Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:58:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GB Coordinators: What did you learn from the "Great Forum Outage of Fall 2013?"  (Read 1037 times)
DyslexicZombei (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 03:46:43 AM

Just wondering how my brethren and sisteren handled the forum outage. I know that Thomas, -Redacted-, and I were nearly stopped in our tracks trying to finish selling out KnC Jupiter GB shares.

Fortunately we had a new site that went up because Thomas had the bandwidth/time/hosting availability to put up a barebones site. We contacted folks via email for Group Buyers from whom we had addresses. We used that new site to communicate initially with our customers. www.dzminerscoop.com

We sent approx. 150+ emails to one another to try to co-ordinate w/out the forum and without our customers.

We then set up a subreddit that is now a backup means of communications and I hope will continue to be a benefit and sidebar/backup means of communications without slowing down Group Buy threads with extraneous stuff (says the master of OT blather) that albeit funny, could probably take place in a separate thread or subreddit. www.reddit.com/r/dzminercoop

==

Humans evolve and adapt quickly. It's what we do as the Apex Predators of this planet. During this outage: I'm proud of the other Group Buy Coordinators in my Co-op and also our customers for finding us outside of the forums, and for being adaptable themselves.

So Group Buy Coordinators: What's your backup methods for folks to reach you? What did you learn from the outage?
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 07:01:01 AM

Better have email, or another website. I actually got a few orders when the forum was out.

DyslexicZombei (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 07:02:47 AM

Better have email, or another website. I actually got a few orders when the forum was out.

Hey Dabs! Good to hear from you again. Glad it didn't stall you completely.

I saw a PM that came in from you the last day but I have a whole day's worth of PMs missing (20-40?) that I'm worried has important info in there regarding GB payments or wallet addresses. Your PM was one of the ones that ended up not making the restoration.  Undecided

What about you? Any missing messages? Seem to be missing hours worth of messages.
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 07:38:33 AM

No missing messages for me, it seems, and I still have the one I sent you. So in case you didn't read it, I resent it. hehehe. And the forum should be able to email you for every PM you receive. I set mine up that way. So I get all PMs.

Barntech

Activity: 266

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 07:41:19 AM

Hey guys.

I set up an alternate backup forum here http://drillbitsystem.com/forum to continue communicating with everyo9ne from my group buy. It had all the same funtionality as this one and actually worked and looked better. I kind of liked it more to be honest. It was nice to continue discussion and great to have the ability for people to create sub forums to discussion particular thing.

In the strange times of the silkroad going down and various different branches of the bitcoin universe being attack it was great to still have contact with this online community. I realised what a big hole was left but this forum going down. I spend so long on here each day and thoroughly enjoy the discussion that arise, not only about bitcoin, but about life, the universe and everything.

Glad to hear that you guys also found other ways to stay connected. As you say, people always find a way to adapt. All that said... it's nice to have the mother forum back.  Wink

Barntech
danieldaniel

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 10:37:23 AM

Hey guys.

I set up an alternate backup forum here http://drillbitsystem.com/forum to continue communicating with everyo9ne from my group buy. It had all the same funtionality as this one and actually worked and looked better. I kind of liked it more to be honest. It was nice to continue discussion and great to have the ability for people to create sub forums to discussion particular thing.

In the strange times of the silkroad going down and various different branches of the bitcoin universe being attack it was great to still have contact with this online community. I realised what a big hole was left but this forum going down. I spend so long on here each day and thoroughly enjoy the discussion that arise, not only about bitcoin, but about life, the universe and everything.

Glad to hear that you guys also found other ways to stay connected. As you say, people always find a way to adapt. All that said... it's nice to have the mother forum back.  Wink

Barntech
Heh, same.  I only login for a little bit a couple times a day, but more than once I found myself typing in "bitcointalk.org" before realizing that it was down.

DyslexicZombei (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 08:53:20 AM

I think we can all agree that we missed "the mothership."

If the forums ever go down again, the easiest way to re-check IMO is to open a command prompt and ping bitcointalk.org

That way, whenever you want to check, you just click your command prompt window, arrow up to your previous command and hit the enter key.

I suppose if you're the desperate sort, you could set your command parameters to infinitely ping their site until it's back up. I'm sure they wouldn't mind.  Cheesy

I kid, I kid. You shouldn't do that, but you can do this ping tip as this is the sort of thing a network engineer does to check if a site is up and to help trace routes and measure latency.
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 08:57:11 AM

ping works, when you have a command prompt. But usually I just fire up the browser. Once every few hours is good enough, I don't need to know the exact minute it's up.

qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3413

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:07:21 PM

I was actually quite happy.
I had a few days of vacation planned for the 2nd to the 6th, so the forum outage just fit perfectly Grin

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: