Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:35:29 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dread Pirate Roberts (silk road) arrest warrant  (Read 5732 times)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 02:48:48 PM

What would have been really cool as a backup plan is that someone else that he really trusts had access to a copy of wallet.dat with the 26,000 bitcoin in them.
And now that the is arrested he could tell that person the password so they are transferred out of that wallet that the FBI has "confisquated"
My understanding is that th FBI "moved the coins to an address under their control". But that would have been a savvy backup plan.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 03:10:11 PM

I'm not sure I'm buying this guy as DPR. Someone runs the SR for 3 years and then is stupid enough to try to hire a hitman off of it?? Doesn't make sense. Plus, the video of him on YT doesn't give me the impression of someone who would build such a site.

Either SR was a gov't limited hangout all along, or they were able to close the site but still have no idea who DPR is, so they made one up. My guess is that it was a limited hangout all along, and this Ulbricht guy is just another actor.

I'm grumpy!!
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 03:13:59 PM

I'm not sure I'm buying this guy as DPR. Someone runs the SR for 3 years and then is stupid enough to try to hire a hitman off of it?? Doesn't make sense. Plus, the video of him on YT doesn't give me the impression of someone who would build such a site.

Either SR was a gov't limited hangout all along, or they were able to close the site but still have no idea who DPR is, so they made one up. My guess is that it was a limited hangout all along, and this Ulbricht guy is just another actor.

Based on...?
I just don't see an actor going to jail for years. Why?

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 03:27:34 PM

Based on...?

Money
Perhaps. I would do it for a billion dollars. But I mean why would the gov do it?

markjamrobin

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 04:08:33 PM

Based on...?

Money
Perhaps. I would do it for a billion dollars. But I mean why would the gov do it?

No point for government to pay someone to go to jail, seems like a waste of time and money.

cycloid

Activity: 434

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 11:07:41 PM

What would have been really cool as a backup plan is that someone else that he really trusts had access to a copy of wallet.dat with the 26,000 bitcoin in them.
And now that the is arrested he could tell that person the password so they are transferred out of that wallet that the FBI has "confisquated"

The fact that such a simple plan was not in place is why I could care less what happens to this guy.

He could have had all that money go to charity anything but FBI

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 11:24:57 PM

My understanding is that th FBI "moved the coins to an address under their control". But that would have been a savvy backup plan.

Yep.  The 26,000 were the BTC in escrow.  The keys for those addresses had to be on the server because the payment process was automated.  While SR staff had access to the server, the feds had a protective order authorising them to sweep coins from the escrow accounts (and any other accounts identified as belonging to the defendants) into an address controlled by the authorities. 

It didn't matter whether someone else had a copy of  the wallet.dat because that "someone else" wasn't aware of any need to move the coins prior to the domain seizure notice going up - the same protective order which authorised them to seize the domain authorised the feds to move the coins.  It also authorises them to sweep any coins which continue going into the SR accounts (ie, coins from transactions pending) before shutting down the SR servers.  3, 4 and 5 are the relevant parts of the protective order.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/10/03/nyregion/03silkroad-documents.html?_r=0

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
cycloid

Activity: 434

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 12:31:56 AM

Yep.  The 26,000 were the BTC in escrow.  The keys for those addresses had to be on the server because the payment process was automated.  While SR staff had access to the server, the feds had a protective order authorising them to sweep coins from the escrow accounts (and any other accounts identified as belonging to the defendants) into an address controlled by the authorities. 

It didn't matter whether someone else had a copy of  the wallet.dat because that "someone else" wasn't aware of any need to move the coins prior to the domain seizure notice going up - the same protective order which authorised them to seize the domain authorised the feds to move the coins.  It also authorises them to sweep any coins which continue going into the SR accounts (ie, coins from transactions pending) before shutting down the SR servers.  3, 4 and 5 are the relevant parts of the protective order.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/10/03/nyregion/03silkroad-documents.html?_r=0

Well put.

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 02:02:05 AM
Last edit: October 08, 2013, 02:19:51 AM by cryptoanarchist

Based on...?

Money

No point for government to pay someone to go to jail, seems like a waste of time and money.

The powers that be wouldn't need to send their actor to jail. It's just a face and a name - there's millions of 'em. They made up Adam Lanza, I'm sure they can make up a fake dude as DPR.

I'm grumpy!!
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: