Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:56:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching wallet.dat files in Bitcoin Core?  (Read 128 times)
mulfrank (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 05:25:52 AM

If I want to use multiple wallets, and I switch the wallet.dat files while Bitcoin core is shut down, is this enough for the wallets to be completely independent, or will this practice result in the wallets sharing some data, like the keypool? Or should I also replace other files, like addr.dat etc?

Which of the other files can also be deleted, because they will be re-created automatically, like the wallet.dat file?

When backing up the wallet.dat file, is there a difference between just copying the file or making a backup using the menu item 'Backup Wallet'?

I'm using Bitcoin Core 0.16.0 on MacOS.
Don911

Activity: 15
Merit: 8

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 01:32:22 AM

I'm wondering the same thing.
fusepay

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 01:52:39 AM

You could always set different data directories from the shortcuts, you can then run different wallets with ease, and not worry about moving / corrupting the wallet.dat files. This would be the safest option and would not jeopardise the system.
Don911

Activity: 15
Merit: 8

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 01:23:20 AM

You could always set different data directories from the shortcuts
I would appreciate if you could explain how you would do that.

Do you suggest to let Bitcoin core start with an empty directory for each new wallet, so it will recreate all new files for each wallet? If so, since I don't want to download the blockchain data again, can I just move the "blocks" folder manually between the different wallet directories, or should I move other files as well, like the "chain state" and "databas" folders?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: