Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 02:08:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ross Ulbricht on facebook..  (Read 2014 times)
VolanicEruptor (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:08:31 PM

https://www.facebook.com/rossulbricht?fref=ts

yep that's him.. found him with the gmail address in the indictment.

VolanicEruptor (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:10:13 PM

cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:12:16 PM

He is a pirate!

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
VolanicEruptor (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:12:23 PM

Thoughts on FREEDOM.

July 5, 2010 at 9:32pm

In light Independence Day, I have been inspired to write down my thoughts on freedom, about a page in length. I hope they will stimulate YOUR thoughts, which I would most enjoy hearing.

What does it mean to be free? This word has been used to describe many things, including feelings, states of being, political and social arrangements, mental states, and physical states. Like something beyond the power of words to describe, freedom exists, but only as it occurs to someone experiencing it. Is it possible for someone locked in a cage to be freer than someone who isn’t? What if they are free from limiting beliefs and can imagine experiences without limits, while the other limits themselves to a prison of dull routines? Can freedom stand up to inter-personal comparisons, or is it a wholly personal experience?

Because of its vague nature, it is useful to make further distinctions. One way to identify freedom is by what one is free from. For example, social freedom could describe freedom from limitations imposed by others. Physical freedom could be freedom from physical restraint either imposed by others or by nature. Personal freedom could describe freedom from beliefs one may have about one’s self, others, and nature that limit what one believes is possible. Always, freedom arises in the absence of limitation. When someone is not limited by others, their physical environment, lack of knowledge or skill, or their own beliefs about what is possible; it is natural for them to expand how they express themselves in the world until the next barrier to their self-expression is reached.

One’s limitations can be difficult to identify because they are not always in plain view, especially the self-imposed ones but also the ones imposed by others and nature. For example, death and taxes are widely agreed upon to be inevitable, but are they? While one may have a choice in how they respond to external limitations, this does not negate their existence. Death and taxes are still real and observable, but inevitable? This is an interpretation. It is an extrapolation from the past in an attempt to predict the future, is not the truth and therefore limits what is possible.

That being said, it is my observation that far too much attention is directed, by people in general, toward limitations that arise out of a lack of skill or knowledge that could be better directed toward eliminating self-imposed limitations and one’s beliefs about seemingly inevitable external limitations. This is understandable because, for limitations in skill or knowledge, the problem, solution, and benefit are easy to see and predict. For example, I know I will have more freedom if I know how to play the piano and that all I need to do is learn to play and practice. However, the solution to and benefit of ridding one’s self of a belief such as “I’m shy” or “telepathy is impossible” are not so apparent. Imagine how rich and fulfilling your life could be, well beyond learning a new skill, if you could let go of the beliefs you have that limit you and live your life to its fullest potential. Imagine what could be accomplished and experienced.

Are you free? Yes and no. Freedom is a relative and unquantifiable thing. The question is, “How can I be freer?” and the answer to that depends on YOU. For me, I could be freer by letting go of beliefs like “life is hard,” “if you want something done right you should do it yourself,” “why try, I’ll probably fail” and so on. I could also be freer by creating and acquiring more resources that allow me to express myself in bigger and broader ways, both physical in form and in the form of relationships.

Let Independence Day be a reminder to us that we live in a most unique time, and are freer, as a generation, than any that has come before us. Let us be thankful for our freedom, and build a world where we, and the generations that follow us, will be freer than any that have come before!"

the irony

andrewbadr

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

Posts made Jan-March 2017 are not by me

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:13:18 PM

Are you sure? It says that this person lives in Austin.
VolanicEruptor (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:14:05 PM

I typed in the email address from the criminal report, and got his profile.  I didn't even type in the name..
it is him.

Astro

Activity: 284

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:18:57 PM

The blogs are saying he was from Austin but was living in SF under an assumed identity.
VolanicEruptor (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:20:36 PM

Sad thing is he looks so young.  Can anyone guess how many years he will get?

ingrownpocket
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:21:32 PM

Probably life in jail.
greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:36:18 PM

Probably life in jail.

hes gonna get like 15-25 years...depending if they actually did kill someone.

this is very bad press for the bitcoin community.
VolanicEruptor (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:49:38 PM

Sad thing is he looks so young.  Can anyone guess how many years he will get?
Probably life in jail.

hes gonna get like 15-25 years...depending if they actually did kill someone.

From what I have read from the report, it appears as though the "hitman" scammed him, with a fake picture of the "victim".  I assume this because it was then noted that there was no homicide in White Rock, BC at that time (where the victim supposedly lived with a wife and 3 kids).  

Ipsum

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:02:47 PM

Hopefully at least 20.
coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:10:11 PM

I'm not so sure.  It may be seen as an indicator that bitcoin is "growing up".  VCs and investors are increasingly becoming interested in using bitcoin for payments, and with the upcoming implementation of the payment protocol, the so-called anonymity of bitcoin is effectively eliminated - a step that is necessary for bitcoin to gain mass adoption with approval from regulators (in the US).  That will certainly rub some people the wrong way, but consider the incentives at play for early adopters who have no choice but to sacrifice some privacy in order to preserve their bitcoin fortunes...

It will be interesting to see the market reaction over the next few weeks.

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: