Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:00:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Send didn't get picked up by network...  (Read 1109 times)
mpfrank (OP)

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 02:59:57 PM

Hi, earlier this morning I sent some BTC to Mt. Gox, and then exited my client right after (to backup my wallet).  Then I resumed the client.

Almost an hour later, I noticed that my transaction still hadn't shown up in block explorer, and my client still showed no confirmations for it.

It occurred to me that maybe the transaction didn't get picked up by any peers (even though I had 8 connections at the time) before I closed my client, and then when I restarted the client, maybe it didn't resume sending the transaction to peers because it thought it was already sent.

So, I restored an earlier wallet backup (from when I still had the spent coins) and resubmitted the send request.

But now, a short time later, my client is showing 3 confirmations of (what I assume is) my earlier send, but none of my later one yet.  

I did not have enough BTC left in my account to actually do the send twice, so hopefully the 2nd one will get rejected by all nodes, and won't end up in the block chain?

I still don't see either transaction showing up in block explorer (or in my Mt. Gox account yet).  It's now been over an hour since the first one was (supposedly) sent.

Also, my client now seems to show the wrong total; even though it now lists both of my sends, my balance is what it would be if I had only sent one of them.

Any thoughts?  Is my client automatically ignoring the 2nd send (which I didn't actually have the BTC to cover)?  But then why is it still listed?

Thanks...
-Mike

EDIT:  I just realized, blockexplorer is about 8 blocks behind right now, so that explains why my transaction hasn't shown up there...  blockexplorer shows the latest block is 137,343, but the latest one in my client is 137,351!

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rikur

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 03:33:02 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2011, 07:06:02 PM by rikur

at least on OSX the wallet can get stuck with the non-sent transaction. The only way I was able to fix it was using an earlier wallet.dat backup and doing a rescan of the blocks.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 06:46:54 PM

Currently, if you trick the client into accepting a transaction that cannot actually get into the block chain, it will be stuck in the wallet forever. If you have a wallet backup from before the transaction, that will solve the problem (start the client with -rescan). Otherwise, you have to db_dump/edit/db_load to manually remove the transaction.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 10:42:20 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2011, 12:20:53 AM by Stephen Gornick

So, I restored an earlier wallet backup (from when I still had the spent coins) and resubmitted the send request.

Just to clarify, .. you didn't resubmit the send request.  Instead you sent another transaction of the same amount as the earlier transaction.

So now that you have a double spend attempt in your wallet, you'll probably need to restore that earlier wallet yet again and it will then properly show the balance and the one transaction that did confirm.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

mpfrank (OP)

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 12:15:41 AM

Great, guys, thanks for the tips!  I will restore an earlier wallet & rescan...

P.S. My send did get received by Mt. Gox eventually.

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2011, 02:33:06 PM

Just to clarify, .. you didn't resubmit the send request.  Instead you sent another transaction of the same amount as the earlier transaction.

So now that you have a double spend attempt in your wallet, you'll probably need to restore that earlier wallet yet again and it will then properly show the balance and the one transaction that did confirm.

Er. Well: Maybe.

The input selection is nearly deterministic. (or rather, it is deterministic if all your available inputs are at least 6 deep in the chain)

If it selects the same inputs, has the same destination(s), and same value it will be the same transaction (same TXid), and thus no double was attempted.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: