Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:52:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: libbitcoin  (Read 92415 times)
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 06:00:40 AM

I've managed to get libbitcoin built on osx!  I'm still having trouble with obelisk and sx, but libbitcoin and pybitcointools seem to be working!

https://github.com/WyseNynja/homebrew-bitcoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ngenko

Activity: 76
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:00:12 PM

I find this initiative very interesting, especially with respect to what is happening at the foundation and the regulator going to put pressure on the bitcoin community.

I'm not a developer, so I cannot really help you guys in enhancing the implementation. However, I would be happy to use my BFL miner to mine libbitcoins.

As far as I understood, there is no mining pool and nothing plug-and-play to start mining libbitcoin.
Is there any plan to realase it?
lclc

Activity: 298
Merit: 275

Bitcoin Association Switzerland

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 03:07:34 PM

However, I would be happy to use my BFL miner to mine libbitcoins.
As far as I understood, there is no mining pool and nothing plug-and-play to start mining libbitcoin.
Is there any plan to realase it?

I think you misunderstand libbitcoin. It's not a altcoin, it's a alternative implementation of Bitcoin but with the same blockchain, same protocol etc etc.
So it's the same Bitcoin, the same coins.
It's still a very important project (more important than yet another altcoin) as it is absolutely independent from the foundation.
You might just donate some of the mined Bitcoins you made to the DarkWallet fundraising, which is also from them (and using libbitcoin as a server-backend) to support it.

ngenko

Activity: 76
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 03:46:45 PM

I think you misunderstand libbitcoin. It's not a altcoin, it's a alternative implementation of Bitcoin but with the same blockchain, same protocol etc etc.
It's still a very important project (more important than yet another altcoin) as it is absolutely independent from the foundation.
You might just donate some of the mined Bitcoins you made to the DarkWallet fundraising, which is also from them (and using libbitcoin as a server-backend) to support it.

Right, there is something that I misunderstand then. If it's an alternative implementation but with the same blockchain, what does it mean?
using libbitcoin means using another wallet than the official one (using darkwallet instead of Multibit?)?

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:42:29 PM

Right, there is something that I misunderstand then. If it's an alternative implementation but with the same blockchain, what does it mean?
using libbitcoin means using another wallet than the official one (using darkwallet instead of Multibit?)?

libbitcoin is a programming library for bitcoin client functions.  It's not a client unto itself, but makes the building of clients easier and more uniform.  Darkwallet is, indeed, based upon libbitcoin.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
RayG

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:43:49 AM

Has anyone ever managed to build libbitcoin library for Windows? I'm offering 0.5 BTC for working solution here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=358298.0.

genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1071

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 06:26:16 PM

New library for interfacing with Obelisk servers and doing Bitcoin functionality.

Pure Python so library is easily portable to platforms that can run a Python interpreter.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=354607

https://github.com/darkwallet/python-obelisk/

See examples/ directory.

This is a collaboration between Pablo Martin's ZMQ/Obelisk implementation, Robert Williamson's blockalchemy library and code from ThomasV's Electrum.

Obelisk is a scalable blockchain query infrastructure. See the setup guide. There is a public server available at 37.139.11.99:9091 but I wouldn't use it for anything production (besides testing).

A pure Python library is great because it can be deployed easily without requiring dependencies. This allows code to be ported across many platforms such as the mobile phone with Kivy, desktops or any platform running Python.

Features:

* Blockchain queries and navigation through Obelisk servers.
* Construct & sign transactions.
* BIP32 hierarchical wallet.
* Traverse the blockchain using a syntax similar to Django ORM / SQL alchemy.

Use cases:

* Website payment backend (store and manage the keys yourself).
* Wallet software.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 04:46:15 PM

I've created a new library which will have non-critical code (like
deterministic wallets, key formats and selecting outputs) ported from
libbitcoin to libwallet.

This will keep libbitcoin focused on its core functionality. The client
side stuff is less important considering all the wallet development done
in Python, JavaScript .etc libbitcoin is aimed at server software.

https://github.com/spesmilo/libwallet

The install-sx.sh has been updated to reflect this. Users simply need to
re-run the script to update.

-------------

BTW we have a mailing list: https://mailinglists.dyne.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/libbitcoin
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 12:02:24 AM

Hi!

I've made significant performance increases for the blockchain by creating a custom database that outperforms the more conventional LevelDB. This is still a work in progress and won't be in libbitcoin at least for some time. You can read more about more research here:

https://wiki.unsystem.net/index.php/Libbitcoin/Blockchain

More optimisation is possible too.

Writes:

Reads:

maaku
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 12:38:37 AM

genjix, your wiki is incorrect. LevelDB is a log-structured merge tree which is an append-only data structure periodically compacted into new files. I just took a cursory glance, but mmht looks like it would have similar performance characteristics. Have you benchmarked HyperLevelDB? I would expect that the difference in performance is probably mostly due to *LevelDB's compaction and durability features (which aren't something you can hand-wave away.. I don't want my server to suddenly go down for 24 hours because the db got corrupted and it has to resync the block chain).

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 02:50:20 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2014, 10:37:44 AM by genjix

blaa blaa blaa *I just took a cursory glance* blaa blaa blaa

http://symas.com/is-lmdb-a-leveldb-killer/
lclc

Activity: 298
Merit: 275

Bitcoin Association Switzerland

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 09:35:00 AM

Looks good, I'll try it.

Do you know RocksDB?  Facebook tooked LevelDB and made some improvements that it runs faster on system with less memory. Maybe you can find some ideas there too: http://rocksdb.org/
I don't understands DB internals, just read it in the news.

Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 01:39:08 PM

maaku is correct that LevelDB does not use b-trees internally. Your wiki claims that it does.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:13:56 PM

https://wiki.unsystem.net/index.php/Libbitcoin/Open_tasks

feel free to send me an email <myusername>@riseup.net
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 10:27:39 AM

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi!

I've just released new versions of libbitcoin, obelisk, and sx.
This marks the first major release of Obelisk and SX. The version number
of libbitcoin has been bumped to 2.0, and I recommend everyone to upgrade.
This release has important bug fixes and code quality improvements.
I strongly recommend people to upgrade Obelisk if they were running the
unstable tarball.

These packages will be maintained for some time, with bug fixes backported.
I'll also help with upgrading code to newer versions as the API changes
(just send me a message).

sha256sum of tarballs:

3dfcf1cbe12c1d04443f1a467302e4a7ddd81a9e5afe16a3eae3bfdfd921e0be  libbitcoin-2.0.tar.bz2
940782033118e65a44a645291bfb5def96b7b423933e4de330c9d9852a4c166d  libwallet-0.4.tar.bz2
8a76e2075f6488bc8bc6487e09d9485986304c939945771102a92859d2bf0f42  obelisk-1.0.tar.bz2
3dc8688a511c9f5d698920ee2d47ae81c7dfd76f80307a1b97a04cbbebb07746  sx-1.0.tar.bz2

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.12 (GNU/Linux)
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=UsJt
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:50:24 PM

WARNING: I just upgraded libbitcoin to new style compressed public keys. This will produce incompatibility with generating addresses on old-style Electrum deterministic wallets. Generating private keys is still fine, but the addresses will look different. I suggest moving funds off your wallet before upgrading and then moving them back after.

Anyone who needs the old style uncompressed keys, can use the latest libbitcoin tarball release off the website rather than the Git repo.
grux

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:05:11 AM

Can I apply github flavored markdown to make fancy it up, like on bitcoin's github repo?
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 11:18:17 PM

I'm trying to get this working on OS X again now that new versions are out.

https://github.com/WyseNynja/homebrew-bitcoin/issues/19
https://github.com/WyseNynja/homebrew-bitcoin/issues/20
https://github.com/WyseNynja/homebrew-bitcoin/issues/21

Prayer

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 10:37:47 PM

I'm trying to build libbitcoin on FreeBSD 10.  I gave up on clang due to several issues in the source (missing braces and such) and installed gcc 4.9.

Things are looking a bit better, but I'm running into a different problem.  This isn't libbitcoin specific, but this is the source I'm trying to build and haven't had any luck with google.

In network.lo, I get an error that to_string is not a member of std.  I verified this to be a gcc problem by making a small test file and compiling it with various options.  None are working, but I can compile cleanly with clang.

Any pointers on how to build on FreeBSD (with clang or gcc)?

Thanks,

BTC/BEN:1PrayerRDDE2fohojZBQEwyjF2vsbz6eKw
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 02:45:53 PM

I'm trying to build libbitcoin on FreeBSD 10.  I gave up on clang due to several issues in the source (missing braces and such) and installed gcc 4.9.

Things are looking a bit better, but I'm running into a different problem.  This isn't libbitcoin specific, but this is the source I'm trying to build and haven't had any luck with google.

In network.lo, I get an error that to_string is not a member of std.  I verified this to be a gcc problem by making a small test file and compiling it with various options.  None are working, but I can compile cleanly with clang.

Any pointers on how to build on FreeBSD (with clang or gcc)?

Thanks,

Are you able to provide a virtual machine image for me to take a look? BTW I'm genjix on #darkwallet on Freenode IRC
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: