Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:32:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] BitForYou.com (BETA) - Xmas e-cards loaded with Bitcoins  (Read 1841 times)
abuelau (OP)

Activity: 750
Merit: 500

www.coinschedule.com

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 06:56:05 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2013, 03:10:47 PM by abuelau

Update 16/Dec:

We have now a nice collection of Christmas e-cards!

You still have a chance to send your friends and family a special and unique gift this christmas! All you need is their e-mail address.

To send your christmas e-card, go to www.bitforyou.com, select the card you like, fill the small form on the right-hand side and press PREVIEW. Once in the preview screen, send Bitcoins to the address displayed and your e-card will be on its way.

You can send from BTC 0.01 to BTC 1.00 to anyone with an email address. The recipient doesn't need to be a current Bitcoin user and doesn't need to have a wallet!

---------

Like many people involved with Bitcoin, I believe that its success depends on adoption. The more people that use it, the stronger and more valuable it will become.

So after having mined and invested for a while now, I wanted to distribute some coins to my family and friends as a gift. The problem is that they know nothing about Bitcoin, and so I didn't want to simply send an SMS or a random e-mail with coins. I wanted to send something a little more personal, and at the same time very easy to use and understand, where the coins would just be the icing on the cake.

BitForYou.com - What is it.

BitForYou.com is an e-card website where you have to send Bitcoins with every card. I had developed this e-card system a few years ago as part of another project, so I decided to revive and make it more exciting by adding a connection to Bitcoin.

How does it work?

You select one of the various images, type your e-mail, the recipient's e-mail, selects how many coins to send, optionally types a message and that's all.

The recipient will receive an e-mail with a link to see their e-card with a brief explanation of what Bitcoin is, a link to create a virtual wallet a field to withdraw their coins.

You will get e-mail messages when the recipient views the card and when the coins are withdrawn. If they don't see the card or withdraw the coins in 15 days, the coins are sent back to you.

---

I am looking for feedback, so would appreciate if you could test it out and let me know what you think. The minimum amount to send is 0.01 BTC and the maximum is 1 BTC.

Link: http://www.bitforyou.com

Know what's happening in cryptoworld: www.coinschedule.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
abuelau (OP)

www.coinschedule.com

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 06:56:17 PM

** reserved **

SPC_Bitcoin

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Coffee makes it all better!

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 08:38:48 PM

what happens if the gift is intercepted by email? what safeguards will be implemented? how can we send BTC not knowing the person's public address?

just my paranoia speaking, but if someone sent me an email with a picture and "click here to get your bitcoin gift" I would delete it as spam/scam. there are so many spammers using people's email address as sent from (sorry, I don't know tech. name for that)

On the +++ side, I do like the gift idea as a motivation for people to learn more about bitcoin and get excited about it.

I have chatted up quite a few friends of mine, to see what they know about BTC, and further educate them. Some glaze over when they hear digital currency, some put up a wall and scream PONZISCHEME!, now people mention the end of Silk Road. So far, no one has taken the deep dive, like I have, to learn more about bitcoin, make a wallet, investigate storage and transaction options, exchanges, etc.

NEVER GOT PAID.
abuelau (OP)

www.coinschedule.com

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 09:00:16 PM

what happens if the gift is intercepted by email? what safeguards will be implemented?

If the email gets intercepted, then the person that intercepted can get the coins. This is true with so many services these days though, from paypal to online gift cards and even online Bitcoin wallets. If someone gets access to your inbox, they can potentially get your funds.

The 1 BTC maximum send limit is meant to limit exposure to risks such as these. I could also look into forcing the user to confirm withdrawal with an email confirmation link, but if someone else has access to your email, that wouldn't help much.

how can we send BTC not knowing the person's public address?

Once people receive a card, they have to withdraw the coins that came with the card to a Bitcoin address. The card contains instructions on how to create an online wallet so you can withdraw the coins you got.

On the +++ side, I do like the gift idea as a motivation for people to learn more about bitcoin and get excited about it.

I have chatted up quite a few friends of mine, to see what they know about BTC, and further educate them. Some glaze over when they hear digital currency, some put up a wall and scream PONZISCHEME!, now people mention the end of Silk Road. So far, no one has taken the deep dive, like I have, to learn more about bitcoin, make a wallet, investigate storage and transaction options, exchanges, etc.

Yeah, exactly. It's the same with me, I have friends at work that are always saying they would like to learn more about Bitcoin and perhaps buy , but they don't know where to start, where to go, so they never really do it. I think if I send them some, even if it's 0.1 BTC, it would entice them to start thinking more about it, creating a wallet, etc.

Thanks for checking it out!  Smiley

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 09:12:26 PM

How does it work?

You select one of the various images, type your e-mail, the recipient's e-mail, selects how many coins to send, optionally types a message and that's all.

The recipient will receive an e-mail with a link to see their e-card with a brief explanation of what Bitcoin is, a link to create a virtual wallet a field to withdraw their coins.

You will get e-mail messages when the recipient views the card and when the coins are withdrawn. If they don't see the card or withdraw the coins in 15 days, the coins are sent back to you.

A lot depends on the content of this "brief explanation," and on the specific tools and concepts you choose to present. Given that you're presenting people with a web-based wallet (where?), I imagine the rest of the story is similarly poorly focused on or entirely bereft of a discussion of security and sense.

And this is the problem, really. Bitcoin doesn't need a swarm of people uninformed and uninterested in security, cryptography, personal responsibility, and so on to "adopt" it with personal pittances --in needs much less of that, in fact.

Perhaps have a read here. Your drive to contribute and participate is great, but not all threads are worth pursuing.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
abuelau (OP)

www.coinschedule.com

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 09:20:09 PM

How does it work?

A lot depends on the content of this "brief explanation," and on the specific tools and concepts you choose to present. Given that you're presenting people with a web-based wallet (where?), I imagine the rest of the story is similarly poorly focused on or entirely bereft of a discussion of security and sense.

And this is the problem, really. Bitcoin doesn't need a swarm of people uninformed and uninterested in security, cryptography, personal responsibility, and so on to "adopt" it with personal pittances --in needs much less of that, in fact.

Perhaps have a read here. Your drive to contribute and participate is great, but not all threads are worth pursuing.

There is no wallet, that's not the intention. Once people receive an e-card with coins the only thing they can do is withdraw all of them to a Bitcoin address.

You have an interesting opinion about what Bitcoin needs. You're entitled to it of course.  Smiley

SPC_Bitcoin

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Coffee makes it all better!

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 03:54:25 AM

I learned quit a lot from this educational app, put out by Udemy "Bitcoin or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Crypto"

http://appfinder.lisisoft.com/app/bitcoin-101.html

also available as www online course

http://tinyurl.com/kbcr6sg

new/current topics added regularly

NEVER GOT PAID.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:31:01 AM

a link to create a virtual wallet

There is no wallet, that's not the intention.

Which is it?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
abuelau (OP)

www.coinschedule.com

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 08:52:10 AM

a link to create a virtual wallet

There is no wallet, that's not the intention.

Which is it?

Here you go:

Like many people involved with Bitcoin, I believe that its success depends on adoption. The more people that use it, the stronger and more valuable it will become.

So after having mined and invested for a while now, I wanted to distribute some coins to my family and friends as a gift. The problem is that they know nothing about Bitcoin, and so I didn't want to simply send an SMS or a random e-mail with coins. I wanted to send something a little more personal, and at the same time very easy to use and understand, where the coins would just be the icing on the cake.

BitForYou.com - What is it.

BitForYou.com is an e-card website where you have to send Bitcoins with every card. I had developed this e-card system a few years ago as part of another project, so I decided to revive and make it more exciting by adding a connection to Bitcoin.

How does it work?

---

I am looking for feedback, so would appreciate if you could test it out and let me know what you think. The minimum amount to send is 0.01 BTC and the maximum is 1 BTC.

Link: http://www.bitforyou.com

MPOE-PR

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 11:54:37 PM

Right. I'd say read moar, lurk moar, figure out what it is you actually want to do, discover what you're actually able to do, come back 1 year.

abuelau (OP)

www.coinschedule.com

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 09:16:03 AM

Right. I'd say read moar, lurk moar, figure out what it is you actually want to do, discover what you're actually able to do, come back 1 year.

Thanks. I will give the exact same advice to you.

abuelau (OP)

www.coinschedule.com

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 03:11:52 PM

We have now a nice collection of Christmas e-cards!

You still have a chance to send your friends and family a special and unique gift this christmas! All you need is their e-mail address.

To send your christmas e-card, go to www.bitforyou.com, select the card you like, fill the small form on the right-hand side and press PREVIEW. Once in the preview screen, send Bitcoins to the address displayed and your e-card will be on its way.

You can send from BTC 0.01 to BTC 1.00 to anyone with an email address. The recipient doesn't need to be a current Bitcoin user and doesn't need to have a wallet!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: