Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 11:11:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the downfall of Silkroad will be the partnership of bitcoin and the US gov  (Read 2705 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:11:45 PM

Today some teams career will have been made on the arrest of silk roads owner. What it also means is that the US government has become one of the larger BTC holders out there via their seizure. It also means that the government is finding its feet in terms of understanding bitcoin.

This is very important in terms of the US government being a partner in Bitcoin. It proves to them that bitcoin is not beyond their reach or understanding. It means that some of the best experts on bitcoin are within the FBI and financial crimes departments. Is is an important step towards proper regulation and support by the government. It also means that scams will be less easy to pull off. The victims of pirate should be happy knowing this, as should future investors be comforted in knowing the government it not totally powerless to enforce law and order in the virtual space.

Maybe you won't buy as many drugs online from here on out, but we can look forward to buying a lot more normal, legal, things.

It's a good day (scary on the exchanges) but a good day nonetheless.

more or less retired.
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:15:12 PM

proper regulation

If the government regulates Bitcoin like it regulates the Big Banks, count me in. If the government regulates Bitcoin like it regulates small businesses, count me out.
Thursday

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:25:34 PM

Is op an idiot that doesn't understand bitcoin?  One of the premises behind Bitcoin is to be out of the guberments reach.  Go start an altcoin and get the Feds stamp of approval if that's what you want, better yet just use dollars.

1AXBRFK5a8dP7z8T3gb3hvUjm2F6KYFmgS
Torn

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

Free Dog to good home

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:31:37 PM

proper regulation

If the government regulates Bitcoin like it regulates the Big Banks, count me in. If the government regulates Bitcoin like it regulates small businesses, count me out.

Regulates big banks as in bailing them out with future tax receipts? Or as in giving them trillions of fiat dollars to destroy the economy fully?
What are you even doing here? Are you just a stooge for corporate control and more massive government intrusion? Do you even know who owns/runs Big Banks?

I do not actually expect answers since your post tells me all I care to about what you like. Me, I'd like to see them burnt to the ground and the criminals that run them tarred, feathered and run out of town. They are the worst kind of scum blood suckers there are on the planet.

Be well.

Will not trade sex for coins regardless of rumors! You may still attempt if you want.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:44:57 PM

Anarchistic marketist? "the synonym of usury is ruin"?

You need to get your message straight, my friend.

Vires in numeris
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3178
Merit: 4369

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:47:04 PM

oh nice, daddy/god/state will protect us  Roll Eyes

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Severian

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:48:03 PM

I need to add an /s tag.

I prefer sarcasm to flaming OP.
AC130AS

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:48:25 PM

tsk-tsk, isnt the reason bitcoin was created for was anonymity? No, do you care if someone you dont know is using drugs, of course not!These people came to the silk road to avoid prosecution, before Marijuana became medically legal in my state, I had to resort to the sil road for my herniated disk in my spine, I hated the vicodin doctors gave me because, I felt if in needed more and stopped, but withdrawl kicked in. Soon after 2012 if got my medical card. But to those states that face prosecution still, it affected them greatly, and yet resorted to SR, SR in my opinion is a life saver, but now I guess we cant be ourselves, we cant be secret without knowing what the feds are watching you like fucking dogs.

In my opinion, we are fucked, bitcoin prices fell, and now our mining equipment is shit. Truly a bad day in BTC history. But then yet, Marijuana will be legal still in colorado, im saving my coin, so I can get out of here. Like it or not we have our own opinion. Cry
Severian

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:49:10 PM

I do not actually expect answers since your post tells me all I care to about what you like.

See my post previous to this one.

Be well.

Returned.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:53:57 PM

I need to add an /s tag.

I prefer sarcasm to flaming OP.

Hyperbole is your friend when it comes to successful sarcasm in written text, we can't just imagine the tone of voice you were posting with!

Vires in numeris
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:55:00 PM

Today some teams career will have been made on the arrest of silk roads owner. What it also means is that the US government has become one of the larger BTC holders out there via their seizure. It also means that the government is finding its feet in terms of understanding bitcoin.

This is very important in terms of the US government being a partner in Bitcoin. It proves to them that bitcoin is not beyond their reach or understanding. It means that some of the best experts on bitcoin are within the FBI and financial crimes departments. Is is an important step towards proper regulation and support by the government. It also means that scams will be less easy to pull off. The victims of pirate should be happy knowing this, as should future investors be comforted in knowing the government it not totally powerless to enforce law and order in the virtual space.

Maybe you won't buy as many drugs online from here on out, but we can look forward to buying a lot more normal, legal, things.

OK. And why shouldnt be no second Silk Road within the next months? Contenders are already lining up and preparing themselves. 150.000$+ a month are to be made.

mkbit88

Activity: 51

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 09:54:01 PM

I recently made a thread speculating what would happen if a government seized a sizable amount of BTC.

Im definitely grabbing the popcorn on this one.

There certainly wont be anything done with the coin until the case is over. Who knows, maybe it will get sold off for cheap at some government auction. Although, I'm sure DPR has a paper wallet somewhere, so the seizing authorities would be dumb to not transfer them in to another wallet they completely control. It would be awesome if the agent "accidentally" included a massive transaction fee.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 10:37:23 PM

This is very important in terms of the US government being a partner in Bitcoin. It proves to them that bitcoin is not beyond their reach or understanding. It means that some of the best experts on bitcoin are within the FBI and financial crimes departments.

Flesh out these arguments, if you will. I have a feeling it'll reveal the mistaken assumptions and various other errors you've made, though in any case it'd be a good exercise.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 10:56:59 PM

The gov can no more be a partner with bitcoin then I can be a partner with nature.  I might be able to visit it, use it for my enjoyment and benefit, or even try to burn some of it down but it will just grow elsewhere and go on after I'm long gone.

AC130AS

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 11:01:58 PM

The gov can no more be a partner with bitcoin then I can be a partner with nature.  I might be able to visit it, use it for my enjoyment and benefit, or even try to burn some of it down but it will just grow elsewhere and go on after I'm long gone.

YES.......Marijuana must be conserved
gwedo

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 12:52:45 PM

I can't believe DPR put all his bitcoin into only one wallet and did not make any password. And did not make any cold copies which are saved in secret stash.
Especially when only on provision he earned over 600 thousands bitcoin.
I think he must have somewhere some cash.
And besides it, what is also interesting, government sells these bitcoins (suppose they will not disappear somehow) after the trial will be over and DPR jailed. But at that time they could have 100 times bigger value than now.
And what government will do with so much money?
Pay a fraction of interest on state debt or buy some guns for the army? I am sure if they do anything it probably will be worse than let the money in Ulbrichts hands.

Hello world
alpha492

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 12:57:14 PM

IMO

Gov. Regulation of BTC + No SR = Death of BTC

Really if the gov. starts fiddling around with BTC why not just go back to USD, wtf would be the difference at all?

kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:02:04 PM

Is op an idiot that doesn't understand bitcoin?  One of the premises behind Bitcoin is to be out of the guberments reach.  Go start an altcoin and get the Feds stamp of approval if that's what you want, better yet just use dollars.

Do you really need to call someone an idiot if you disagree with him?

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:05:54 PM

IMO

Gov. Regulation of BTC + No SR = Death of BTC

Really if the gov. starts fiddling around with BTC why not just go back to USD, wtf would be the difference at all?

Would you rather have the government ban BTC?
CrazyRabbi

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:09:00 PM

Ohh crazy_rabbit...

My friend , my friend , Apply your palm to your face.. you'll feel much better...

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: