Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 07:43:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: how to identify ICO scam ?! some important tips !  (Read 574 times)
stetym (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 5

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 03:30:25 PM

Take on the "4T" scheme: Theme, Tech, Team, Token !

1.Theme
To begin with, you need to evaluate the promise of the very idea of ICO. If you are not an expert, it will be difficult to do this. But it is possible to find signs of fraud even without profound knowledge in the field of blocking:
Go to the ICO website and see if White Paper developers have posted a project roadmap. If not, the startup can be immediately struck out.
If there is documentation, study it carefully. Honest developers try to explain in detail their idea and ways of its implementation, using not only text but also tables, graphs, charts and other demo material for this purpose.

2.Technology
It is even more difficult here - one needs to evaluate the promise not of the idea itself, but of the technology created for its realization. And even a well-written road map or White Paper will not help you to objectively assess the strengths and weaknesses of the advancing technology.
Lack of contacts for communication, ignoring your appeal or a template response not on the topic - alarm clues, indicating fraud.
After all, developers who plan not only to raise money, but also to start the project, are themselves interested in the fact that potential investors received as much information about the startup.

3.Team
always look for information about the team on the ICO website. Most often it is placed in a separate section ("Team") or placed at the bottom of the page in the format "photo-name-post in the project".
Good teams themselves talk about themselves. On their sites you will find short biographies of developers, information on their education, career advancements and experience with blockade projects.
Check out all the specified contacts of team members
Find the legal address on which the company is registered and verify its authenticity

Open the appropriate section (most often called "Token" or "Token Economy") and find the information
And be sure to pay attention to the main thrust, due to which many investors lost their money. Is there any information on the site that issued tokens are not a digital currency and do not carry any real value, and developers are not obliged to change them on crypto currency or fiat money?

If you find such an announcement, save your money for another project.

GOOD LUCK !!! Smiley
nniecan001

Activity: 322
Merit: 21

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 02:48:02 PM

I think this link will add some information about identifying ICO scam now a days. This medium is about how to create ICO scam in crypto community, for me if you know how to do ICO scam, it's easy to understand how to avoid those upcoming scam ICO. Don't be a victim, educate and help yourself for good folks.

ICO Scams: How to create one in 5 simple steps

https://medium.com/coin-governance-system/how-to-create-an-ico-scam-in-5-simple-steps-67391ed8a822?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuZfyi5mF2gIVhg0qCh0TwQZSEAAYASAAEgLdm_D_BwE
Lynks

Activity: 265
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 06:37:45 PM

Modt scam ico are more interested in the money rather than laying out their game plan on what they intend to add to the blockchain technology
checkupico

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2018, 08:25:34 AM

you just need check few things
1 - Does ICO already has real business?
2 - Does ICO has real team?
jacquelinecr

Activity: 294
Merit: 19

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 09:42:09 AM

Helpful tips. I think that the number of followers from the community helps as well to tell if an ICO is a scam or not.
investgeek

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 02:22:44 PM

Hi, I have already invested in Celcius network, Salt lending, eth lend and want to invest in Welltrado (www.welltrado.io). What do you think guys?
jakagintiri

Activity: 420
Merit: 10

www.coinxes.io

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 02:37:09 PM

1.Theme
To begin with, you need to evaluate the promise of the very idea of ICO. If you are not an expert, it will be difficult to do this. But it is possible to find signs of fraud even without profound knowledge in the field of blocking:
Go to the ICO website and see if White Paper developers have posted a project roadmap. If not, the startup can be immediately struck out.
If there is documentation, study it carefully. Honest developers try to explain in detail their idea and ways of its implementation, using not only text but also tables, graphs, charts and other demo material for this purpose.

2.Technology
It is even more difficult here - one needs to evaluate the promise not of the idea itself, but of the technology created for its realization. And even a well-written road map or White Paper will not help you to objectively assess the strengths and weaknesses of the advancing technology.
Lack of contacts for communication, ignoring your appeal or a template response not on the topic - alarm clues, indicating fraud.
After all, developers who plan not only to raise money, but also to start the project, are themselves interested in the fact that potential investors received as much information about the startup.

3.Team
always look for information about the team on the ICO website. Most often it is placed in a separate section ("Team") or placed at the bottom of the page in the format "photo-name-post in the project".
Good teams themselves talk about themselves. On their sites you will find short biographies of developers, information on their education, career advancements and experience with blockade projects.
Find the legal address on which the company is registered and verify its authenticity

Open the appropriate section (most often called "Token" or "Token Economy") and find the information
And be sure to pay attention to the main thrust, due to which many investors lost their money. Is there any information on the site that issued tokens are not a digital currency and do not carry any real value, and developers are not obliged to change them on crypto currency or fiat money?

If you find such an announcement, save your money for another project.

GOOD LUCK !!! Smiley
And it is very important to find ICO whose history has added value from some people who have invested in ICO and proven to pay, but the tips you give already represent the observation about scam or not ICO.

Gotottack

Activity: 882
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 03:08:35 PM

Good list, but it doesn't really end there. Since there are ICOs that start off legit, but end up being just a scam because the developers just don't do anything anymore to develop the token. Or that after the ICO it just straight off losses the value and the developers again stop developing the token because of that fact. It still takes luck even if you exercise utmost diligence in checking the ICO, so pray you get it right.
BNKR Coin

Activity: 71

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2018, 05:35:58 PM

The environment with all those scam ICOs makes it really hard for the serious ones to spread their news and do the right marketing.
We are in Pre-ICO at the moment with our project.
Feel free to check us out and give us Input!

https://bonkers.io
koralan

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 10:06:38 PM

ICO scam projects generally have a general idea or are similar to previous projects, leaders are often anonymous or have scammers, virtual communities, and less interaction in the community, calling the ICO in the amount of money. Too big with high bonus to attract investment, too much advertising in the media to create investment trust. There are some signs of suspicion through my experience. I am currently investing in the EFFECT.AI project, which is a very good project in the field of artificial intelligence. The project is receiving great attention from the NEO community. The time to open ICO sale is only 15h, so you can study more about the project and register at the official address of the project: https://www.effect.ai/, KYC: https://effectai.typeform.com/to/wkKnjL.
yesuidanggan

Activity: 192
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 01:24:09 PM

The fake ICO always disguises the things that people should pay attention to!

Unprofessional personnel always find it hard to find a scam!

So we need government regulation of ico!

yojodojo21

Activity: 420
Merit: 171

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 02:36:47 PM

Base on my experience Scam ICO is will be known if there is no assurance like how can a project run smoothly if it is listed and how can the platform be able to function as what it is, there are so many ICO which produces lots of FUDs saying that project will be to the moon LOL, isn't it too obvious? Part of marketing. a true ICO project deals with Good reputation of developers, well created website (also can be an option to see if secured or not) and last but not the least you can identify scam ICO in it's feedback.
AngelSky

Activity: 1008
Merit: 537

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 03:25:28 PM

Base on my experience Scam ICO is will be known if there is no assurance like how can a project run smoothly if it is listed and how can the platform be able to function as what it is, there are so many ICO which produces lots of FUDs saying that project will be to the moon LOL, isn't it too obvious? Part of marketing. a true ICO project deals with Good reputation of developers, well created website (also can be an option to see if secured or not) and last but not the least you can identify scam ICO in it's feedback.

Machi you may find the scam ICO with the detailed information they have spreaded on white paper pdf file. Sometime as you said it may created by the some best ann creator and share it a fake one on the announcement thread.
If you able to find the developers details you write and ask about the project confirmation on LinkedIn. Normally This LinkedIn profile allows you to understand the project is whether going from the right hand or fake ERC20 creator.
Fatunad

Activity: 2254
Merit: 354

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 08:33:40 PM

Machi you may find the scam ICO with the detailed information they have spreaded on white paper pdf file. Sometime as you said it may created by the some best ann creator and share it a fake one on the announcement thread.
If you able to find the developers details you write and ask about the project confirmation on LinkedIn. Normally This LinkedIn profile allows you to understand the project is whether going from the right hand or fake ERC20 creator.
If you do made further investigations then these things should really be done on which checking out profile of the team behind on such project.If you do see suspicious things then better skip and find another project to invest on. Decisions would really vary on what we have read and discovered.If you are lazy enough to read up things and seeking out important informations then most likely you would really able to fall into the trap.
HappyMod

Activity: 224
Merit: 2

ICO Communtiy Management & Engagement happymod.io

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2018, 10:33:03 AM

One golden rule also is:
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Be very wary of projects where the team makes promises like; The coin will rise xxx% in price!
Those kinds of comments are not only unprobable, they're also straight up illegal.

Teams are not allowed to make such statements.

So remember, if you think it's a scam, you might just be spot on. Of course this isn't always true, but due dilligence is so important in a market where lots of people are just after your money.

Startup for Cryptocurrency Community Management, Engagement and Marketing. Expert in ICO Advising and moderation of social media platforms happymod.io
gantez

Activity: 1736
Merit: 121

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 06:26:38 PM

I have learnt not to doubt my instinct. If I have a little doubt in the ico or I read a FUD about it,  I just change my mind on it because once you put in your money and it happens to be fraud, you lost it for real, no recovery.

I actually check for straight forward paper and team plus the bounty manager, that is if it gets to forum here.
Mahanton

Activity: 2730
Merit: 632

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 08:06:28 PM

Good list, but it doesn't really end there. Since there are ICOs that start off legit, but end up being just a scam because the developers just don't do anything anymore to develop the token. Or that after the ICO it just straight off losses the value and the developers again stop developing the token because of that fact. It still takes luck even if you exercise utmost diligence in checking the ICO, so pray you get it right.
This is the reality part of ICO investment which even those legit ones and who do able to reach exchanges doesnt mean that they are already heading into success because most of them or the team do stop in mid-air when they do saw their token had dumped out they do left it together with the profits and the money they do had made without even thinking into its investors.Even these legit ones can really put you on loss.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
reflector

Activity: 826
Merit: 263

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 08:18:36 PM

I have learnt not to doubt my instinct. If I have a little doubt in the ico or I read a FUD about it,  I just change my mind on it because once you put in your money and it happens to be fraud, you lost it for real, no recovery.

I actually check for straight forward paper and team plus the bounty manager, that is if it gets to forum here.

Please do not invest on the ICO even legit one at this time. There are huge down fall trend going in the market, hence we may not able to believe the even legit project as well. Some of the ICO may delay the token sale and ending date of the sale.
If you want to join bounty campaign, please you check the bounty manager who is been part of this project and go to participate on them. Atleast you may earn the money for the tokens which is been part of bounty allocation.
cryptoyosh

Activity: 120

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 01:49:21 AM

You need to choose ICO who have been analyzed with due diligence by analysts and do not invest in pool syndicate that can steal your money. CryptoCompass is displaying ICO projects at presale stage with good entries. They don’t pool (risk and legal), but agree on exclusivity directly with the ICO team. So no additional risk from the investor side.

their new ANN : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3178063.new#new    

website to claim access : https://www.crypto-compass.io/
AVAMONEY

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 02:48:26 AM

1.Theme
I will not put on trust by seeking website theme of that project, this is 99% wrong step.

2.Technology
There are many ico project offered same technology, but in fact they're still failed reaching the sale target. So I think we must realize that we are not interesting in very modern technology, but we interesting in investing that can making money

3.Team
This one can be as important information, when i seen some project doesn't have good background dev or ceo, i will skip the project, risky to invest.

This is not affect anything, when the project gaining good public sale, that token will showing in some exchanges and can be trading.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: