Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:40:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 600,000 coins gone!! DPR's personal wallet un crackable!  (Read 8126 times)
LouReed (OP)

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 06:36:56 PM

This may have been posted already, but I didn't see it. If it has, feel free to delete.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/07/fbi-bitcoin-silk-road-ross-ulbricht

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bennybong

Activity: 682

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 06:57:38 PM

I didn't see this, 600,000 coins is a shit ton of coins!!!! Any proof of these coins being in DPR's possession??

Side note: I did think that he must have a stash of coins and a VERY valuable private key to go with them Wink
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:01:47 PM

All speculation at the moment. There's no way for the FBI to tell if he has 600k bitcoins under his control unless he told them. He could be trolling looking for less jail time  Cheesy
Oldgamer

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:04:43 PM

push some needles under his nails, he will be glad to tell you whatever you want to know

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:08:43 PM

All speculation at the moment. There's no way for the FBI to tell if he has 600k bitcoins under his control unless he told them. He could be trolling looking for less jail time  Cheesy

The FBI has control over the site, including its database. They can query it and discover how much money he made on commissions.
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:11:55 PM

The FBI has control over the site, including its database. They can query it and discover how much money he made on commissions.

Yes but there's no way to know how many he has sold since starting the site.
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:14:08 PM

The 600,000BTC figure is based on the maximum possible $80m slice of sales he took, no? I would think his private stash would be a good deal lower than 600,000. Still lots for the FBI to sell if they ever get the key and recover it.
LouReed (OP)

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:14:36 PM

That's sort of what I was thinking. There's no way those coins are all on one wallet is there? Wouldn't that wallet be viewable in the Blockchain?

Below is the FBI's quote from the article. If the wallet is encrypted, then how do they know what's in it? My guess is it must be an encrypted drive, or partition that they can't access, and they are ASSuming that the wallet is there. The one affidavit where the feds were playing hit man it says that he payed for one of the two hits with a cash transfer from a foreign bank, I'd bet that that is where most of his "commission" is. I highly doubt he told them! But then again, he did some pretty f*cking stupid shit!!

"An FBI spokesperson said to Hill that the “$80m worth” that Ulbricht had “was held separately and is encrypted"
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:17:24 PM

Even if the FBI is not able to transfer the money, merely having possession of the wallet file itself is enough to prevent the coins being spent.

I guess the guardian should investigate a little more about their topics before printing such false claims. Lips sealed

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
LouReed (OP)

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:19:34 PM

The 600,000BTC figure is based on the maximum possible $80m slice of sales he took, no? I would think his private stash would be a good deal lower than 600,000. Still lots for the FBI to sell if they ever get the key and recover it.

Yes, now that you say that, it is. It said in the FBI report that he paid his administrators between $1,000-$2,000 a week, and who knows how many of them there were, plus the costs of running a high security operation like that would likely be pretty high. Even if he had 1/4 of that for his personal gains from the site, that's pretty damn good for 2 1/2 years of work!!
LouReed (OP)

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:21:41 PM

Even if the FBI is not able to transfer the money, merely having possession of the wallet file itself is enough to prevent the coins being spent.

I guess the guardian should investigate a little more about their topics before printing such false claims. Lips sealed

What are you saying? It's actually possible to have more than one copy of a digital file?? Grin
Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:30:31 PM

What are you saying? It's actually possible to have more than one copy of a digital file?? Grin
You don't even need a copy of the wallet file, just a hand-written private key will do...
Maybe he just has a flyer for a concert lying around in his bedroom, with a QR code actually containing the private key.

He might even know it by heart, I know I would if I had an address with 600k BTC.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:35:50 PM

The guardian talks about a message when u encrypt ur wallet file. Something about "all ur backups won't work after this operation" thing.
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:35:58 PM

IMHO, I think those funds will be effectively destroyed. If they ever get unlocked, it will be far, far in the future.

theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:37:21 PM

The guardian talks about a message when u encrypt ur wallet file. Something about "all u backups won't work after this operation" thing.

I think thats when you empty our keypool.

BitBlitz

Activity: 285

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:38:57 PM

I didn't read that he *had* 600K coins in the complaint.  That is just the estimate of the commissions made.  Who knows what was spent, moved to other wallets, converted, etc..

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 07:50:43 PM

I didn't read that he *had* 600K coins in the complaint.  That is just the estimate of the commissions made.  Who knows what was spent, moved to other wallets, converted, etc..

Exactly this.  Plus, the majority of the coins were earned when Bitcoin was worth much less than it is today.  Any coins spent or cashed out during that time would have also been under that same lower price.  He could only have a small portion of those original commissions still in his possession, if any.
Bitalo_Maciej

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

Lead developer

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 07:57:38 PM

I would guess that the funds from the commisions were transfered automatically to an address belonging to an offline wallet under DPR's control. The point is though, to automate that, the address(e) in question had to be hardcoded somewhere in the software on the server. So while we can't say where these funds are, FBI, who had access to the server, knows exactly where they are and if they moved further. That's where the 600k BTC figure may coming from.

Web wallets get hacked all the time. Computer wallets get hacked all the time as well.
Solution? Hybrid P2SH wallets - safer than your online and offline wallets combined. Check it out, store and trade your Bitcoins with ease of mind!
theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 08:03:01 PM

From this:

Even if the FBI is not able to transfer the money, merely having possession of the wallet file itself is enough to prevent the coins being spent. The Bureau is in a position equivalent to having seized a safe belonging to a suspect with no idea of the combination – and no hope of forcing it open any other way.
How do they know he doesn't have a brain wallet or a second backup? Seems rather likely IMO.

wormbog

Activity: 561

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 08:06:17 PM

This will be very interesting to watch. Does DPR hold the keys to 600k XBT? Probably not, but nobody knows for sure.

He could use it as a bargaining chip w/ the feds. He's likely looking at life in prison for his crimes, and the federal prosecutor is likely eager to make an example out of his case to deter the other online black markets that are already cropping up to take SR's customers. But if he's in prison for life, why hand over the money? Instead he can use it to bargain for a lighter sentence. Unlike the existing banking system, the feds can't take the coins without his cooperation.

He could use it as prison currency. Let's say his fellow inmates believe he has 80 million in untouchable, untraceable internet currency. If he dies, the money dies with him. But he could use the promise of that money to buy protection with the promise of riches in the future. Or he could become the target of inmates who think they can beat the information out of him.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: