Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 06:20:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I Made A New Bitcoin Convert Today - Here's How...  (Read 750 times)
JavaNomad (OP)

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 06:55:08 AM

New friends visiting my coffee roasting station in Bali yesterday.

THEM: "I want to buy some of your coffee."

ME: "I only sell it for Bitcoin."

THEM: "What's that?" [Insert Brief Explanation Here]... "Show me how to get some and use it..."

15 minutes later: Newbie now has wallet, his first BTC and his first product purchased with Bitcoin.

REPEAT

http://CoffeeCoin.io Blockchain Efficiency For The Specialty Coffee Trade
Anon135246

Activity: 84

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:24:13 AM

Nice one! Do you also ship your coffee?
JavaNomad (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 07:31:10 AM

Yes, The Roast Station Project sells and ships coffee for Bitcoin only - so my main market are coffee fanatics who are already familiar with and using Bitcoin.

It was awesome to make a new bitcoin convert (and customer) "in person" too though!

- James

Anon135246

Activity: 84

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:35:30 AM

I'll take a look at your site Smiley
JavaNomad (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 07:51:10 AM

I'll take a look at your site Smiley

Thanks! Any feedback, questions, comments on the project are welcome and appreciated!

- James

webbrowser

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 08:08:04 AM

Nice!  Did you also sell him the btc?   Wink  Or how did he buy the btc within 15 minutes?
JavaNomad (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 08:13:15 AM

Yes, once he got his wallet set up, I made an in-person sale of my BTC for his fiat. Then he was immediately able to use his newly accquired BTC to purchase our Kintamani Arabica (and have some left over to explore with.)

Sure, I could have just  had him pay in the local currency for the coffee - but we wouldn't have gained a new one! Would have defeated the whole purpose of offering it only in bitcoin LOL.

- James

Nice!  Did you also sell him the btc?   Wink  Or how did he buy the btc within 15 minutes?

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 10:39:22 AM

That's a cool story! It's good that we have new members.
JavaNomad (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 12:26:53 PM

It's good that we have new members.

Thank the post on r/bitcoin announcing this place is back in action. Bet that's helping!

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 12:52:55 PM

It's good that we have new members.

Thank the post on r/bitcoin announcing this place is back in action. Bet that's helping!

I actually didn't see the post on r/bitcoin, I just guessed the site would be back up. Roll Eyes
Coingineer

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 03:24:50 PM

JavaNomad, bitcoin will overtake the local currency by 2020!  Roll Eyes
ER99

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 03:44:01 PM

ok since your a retailer that sells a commodity for bitcoin i'm curious.....how does selling goods for bitcoin (or how will it affect you) if the price per bitcoin plummets to around $1 per bitcoin?

is the price of your commodity pegged to the local fiat currency first and the cost in bitcoin adjusted to match its equivalent price in the fiat currency? or do you have a set bitcoin price for example (a pound of coffee) cost .01 bitcoin per/lb? no matter what the current price per bitcoin is?
Mooshire

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 04:01:07 PM

I wish it was this easy every time

JavaNomad (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 04:09:06 PM

ok since your a retailer that sells a commodity for bitcoin i'm curious.....how does selling goods for bitcoin (or how will it affect you) if the price per bitcoin plummets to around $1 per bitcoin?

is the price of your commodity pegged to the local fiat currency first and the cost in bitcoin adjusted to match its equivalent price in the fiat currency? or do you have a set bitcoin price for example (a pound of coffee) cost .01 bitcoin per/lb? no matter what the current price per bitcoin is?

I hold and use some in bitcoins - because I'm in this for this adoption of BTC. So yes, I certainly take a risk if the value of BTC falls dramatically in a short time.

At the same time, I still need to pay for things like the raw beans, the packaging and the shipping in local fiat - so some of the BTC must be "traded out" to fiat to cover these.

With this in mind, I base my BTC price to reflect the current price in local fiat. (Until the day comes I can do ALL the transactions I need for this project in BTC!)

Coingineer

Activity: 2

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 05:39:13 PM

I hold and use some in bitcoins - because I'm in this for this adoption of BTC. So yes, I certainly take a risk if the value of BTC falls dramatically in a short time.

At the same time, I still need to pay for things like the raw beans, the packaging and the shipping in local fiat - so some of the BTC must be "traded out" to fiat to cover these.

With this in mind, I base my BTC price to reflect the current price in local fiat. (Until the day comes I can do ALL the transactions I need for this project in BTC!)

For those uncomfortable with bitcoin as a store of value, there is always the opportunity to immediately cash out of any bitcoins received (ie. Alice sends 100 bitcoins to Bob; Bob wants to hold US dollars, not bitcoins, so, using one of many exchange platforms, he immediately exchanges his bitcoins for US dollars).
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 05:44:25 PM

One day you might use the profit from that sale to buy a coffee plantation.  Cheesy

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 05:50:40 PM

this is just awesome now if only you could go to walmart and spend your bitcoins !

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: