Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:45:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My private key is not accepted by any other wallet.  (Read 288 times)
ZuzanaKiraly (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 05:54:38 AM

Hi everyone, I have a small problem and I am absolutely desperate already.
I have downloaded a bitcoin core app and while still synchronising I have sent bitcoins on it.
Afterwards, I found out that my computer' hard drive is not big enough for the file so I tried to dump the private key and use it in another wallet. However, the private key that I receive by the bitcoin core is not accepted anywhere.
Can anyone help me please? I am new to this and not sure what to do...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 07:02:16 AM

What does the private key start with -- 5, K, or L?

Also, how did you get the private key?
Code:
 dumpprivkey <address>

Also, when you say "not accepted anywhere" what exactly do you mean?
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16620

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2018, 07:26:26 AM
Merited by Lucius (1)

I found out that my computer' hard drive is not big enough for the file
An easy solution is to prune Bitcoin Core:
To enable block pruning set prune=<N> on the command line or in bitcoin.conf, where N is the number of MiB to allot for raw block & undo data.
Use prune=550, and let Bitcoin Core sync. It still needs to download the full 170 GB, but won't take more than 10 GB disk space on your computer.

hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 3647

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2018, 08:42:42 AM

I think its problem is import a private key of a segwit address (P2SH-P2WPKH) into a non-segwit wallet.
What is your "another wallet"?
did you try electrum wallet? "sweep pvt key"

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 08:26:10 PM

I think its problem is import a private key of a segwit address (P2SH-P2WPKH) into a non-segwit wallet.
What is your "another wallet"?
did you try electrum wallet? "sweep pvt key"

Private keys of segwit adresses and nonsegwit adresses are exactly the same format ( and the same), so no, that's probably not the issue. The private key he has is either not a private key, or somehow encrypted.

To OP:

What wallet are you trying to import it in? Electrum? How many chars is the key you have?

AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 05:35:57 PM
Merited by Xynerise (1)

Actually SegWit address (Bech32) have different format with legacy address, i've tried import SegWit Bech32 private key to wallet which don't support SegWit and obviously the private key isn't accepted.
I don't think so.

Segwit is simply a different payment script + adress format, it does not generate a different key. A private key can both generate a traditional adress (P2PKH), or a segwit one, (P2SH).

This answer is a bit more indepth about it, https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/a/70123

Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 05:58:00 PM

I don't think so.

Segwit is simply a different payment script + adress format, it does not generate a different key. A private key can both generate a traditional adress (P2PKH), or a segwit one, (P2SH).

This answer is a bit more indepth about it, https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/a/70123
This is correct.
Addresses are derived from public keys, which are first derived from private keys.
Private key -> public key -> address
So you can have one (WIF) private key, with different addresses, depending on the private keys.
Ordinarily you can create 2 P2PKH addresses from one private key, by using either compressed or uncompressed public keys.
You can also derive P2PWKH, P2SH, and P2SH-P2WPKH addresses from the same public key (note that segwit addresses are all derived from compressed public keys)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: