Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 04:46:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I have intel with NVIDIA and what is easiest cheapest way to start mining?  (Read 3317 times)
just_me (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

Jesus Christ Saves Sinners

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 03:02:01 AM

From reading about mining, it seems that the NVIDIA will not work for mining.
When I did try mining, the GUIminer program said there was 'NOTHING TO MINE ON' and would not mine.

So what is the easiest and cheapest way for me to sample or try out mining?

I want the easiest and cheapest way to actually do some mining for a beginner.

thanks

Today is the day that the Lord has made, lets be glad and rejoice in it
Oldgamer

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 03:11:24 AM

It is not completely true that nVidia card will not work, but it is true that nVidia cards without support of OpenCL will not.
For example, if you try nVidia GT240 it will work.
You have to check if you card supports OpenCL.
Other thing is that architecture of AMD video cards is much better can be used for mining, so even very powerful gaming nVidia cards have lower hash speed than mid range AMD cards.

P.S. I recommend you to mine litecoins, as mining bitcoins using video card is not profitable anymore.

just_me (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 03:34:40 AM

It is not completely true that nVidia card will not work, but it is true that nVidia cards without support of OpenCL will not.
For example, if you try nVidia GT240 it will work.
You have to check if you card supports OpenCL.
Other thing is that architecture of AMD video cards is much better can be used for mining, so even very powerful gaming nVidia cards have lower hash speed than mid range AMD cards.

P.S. I recommend you to mine litecoins, as mining bitcoins using video card is not profitable anymore.

My nvidia care has no support for OpenCL, and cannot use CUDA either.

I was reading about these raspberry pi things that cost $25-$35 or so, and use very little electricity.
What about those? ( I noticed that these raspberry pi things don't use windows operating system though, so I would need to get a different operating system it seems in order to use this for mining bitcoins).

I don't know much about the block erupters. I read a bit about that too.

If I exchange my Nvidia card for one of the amd ati cards that is good for mining, would my pc then be able to mine bitcoins, with just putting in an amd ati radeon graphics card?

Oldgamer

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 03:44:07 AM

As I said, bitcoin mining is not profitable using video cards anymore, you can try just for fun though.
I switched to litecoins, because it is 2.5 times more profitable. Then I exchange litecoins to bitcoins. I just wish I switched earlier. Lost a lot of time mining bitcoins. Still my video card is not completely paid of.

Erupters can not mine litecoins. Video card can.
Erupters can not do anything except mining, and good luck to sell it when it become not profitable. Video card can be useful in games and you can also sell it if for some reason mining would be not profitable anymore.

surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:01:19 AM

What is this, 2010?
fractalbc

Activity: 192

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:42:23 AM

I want the easiest and cheapest way to actually do some mining for a beginner.
To answer your question -

Erupter USB.  10-20 dollars depending on where you get your BTC

Now, whether it is a good idea or not ... that's the rest of the responses.
Ashitank

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:56:02 AM

Dude your are 2 years behind on mining gear aspect of bitcoin.
cowandtea

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:57:51 AM

Your GT240 is too old, I believe you can try look for the old driver with OpenCL. Otherwise I dont think it would work.

Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:01:21 AM

Pick up a couple USB Erupter sticks if you'd like to get started with mining. You are wasting your time mining Bitcoins with graphics cards at this stage.
just_me (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:02:27 AM

As I said, bitcoin mining is not profitable using video cards anymore, you can try just for fun though.
I switched to litecoins, because it is 2.5 times more profitable. Then I exchange litecoins to bitcoins. I just wish I switched earlier. Lost a lot of time mining bitcoins. Still my video card is not completely paid of.

Erupters can not do anything except mining, and good luck to sell it when it become not profitable. Video card can be useful in games and you can also sell it if for some reason mining would be not profitable anymore.

I can mine LTC.

So, the cheapest and easiest way for me to start mining litecoins, is what?

So I need to get a different video card. What video card will mine 10 litecoins per day for me?

Thanks for your help

pontiacg5

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:06:21 AM

I can mine LTC.

So I need to get a different video card. What video card will mine 10 litecoins per day for me?

Thanks for your help

A few 7970's will get you 10 litecoins a day.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

All in good fun, it would take at least 15, probably more. That's assuming you have free power  Wink

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:40:45 AM

*Video cards are useless now*

*Hey buy a bloc erupter*

lol.
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 07:47:20 AM

Dude your are 4 years behind on everything.

EFA.
Eternity

Activity: 196

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 02:57:14 PM

nvidia cards were never good for mining
Oldgamer

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:47:42 PM

Your GT240 is too old, I believe you can try look for the old driver with OpenCL. Otherwise I dont think it would work.

Who told you he has a GT240?

Oldgamer

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:52:13 PM

I can mine LTC.

Thanks for your help

All in good fun, it would take at least 15, probably more. That's assuming you have free power  Wink

I am not sure if even a few 7970 will give 10 LTC a day.
One 7850 gives only 0.27-0.31 LTC per day, so I assume 7970 will have about 0.6-0.8 LTC a day max
So he will need to run about 12-15 cards.

dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:08:28 PM

One 7850 gives only 0.27-0.31 LTC per day, so I assume 7970 will have about 0.6-0.8 LTC a day max

This is my anecdotal experience.
iASIC

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

AMA BCT

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:59:55 PM

Buy an erupter, they're cool and easy to use.

You can pick one up on amazon for like 16 bucks free shipping.
pontiacg5

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 07:46:49 PM

I can mine LTC.

Thanks for your help

All in good fun, it would take at least 15, probably more. That's assuming you have free power  Wink

"All in good fun, it would take at least 15, probably more."

You must not have read my post very clearly, pretty funny because you even quoted it  Grin

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 08:03:57 PM

for all intents and purposes 2.5 Times 40 cents is still only One Dollar. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: