Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:32:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why bitcoin is worthless  (Read 633 times)
sjefdeklerk (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 8

SODL

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 03:28:57 AM
Merited by ktabb (3)

I just stumbled upon this article that The Guardian published today, I think it's the best ever written on bitcoin, really good sum-up about blockchain and bitcoin: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/05/bitcoin-is-based-on-the-blockchain-pipe-dream

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2018, 09:37:14 AM
Merited by LFC_Bitcoin (1), keyscore44 (1), cynical (1)

Go on, don't be shy, give a quick summary of what you liked in this article.

All I see is another case of author building a strawman arguments: "Future of Bitcoin depends on global implementation of blockchain tech" + "blockchain tech is superior in every way to traditional systems" and then fighting them. Easy win.

I like how he's praising centralised services such as SWIFT without mentioning they got successfully attacked at least twice in 2015-2016 losing ~$160 millions (iirc). What's even more funny, SWIFT is actively exploring blockchain technology to improve their services.

From the article:

And Ripple’s technology for cross-border interbank financial transfers will soon be left in the dust by Swift, a non-blockchain consortium used by all of the world’s major financial institutions.

From Swift own website:

SWIFT tests show blockchain has potential for global liquidity optimisation
Brussels, 13 October 2017 - SWIFT has published an interim report on the proof of concept (PoC) for real-time Nostro reconciliation using a SWIFT-developed distributed ledger technology (DLT) sandbox with 33 global transaction banks, as part of its SWIFT gpi service.

Yeah, journalism at its finest.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Idrisu

Activity: 924
Merit: 260

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 10:54:00 AM

If bitcoin is worthless then why is the author writing an article and his praising decentralization? If bitcoin is worthless then every other form of money be it gold, dollars, yen, pound are all worthless because we human being create value for them. American want to make a paper that should serve as a medium of exchange for goods and services and that is why we are having values for dollars nothing more and notting less and if we all create value for bitcoin it will become something worthy!
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 11:00:54 AM

If bitcoin is worthless then why is the author writing an article and his praising decentralization?

LOL. It earned the author some money!

Of course bitcoin isn't worthless. Last I checked it was worth $10,933, which is great considering that this time last year it was worth about $900.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
ktabb

Activity: 266
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2018, 11:21:07 AM

I could not agree with this author more. Blockchain technology itself is overhyped. The benefit of decentralization is not nearly large enough to outweigh the massive costs. Furthermore, blockchain technology necessarily requires cryptocurrency, which is something people seem to overlook or not understand. Without some kind of digital token, there is no way to incentivize miners. Betting on blockchain is the same as betting on crypto, and crypto is even more overhyped than blockchain technology itself.

BitcoinBunny
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 2493

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 11:34:21 AM

Ah yes an article in .... The Guardian.

A "news organisation" that actively attacks those who go against the establishment in any form once again speaks negatively of cryptocurrency.

Shocker.

The fact that you "just stumbled" upon article from that "news organisation" means you cannot distinguish between fact and propaganda and are too easily swayed. But please give any crypto you have to me. I'll put it to better use I promise.
davis196

Activity: 2968
Merit: 913

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 11:58:18 AM

I just stumbled upon this article that The Guardian published today, I think it's the best ever written on bitcoin, really good sum-up about blockchain and bitcoin: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/05/bitcoin-is-based-on-the-blockchain-pipe-dream

OP,if you want to post news article links,this thread should be moved to the "Press" forum shild board.
I don`t even want to read this article.I hate leftist liberal newspapers like The Guardian.Anyway,the people should understand the difference between "worthless" and "not very usefull".
Is bitcoin worthelss?Off course not,if there are people ,who want to buy btc,then bitcoin has value.
Is bitcoin usefull enough?I would say no.Not anymore.

pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2018, 12:49:40 PM

Blockchain technology itself is overhyped.

Agree.

The benefit of decentralization is not nearly large enough to outweigh the massive costs.

What does this even mean? How do you determine the value of decentralisation and what's its fair cost? Why do people (miners?) bear those costs then?

Furthermore, blockchain technology necessarily requires cryptocurrency, which is something people seem to overlook or not understand. Without some kind of digital token, there is no way to incentivize miners.

Wrong. You only need tokens for decentralised, trustless, anyone-can-participate blockchains. You can have 'private', tokenless blockchains run by authorised nodes.

Betting on blockchain is the same as betting on crypto, and crypto is even more overhyped than blockchain technology itself.

Blockchain-based cryptos are more overhyped than entire blockchain tech? Isn't it like saying "my legs weight more than my entire body"?

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 12:56:11 PM

I really think the article is praising Blockchain more over the one that is running through it, He is talking about the failing Cryptocurrencies and the hype of so many people over initial coin offerings will all fail and blockchain will be the one that will be revolutionize over it, I really think that blockchain started with bitcoin and if there are so much hype for bitcoin blockchain also is taking credit with it as well, I don't think it is a helpful article for bitcoin and wants to take of bitcoin from blockchain.
Coffee135

Activity: 392
Merit: 137

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 12:59:27 PM

All journalists write their articles for the money of bankers. I don't believe them. They don't understand what bitcoin is. For them, it is only a virtual currency. For users, this is much more. This is the ideology of a free economy. People may not have a significant impact on the actions of governments. But they do not want to quietly observe the irrational spending of their taxes. Therefore, bitcoin will never die.
carlfebz2

Activity: 2926
Merit: 727

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 02:08:11 PM

I really think the article is praising Blockchain more over the one that is running through it, He is talking about the failing Cryptocurrencies and the hype of so many people over initial coin offerings will all fail and blockchain will be the one that will be revolutionize over it, I really think that blockchain started with bitcoin and if there are so much hype for bitcoin blockchain also is taking credit with it as well, I don't think it is a helpful article for bitcoin and wants to take of bitcoin from blockchain.
I don't know if you can really differentiate out blockchain and bitcoin itself. I don't know if you do really know on what you are trying to say here. Blockchain technology we do all know is just like a backbone on where all transactions being made of and can publicly be seen with those transactions do happen.We do know bitcoin is the first crypto did able to make use of this technology.Criticism cant really be avoided and its not really a surprising thing for me to be read of.
fabiorem

Activity: 1400
Merit: 347

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 02:10:06 PM

The Guardian
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 02:17:22 PM

I am profoundly uninterested in anything the Guardian has to say on this subject. They're such whiny molly coddling nanny state fucksticks that anything that offers people some actual freedom or fosters some rational thinking would cause them to toss their lentils.

These days I loathe the Guardian even more than the Daily Mail which is a genuinely epic achievement.
teilwalL05

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 02:35:04 PM

Well unfortunately bitcoin is here to stay and is not worthless for sure, Blockchain technology is great and can be use as a ledgers for all transactions that has made with bitcoin and other Cryptocurrency, I really think there are other use for Blockchain and I have read an article that Blockchain can be use for automotive mobility services, This is truly a remarkable technology if that's gonna apply for the future.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 02:52:01 PM

"Blockchain technology" is indeed overhyped bullshit, but Bitcoin is not overhyped and certainly not overpriced, it is in fact insanely cheap, but of course, most people in bloomberg and mainstream media are drones incapable to see how something that can't be sent all over the planet across any borders, without permission of anyone and without the possibility of being counterfeited is worth even more than gold.

History will put all these articles in their right place, just give it a decade or so, these morons are the same that wanted to see the internet be a federated clusterfuck of intranets with no freedom.
keyscore44
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1016

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 03:01:45 PM

It seems that the editor knew that people would not be interested in his knowledge, or better - lack of knowledge, so to have any views he wrote something controversial ... I will just say "Stop making stupid people famous!"

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
jtipt

Activity: 1064
Merit: 529

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 03:26:56 PM

"Blockchain technology" is indeed overhyped bullshit.
It is indeed overhyped, but calling it bullshit is completely wrong. The amount of hype it is receiving is probably a lot more than its potential, but blockchain is still a very useful technology with many real world applications.
keyscore44
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 03:42:44 PM

"Blockchain technology" is indeed overhyped bullshit.
It is indeed overhyped, but calling it bullshit is completely wrong. The amount of hype it is receiving is probably a lot more than its potential, but blockchain is still a very useful technology with many real world applications.

Same opinion here. Many people compare blockchain to internet. People know that it is better to not underestimate this great potential of blockchain and want to be at the beginning of the next technological revolution. In my opinion hype here is natural.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
uslfd

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 04:00:44 PM

It's always good to be reminded that indeed all investment in crpyto could one day go to zero, without any warning!

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
keyscore44
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 04:05:08 PM

It's always good to be reminded that indeed all investment in crpyto could one day go to zero, without any warning!

It looks like you already warn us Cheesy I don't understand why you are such a pessimist. Blockchain certainly will not be forgotten, certainly not for the next hundred years, so I do not think that something bad will happen to cryptocurrencies. Only those whose projects will be abandoned by the developers will disappear.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..