Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:09:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Government Done Hacking the Forums?  (Read 4692 times)
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 08:57:38 AM

dont worry bitcoin talk will never go down again ever

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 08:59:19 AM

BFL does white minirigs now? So cool.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 09:00:12 AM

99% chance this was a Gov op . There is no such thing as coincidences,,Fairy farts or Unicorns ...... Have you guys been living under a rock for the past year? Have you seen or read what our government has been doing lately? This Forum held a treasure trove of information about Bitcoin users and what they are up to. This is just the beginning of the Governments New War on BitCoin and Crypto. The "Hole Seekers" are just another NSA asset.
Must have been a long setup through.

and whats your opinion of this TF? you think it was gov't or what?

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
r3wt

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 09:01:13 AM

BFL does white minirigs now? So cool.

hey atleast they put these new white models together better than those mini rigs.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 09:06:07 AM

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 09:07:12 AM

99% chance this was a Gov op . There is no such thing as coincidences,,Fairy farts or Unicorns ...... Have you guys been living under a rock for the past year? Have you seen or read what our government has been doing lately? This Forum held a treasure trove of information about Bitcoin users and what they are up to. This is just the beginning of the Governments New War on BitCoin and Crypto. The "Hole Seekers" are just another NSA asset.

The government doesn't need to do this if they want contents on the forum.
r3wt

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 09:09:24 AM

exactly.

ShroomsKit

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 09:32:10 AM

It was someone from Something Awful.
99% it was the government  Huh
The paranoia of people on the internet is at an all time high. Any sense of reality seems to be completely gone.
How can you even begin to claim things like this. 99% sure. Crazy. There are a 100 other options more likely than the government doing is.

Its price is not a very relevant factor in its adoption....
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 10:32:41 AM

But what if the intent of the hack was to disrupt the bitcoin community rather than to gather information?
It didn't work very well, then.
zeeshanblc

Activity: 390
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 02:54:00 PM

Just script kiddies getting bored.
RoadToHell

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 03:42:43 PM

I really doubt it was the government.  They had previously tabbed bitcointalk as too big to fail.  It's downfall could lead to the unraveling of the entire bitcoin economy.

oh wait

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 05:16:27 PM

But what if the intent of the hack was to disrupt the bitcoin community rather than to gather information?

Utterly absurd - they didn't touch Reddit or take down the IRC channel on Freenode (both of which they could've done quite easily). Bitcointalk is FAR from the only gathering place. There is no logical reason to conclude that the government was behind this, not least of which is the sloppy post-hack defacement.

vite
Legendary

Activity: 1018

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 01:17:53 AM

Any theymos or thermos related post requires this pic.

ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 01:28:32 AM

It isn't their MO.  Their MO is what they did on SR.  The logged in as a user under cover, they copied the whole thing so they could analyze it in their own lab, and when they were ready they seized the site.  There was never a defacement & inconvenience phase.

DDoS on exchanges may be in their MO, as evidenced by a cluster of (DDoS, bank account closings, and legal action, calendar time) against unlicensed BTC exchanges.

I try to be respectful and informed.
surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 02:00:28 AM

DDoS on exchanges may be in their MO, as evidenced by a cluster of (DDoS, bank account closings, and legal action, calendar time) against unlicensed BTC exchanges.

DDoS doesn't really fit either. The ultimate goal from a LE point of view is enforce laws and make arrests, just pissing at a sight doesn't really satisfy these.

When one service goes down from an attack I'd immediately look at the competing services in that market space.
surebet

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 02:22:00 AM

You mean years?

I do wonder who did it as they clearly could have scammed massive. Just seems odd.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=306878.0
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 02:44:33 AM

DDoS doesn't really fit either. The ultimate goal from a LE point of view is enforce laws and make arrests, just pissing at a sight doesn't really satisfy these.

When one service goes down from an attack I'd immediately look at the competing services in that market space.

I pretty much agree with you about the LE focus.  However, I don't see an explanation for the DDoS attacks on Mt. Gox & bitfloor the week before bitfloor got notification from their bank and Mt. Gox ran into complications with USD transfers.  Was there a 3rd DDoS attack in early April?

I try to be respectful and informed.
surebet

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 02:48:04 AM

I pretty much agree with you about the LE focus.  However, I don't see an explanation for the DDoS attacks on Mt. Gox & bitfloor the week before bitfloor got notification from their bank and Mt. Gox ran into complications with USD transfers.  Was there a 3rd DDoS attack in early April?

Oh yeah, the MtGox DDoS .

It's funny how their service becomes an unstable piece of shit right in the middle of a crash.

As for bitfloor, I'd look again at competing services.
Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:31:55 AM

But as for how we can be fairly sure (not certain, granted) that this was the US government, well I think Occam's razor works here.

A php forum gets hacked and the simplest explanation you can think of is "NSA did it"? William of Ockham is facepalming in his grave.

I wasn't talking about the technical difficulty-or-not of doing the hack - I'm a complete ignoramus re running web services - rather the timing of it. It's the simplest explanation to account for the *timing* of the hack. Well, there was also the other possibility I mentioned - non-gov hackers pissed off at the forum's role in bringing down DPR.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 05:36:52 AM

Did the "Hole Seekers" get all the info they needed?
Unfortunately, yes. They got everything they wanted, and kept getting it for several months...
They didn't steal all the info they want. They received it for months and years simply by requesting it. The "hack" was just a cover up.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: