Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 05:21:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: KNC ASIC Users Thread & FAQ  (Read 8666 times)
Tigggger (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1098
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 11:23:55 AM
Last edit: October 20, 2013, 11:27:37 PM by Tigggger

Thought it might be handy to have a seperate thread where owners can share information, tips, modifications, improvements, addons etc away from the clutter of the 'where's my order' posts in the main thread.

If I see common questions cropping up will add them here as an FAQ reference.

Latest Firmware : 0.96

FAQ
Q: How do I login to view cgminer working.
A: First ensure you have enabled SSH from the web interface.  Next use a program (eg PuTTy http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html). Connect to your miners IP, login:root password:admin then from the command prompt type 'screen -r'. When you are finished press Ctrl + A, D to detach.

Q: My miner settings page is blank and won't load
A: If you make any changes to the pools through cgminer for example adding a second backup pool, then it throws this page off as it's expecting to read only 1 pool. As long as you are mining this can be ignored, hopefully in the future the web interface will allow multiple pools.

Q: What are these errors "KnC: accepted by FPGA 21 works, but only 0 submitted"
A: These are not usually errors (*). They occur when a new block is found. Rather than submitting stale work which will be rejected the machine is getting rid of existing work and loading up new work, this is why there is a pause and hashrate drop as it slowly gets back up to speed.  * If you see these messages one after the other when no new block has been found then that does indicate a problem

Q: I've updated my firmware but it's still showing the old version number
A: The page has been cached, try F5 or Ctrl+F5 that usually fixes it.

Q: What's the deal with the Corsair HX850, is it safe to use or not
A: It's still early days with the investigation that KNC are conducting.  Some miners where caps have blown have used this particular model. The problem is thought to occur when the a safety mechanism in the PSU shuts it down, when it is powered back on it is delivering too much current.  It doesn't appear to be a problem during normal on/off usage only after the PSU has shut itself down.  If you already have this PSU and decide not to change, I would suggest that if you find your machine has shut itself down follow these steps. 1. Disconnect Power. 2. Remove all PCI-E cables. 3. Reconnect power and start with just beaglebone. 4. Run for a couple of minutes. 5. Shutdown 6. Disconnect power 7. Reconnect PCI-E cables 8. Reconnect Power & Restart.

Modifications
Fixing the time.
Machines appear to ship with the time set to UTC, although it's not important it did annoy me not having the correct time, these instructions came from Nanners on the IRC channel and worked for me, replace 'tigggger' with whatever you want.  Note these changes will probably be lost when you reboot, so might require you to repeat step 5 onwards.
1. cd /config
2. mkdir tigggger
3. cd /config/tigggger
4. wget http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/v2012.12/ipk/eglibc/all/tzdata_2012d-r3.0_all.ipk
5. opkg install /config/tigggger/tzdata_2012d-r3.0_all.ipk
6. rm /etc/localtime (NOTE this gave an error for me as the directory wasn't there, but not important just carry on)
7. ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/YOURTIMEZONE /etc/localtime (In my case it was ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London /etc/localtime)
8. cd /
9. /etc/init.d/ntpd reload
10. ntpdate -b -u pool.ntp.org

Now if you look at cgminer the time should be correct.

Addons
uski has created a great little addon to show more information about your miner, like which cores are enabled/disabled, vrm voltages etc.  As this firmware is software based KNC have confirmed that it does not invalidate your warranty.

Available from the KNC Forum
http://forum.kncminer.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/6183-bertmod-0-2-unofficial-firmware-mod-feedback-thread

Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 11:34:37 AM

Thought it might be handy to have a seperate thread where owners can share information, tips, modifications, improvements, addons etc away from the clutter of the 'where's my order' posts in the main thread.

That sounds like a good idea. I have posted my experience and will keep it updated over the next few days.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=306969.0
Tigggger (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 11:40:39 AM

Yours was the post that prompted me, my room temp is only 23 and with my aircon set to 25 it's never coming on.  Initially I thought this was good but the amount of air coming out of the back is quite low so slightly concerned that all the heat is staying in the box.

Look forward to hearing how new fans affect yours.

mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 05:27:51 PM

For those of you who are upgrading the case fans (maybe even going with 120mm fan with an adaptor), what fans are you planning on using?
mjb

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 05:47:54 PM

Thanks for opening this thread.
However, judging from the low SNR of the main KnC thread I would suggest to close this thread and restart it as a self-moderated one before it is discovered by the trolls and people that post their ROI calculations for the 100th time, etc.
DigginDeep

Activity: 59

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 08:12:41 PM

Has anyone mounted some fans in the back to suck the air out?     Or maybe thought about cutting some holes and mounting fans on the top cover?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 08:31:51 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2013, 09:05:45 PM by iCEBREAKER

So far the burn-in seems to be going very well!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 08:43:54 PM

great idea. btw my photos here: http://imgur.com/a/hwZmh#0
amencon

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 10:36:32 PM

Good idea.

Jupiter running for about an hour with v0.93 fw connected to bitminter.  CGminer looks to report 490-520G / ~470Gh/s for hash rates with bitminter reporting 430-450 range.  Averaging about 10% HW rates from what I can tell.

430-450 is less than Sam was announcing but still more than I ordered, unless I'm reading something wrong or just need to give it more time.

When shipped the heat sink shrouds were popped off but in good looking shape other than that (was shipped to US).

Running it with case off and a overhead fan blowing down on it.

Does this match what you guys are seeing with your units?

Oh also, looking at cgminer using putty from a windows machine, I can't see any temperature readings.  Some quick googling seems to indicate that isn't shown while remoting in, any idea if there is way to see this?

Thanks.
Tigggger (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 10:42:28 PM

From talk on the IRC channel there is a wide variety of speeds reported, which I guess it related to how many cores are being disabled.

Some people say 0.90 was the fastest but for me it was the slowest

Personally mine is averaging 530 in CGMiner, usually showing about 20 less at pool, so I'd say yours is on the low side, but they do seem to take a while to stabilise and get up to speed.

There are no temp readings, whether there are sensors on the boards and not enabled yet in the firmware I don't know.

Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 10:47:27 PM

Please make sure to don proper attire when entering a room to troubleshoot a unit.

amencon

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 10:49:34 PM

From talk on the IRC channel there is a wide variety of speeds reported, which I guess it related to how many cores are being disabled.

Some people say 0.90 was the fastest but for me it was the slowest

Personally mine is averaging 530 in CGMiner, usually showing about 20 less at pool, so I'd say yours is on the low side, but they do seem to take a while to stabilise and get up to speed.

There are no temp readings, whether there are sensors on the boards and not enabled yet in the firmware I don't know.
Ok cool, thanks.

I'll keep an eye on it, this thread and KNC for further updates.
joeventura

Activity: 854

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 11:05:22 PM

great idea. btw my photos here: http://imgur.com/a/hwZmh#0

Some controller cards seem to have 4 places to plug in modules and some have 6.

What happened there?

6raygp

Activity: 27

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 11:54:16 PM

To get the cgminer stats on a Jupiter I would just telnet and run cgminer on a laptop correct? Do I need to configure the settings and all? Or is there a way to just see the cgminer stats?

amencon

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 11:55:35 PM

To get the cgminer stats on a Jupiter I would just telnet and run cgminer on a laptop correct? Do I need to configure the settings and all? Or is there a way to just see the cgminer stats?

After you SSH in just type "screen -r" and it should pop up.
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 11:56:30 PM

Turn ssh on in the web interface and ssh into it.  cgminer runs in a screen session and will give you all the awful stats you want.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
qiuness

Activity: 714

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 11:58:11 PM

hmm... what the hell is with that average?! Since friday i got 9BTC so the 5s should be correct?!
anyone any ideas?
Vagnavs
Legendary

Activity: 1121
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 11:58:31 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2013, 02:32:29 AM by Vagnavs

what does the miner show up as?

I can't seem to connect to the unit and hopefully isn't DOA. Such as my Avalon that was DOA.

any help would be greatly appreciated! I will give a bounty for helping me on this
Brian

Avalanche is a must own
qiuness

Activity: 714

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 11:59:06 PM

no name
Vagnavs
Legendary

Activity: 1121
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 12:17:02 AM

no name

okay thanks for the reply. Nothing seems to be working. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Brian

Avalanche is a must own
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: