Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:10:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: End of Silk Road is good for the long run  (Read 3349 times)
goxed (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:08:15 PM

Many people associated BTC with drugs and illegal activity. Once the smoke settles, BTC will be partially absolved of the obvious user of such activities. All that remains for MSM to broadcast are white activities and it will get more people interested in investing. Unfortunately we will have to wait for as much as a few months before consolidation is complete. The wise are probably getting their dry powder ready and getting the fishing hooks ready at different levels like $80, $70, $50, etc.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:10:06 PM

I believe so also, I posted this in another thread. I'm glad this has happened. It shows the law enforcement and the tax man that they can handle both illegal and legal uses of bitcoin. I've always disliked the SR media coverage and association with bitcoin. Others will fill the gap, they already exist, but they will think twice and may very well get caught themselves.
mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:12:25 PM

Many people associated BTC with drugs and illegal activity. Once the smoke settles, BTC will be partially absolved of the obvious user of such activities. All that remains for MSM to broadcast are white activities and it will get more people interested in investing. Unfortunately we will have to wait for as much as a few months before consolidation is complete. The wise are probably getting their dry powder ready and getting the fishing hooks ready at different levels like $80, $70, $50, etc.

I think we are already near bottom.

Another site will pop up to take over Silk Road's business. This one won't be located in the US and the owners will be even more careful. There is a lot of money to be make in the black market and it's not going to disappear just because one site got busted.
NamelessOne
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:16:58 PM

Another site will pop up to take over Silk Road's business. This one won't be located in the US and the owners will be even more careful. There is a lot of money to be make in the black market and it's not going to disappear just because one site got busted.

Yes others will come. I'm just glad the USA law enforcement feels secure in their own territory about this. If bitcoin can exist legally and they can do their jobs, it gives them less reason to fight it.
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:18:07 PM

IMO, not near the bottom. this is just the volatility of this market. we have a way down to go.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:18:56 PM

I agree. As long as law enforcement thought people could be truly anonymous online they would fight bitcoin. If anything this should confirm the governments ability to handle this new sphere of technology and thus not be so paranoid about it.

more or less retired.
NamelessOne
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:22:41 PM

I agree. As long as law enforcement thought people could be truly anonymous online they would fight bitcoin. If anything this should confirm the governments ability to handle this new sphere of technology and thus not be so paranoid about it.
Yes, exactly my thoughts. This will create a whole new vibe among the senators and law makers that know little about bitcoin.  All they will hear is 'so honest businesses can use Bitcoin AND we can catch the drug trafficing users. Great!'
abacus

Activity: 618

a clockwork miner

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:24:42 PM

I think the same too. Its closing is a good thing for the bitcoin ecosystem.

Furthermore, the long run could be shorter than what we currently think.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:27:40 PM

There are already established clones. You can't do much worse than have a operator who was visited by DHS in July, volunteered information about buying fake ID through SR, and apparently still thought himself untouchable enough to continue business as usual (either that, or he isn't the anarchist we thought he was). So yes - SR's disappearance is good long-term for using BTC to purchase illicit goods online, because I can't imagine much worse.
 Roll Eyes  Tongue
dragonkid

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:28:31 PM

The only regret I have is, I never actually visited SR before. I always tell myself, I got to see what it's like. I guess, I will never know now.

NamelessOne
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:29:17 PM

There are already established clones. You can't do much worse than have a operator who was visited by DHS in July, volunteered information about buying fake ID through SR, and apparently still thought himself untouchable enough to continue business as usual (either that, or he isn't the anarchist we thought he was). So yes - SR's disappearance is good long-term for using BTC to purchase illicit goods online, because I can't imagine much worse.
 Roll Eyes  Tongue
Yeah the clones have existed for a while.
Missionary

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 06:32:23 PM

This is a good day for Bitcoin! I have been hoping for this day for a while. I really hope that there won't be a successor to SR, but I guess that's just wishful thinking.

Bitcoin does not need SR and we are better of without it!

I am an evangelical missionary heading to China. Donations are welcome here (dedicated wallet): 1H8iswayfTaRb6oe2WjMCRmchBJHYyfx9z
You can find more information about my plans here: http://btcmission.com
BitVegas

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:33:49 PM

Does the fed really now own 3.6 million BTC? That's around 30% of all current bitcoins.

This worries me a lot.

NamelessOne
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:34:31 PM

This is a good day for Bitcoin! I have been hoping for this day for a while. I really hope that there won't be a successor to SR, but I guess that's just wishful thinking.

Bitcoin does not need SR and we are better of without it!
There will be, they've already been waiting for this moment. But this is a good PR day for the US government. Lawmakers will get the impression they can catch illegal businesses using bitcoin.
abacus

Activity: 618

a clockwork miner

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:38:27 PM

Does the fed really now own 3.6 million BTC? That's around 30% of all current bitcoins.

This worries me a lot.
$3.6 Million WORTH of btc NOT 3.6 million BTC

Yep!

There have been reports that, in the arrest of Ulbricht, 26,000 bitcoins were seized, which equated to around $3.26m at the close of yesterday, but $2.47m at the time of writing.

http://www.coindesk.com/silk-road-allegedly-shut-owner-ross-william-ulbricht-arrested/
Thursday

Activity: 150

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:38:50 PM

Bunch of idiots in this thread worried about what law enforcement thinks about Bitcoin.  I don't fucking care what the masses or the feds think of Bitcoin, because I know what Bitcoin is.  Stop being so caught up in Bitcoins image.

This worries me a lot.

Bitcoins worth 3.6 million!

1AXBRFK5a8dP7z8T3gb3hvUjm2F6KYFmgS
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:39:07 PM

good for mtgox too. helps them stay afloat and recoup lost money

ok
Manna

Activity: 159

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:41:58 PM

For rational reason we should see a huge rise in next weeks.
For emotional and weak hand reasons it should go downward.

Time will tell, first one is more likely to occure, because of the shutdown of SR, we see that Bitcoin never brings full anonomity and gov can track you also with TOR.
LittleD

Activity: 560

StayFocus and LIVE

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:46:27 PM

This worries me a lot.
$3.6 Million WORTH of btc NOT 3.6 million BTC

Yep!

There have been reports that, in the arrest of Ulbricht, 26,000 bitcoins were seized, which equated to around $3.26m at the close of yesterday, but $2.47m at the time of writing.

http://www.coindesk.com/silk-road-allegedly-shut-owner-ross-william-ulbricht-arrested/

what ? wow  Shocked

Fallow me on Twitter  ~ Please donate for a cup of Coffee 1KtqBcK7dVPjFugCcCM7G2MGzTZaQH1FTQ Smiley
https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=11253 ~ StayFocus!
TooCasual

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

You can't be Serious?!?

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:10:06 PM

Well, your right (OP)... But we all gotta thank the darkness of SR to kickoff BTC in the beginning... without it, BTC and other crypto's would never have seen the light of day... well not at the rise it did anyway.  I am truly glad we will never hear the media over abusing the drug/illegal (SR/Atlantis) scene associated with BTC again!! New ones will sure to replace no doubt... but wont have the infamy of SR. 

I think this will bolster new legal/legit investments into BTC in the future... Smiley

TC.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: