Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:53:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best safe for storing Bitcoin paper wallets?  (Read 196 times)
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6122

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 10:21:53 AM

The ledger is great but what happens if someone finds your recovery phrase just lying around? Your ledger could wipe itself but you'd still lose all your coins.
The recovery card is basically a paper wallet in itself. I personally wouldn't put them in a safe as doing so would just bring attention to the fact that you've got something in there clearly worth storing. I'd say you'd be better off hiding them in plain view...

Ledger nano S support passphrases like Trezor. This will make the seed useless for anyone who find it (as long as didn't write down).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rodalutor

Activity: 364
Merit: 105

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 02:33:56 PM

If you have a hardware wallet already then a safe is fairly overkill, so much so that I don't think it overly matter exactly what safe you have. My parents have a concealed safe which is something I would recommend (not necessarily for crypto but just in general). It's also fitted which I guess is quite important. If it's small enough that anyone can take the safe with them then almost every safe can be cracked with time.

Thanks for your reply. For me, a safe would be the perfect solution to hide and protect my valuables (like Bitcoin and other altcoin paper wallets). I know that it would be too much for a Ledger Nano S considering its security features, but I think that it's better to protect it from prying eyes, especially when it includes a seed card which serves as a backup for the stored Bitcoin.

Maybe a gun safe, might do the trick, although probably any safe could be opened nowadays. The last option would be a safety deposit box from a bank. Wink

No worries, it's always better to be SAFE than sorry  Embarrassed most likely thing is you'll never ever need to use it but it's a worthwhile precaution. The other thing which is so important as others have said is to have more than one copy of everything, preferably leave it with someone else who you can really trust or just hide it in their house!

Even if someone manages to break in to your house and your safe, the chances are they're not going to know how to handle crypto all that well and you can quickly rush to get your back up copies and move your funds before they get there.

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
☆═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══☆
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

【 BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN 】
☆═━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═☆
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 05:32:10 PM

Hardware wallets are quite safe. If you want paper wallets, Just print out multiple copies of paper wallets and store them at different locations and don't forget to protect your paper wallets with a password/passphrase, If someone has your paper wallets won't be able to take your coins unless they know the password. I'm using Ledger for a year now, It's the best!

Yes. Ledger is the best hardware wallet around. The reason for this is that it has numerous security features. However, I would still prefer to secure the hardware wallet in a safe place where no one can suspect about it. This is because, if someone sees the Ledger wallet, they might be able to find the recovery card, making it a security flaw. As such, I would like to secure both the card, and the Ledger wallet as well as paper wallets (which are unencrypted) into a hardened safe that's hard to break into.

Despite this, I agree that encrypted paper wallets are much more secure (when compared against unencrypted paper wallets) as the other person would need to know the password to unlock it. The longer the password, the harder it will be to decipher it.

Well, your Ledger should be quite safe by itself. But if you do want a safe or a storage space, I wouldn't suggest that you use a safe. A safe is the first place that a would be robber would look for money or your Bitcoin in this case. I'd suggest that you keep it somewhere where they will never suspect. My friend sticks his paper wallet in side a faulty floorboard. It is convenient and quite safe. Another one puts it in the bonnet of his car.

You do have a point there, mate. Safes are not stealth and can easily be identified by any robber. As such, I think that the best solution here would be to use diversion safes. I've seen many on sale within eBay from book diversion safes, to battery diversion safes, and more. Considering that public and private keys can be stored in any small place, you can easily hide your cryptocurrency balances from prying eyes.

I would rather store my piece of paper in some hidden location, for example behind your base frame of your bed. When you decide to store it in a safe, a burglar definitely knows that you got something valuable to hide, while they wouldn't search for a piece of paper when they don't know that you own Bitcoins. A safe can also be stolen if the burglar has enough time to get it out of your house and later be dismantled.

Yes. I'm better off with something stealth that will divert the attention of the robber when he breaks into my home. Since cryptocurrencies can be stored nearly anywhere you can imagine (all you need is the keys), then they could be hidden from prying eyes. I'm thinking of getting a diversion safe in the form of an AJAX can. I'll place the keys there in a piece of paper and put the can where other AJAX cans are to hide my crypto balances from theft. Perhaps, that's the safest best so far for my Bitcoin and altcoin paper wallets.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
willowfoot

Activity: 332
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 05:51:07 PM

you can also, with a decoy safe, buy a cheap one and place it in an obvious place, like corner closet.

Put a handful of valuables in there, so if someone is snooping around they will focus on the safe.  If they break it will will be content.

while your private key is somewhere else.

Best place though is just to memorize your private key  Shocked

artemchernov503

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 07:42:00 AM

Hello. I would like to know who you are investing in. How to invest in the Crypto currency and I have been investing for 2 years 3 but I would like to know about others Who lives
Pamela Jobelle

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 07:52:13 AM

We are observing that exchanges are being hacked though they are being backed up by ethical hackers making it a tough time for us to trust on exchanges. Put a handful of valuables in there, so if someone is snooping around they will focus on the safe.  If they break it will be content. while your private key is somewhere else.
Aura

Activity: 518
Merit: 268

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 03:06:00 PM

I would rather store my piece of paper in some hidden location, for example behind your base frame of your bed. When you decide to store it in a safe, a burglar definitely knows that you got something valuable to hide, while they wouldn't search for a piece of paper when they don't know that you own Bitcoins. A safe can also be stolen if the burglar has enough time to get it out of your house and later be dismantled.

Yes. I'm better off with something stealth that will divert the attention of the robber when he breaks into my home. Since cryptocurrencies can be stored nearly anywhere you can imagine (all you need is the keys), then they could be hidden from prying eyes. I'm thinking of getting a diversion safe in the form of an AJAX can. I'll place the keys there in a piece of paper and put the can where other AJAX cans are to hide my crypto balances from theft. Perhaps, that's the safest best so far for my Bitcoin and altcoin paper wallets.
That's a a really unique but presumable effective way of storing your Bitcoin and altcoins. I'm pretty sure that there is no thief that is going to steal your cleaning products.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 04:24:49 PM

you can also, with a decoy safe, buy a cheap one and place it in an obvious place, like corner closet.

Put a handful of valuables in there, so if someone is snooping around they will focus on the safe.  If they break it will will be content.

A decoy safe looks like the best idea so far. This could divert the attention of the robber towards a safe that contains non-important items. The real private keys for the cryptocurrencies I hold would be stored someplace else no one could imagine. Since any private key can be placed on a small piece of paper, it could easily fit under the carpet, under a floor tile, and even on the ceiling.

That way, my crypto-balances could stay safe even if I get robbed. As for memorizing the private key, sounds nearly impossible considering the length of characters the same has. Things aside, another solution I've been thinking is the safe deposit box in the bank to secure my wallets. Such wallets, are PVC cards which contain the public and unencrypted private keys, so they would be stored in the bank for greater safety.  As such, I would store the Ledger Nano recovery seed on a piece of paper hidden in an undercover place, whereas the cards would be stored in the bank Smiley

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Mi5h0

Activity: 560
Merit: 273

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 11:20:12 AM

Yeah, decoy safes offer very effective and a low cost solution. Just, don't talk too much about it. Wink

Well, good luck with that! Grin
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: