Bitcoin Forum
December 09, 2016, 02:18:05 AM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Phoenix and backup pools  (Read 901 times)
neo1999

Activity: 15

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 03:07:03 PM

My main pool had an outage recently, so I've decided to set up backup pools for the first time. I had read in another post that an extra miner can be set up using the same device, at a lower aggression setting. When the main miner goes idle, this second miner gets to use the resources and start mining. I decided to try this, and found the ideal settings for me. Maybe this will be a good starting point for someone else in need of a backup.

Main miner:
phoenix -u http://username.workername:workerpass@pool1.com:8344/ -k phatk DEVICE=0 VECTORS AGGRESSION=11 BFI_INT WORKSIZE=256 FASTLOOP=FALSE

Backup miner:
phoenix -u http://username.workername:workerpass@pool2.com:8344/ -k phatk DEVICE=0 VECTORS AGGRESSION=5 BFI_INT WORKSIZE=256 FASTLOOP=TRUE

I was surprised how much of a difference the fastloop setting has on low-aggression miners. With fastloop=false, my rate on my 5830 was 268mh/s. With fastloop=true it went up to 289mh/s.

The only drawback so far, is that the backup miner never really stops mining. It chugs along using a few mh/s for my backup pool at all times. Still, it doesn't seem to be reducing my overall output which is good.

Turn this atheist into a believer! Just send your donation to 1Hxu4DEvHx22ZouYiPjbNGySs525F3LgeY and say a prayer. The god with the most contributions wins my eternal devotion!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
secularflesh

Activity: 18

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 02:49:10 AM

Yeah I started doing this last week using GUIMiner. I wish I had known about it when I was starting out... I chose BTCGuild as my pool since it had a high hashrate and zero fees but I unfortunately began mining just before their DDOS and server issues.

I set a couple of machines to mine, went away for a few days and when I got back I found out they were sitting idle most of the time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.