Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:24:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-10-08 TheTimes.co.uk - Beware turning drug dealers into folk heroes  (Read 1231 times)
kiko (OP)

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 10:26:34 AM

[paywalled] http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/hugorifkind/article3889234.ece

The ‘pirates’ behind the Silk Road website are deluded if they think they are standing up for freedom
Look, if I were a multi- millionaire online drug dealer, I’d probably pretend it was all about the politics, too. Of a morning, in the bathroom, I just think it would make it a little easier to look at myself in the mirror.

Page 25 (opinion section) of the print edition.
murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 10:40:48 AM

+1

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
Gordon Bleu

Activity: 308

verified ✔

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 10:54:07 AM

like i would listen to some "deluded" Comment,
accept it the Drugs have won the War against Drugs

GAWMiners http://gawminers.com/ Gridseed ASICS in stock in USA
ONE YEAR FREE HOSTING AND ELECTRICITY WITH PURCHASE!

AROUSR.COM The Adult Chat Community (21+) We now accept BTCitcoins Smiley               |
Connect with hot girls for chat, talk, trade pics and more!➠Visit http://arousr.com (21+)|
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 12:46:07 PM

The article was written by Hugo Rifkind, son of the formerly influential Conservative politician Malcolm Rifkind. Little Hugo is a fully paid up honorary member of the political elite so when he speaks what you're really hearing is the political establishment rationalising the reasons for own its own existence.

I know replying to his piece with an ad hominem attack is the lowest form of argument but he was looking for it with the loaded language that he used.
PrintMule

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 12:48:56 PM

The article was written by Hugo Rifkind, son of the formerly influential Conservative politician Malcolm Rifkind. Little Hugo is a fully paid up honorary member of the political elite so when he speaks what you're really hearing is the political establishment rationalising the reasons for own its own existence.

I know replying to his piece with an ad hominem attack is the lowest form of argument but he was looking for it with the loaded language that he used.

Yeah, he's probably a dick, but still, his point is quite valid.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████
████▌   ▐████████▀    ███▄     ▄▄▄     ▄    ▄   ▐██   ██▄      ▄▄█████
████▌   ███████▀    ▄███████████████████████████████▄  ▀▀██████▀▀ ████
█████    ▀▀▀▀     ▄█████████▀    ▀█▀    ▀█       ▀████▄▄         ▄████
██████▄▄    ▄▄▄▄████████████  █████  ██  █  █  █  ████████████████████
█████████████████████████  █▄    ▄█▄    ▄█  █  █  ████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
eric345

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 03:00:27 PM
Last edit: October 08, 2013, 03:34:20 PM by eric345

The title is correct, but the rest is a biased opinion.
Technically speaking, the pirate behind sr. wasn't a drug dealer, he was a broker. The pirate sr programmer made a platform so that drug dealers could sell there stuff on-line, with a third party for save transactions.
Second, it's not just about politics, it's a lot more than that. For example, in the medical encyclopaedic cannabis is a medicine, but it's a illegal product in most countries. Same thing with opium. Besides that, the most lethal drugs, like herion, are created by pharmaceutical companies, or government controlled research departments.
Sr. gave people the option to choose between the two.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 05:16:08 PM

[paywalled] http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/hugorifkind/article3889234.ece

The ‘pirates’ behind the Silk Road website are deluded if they think they are standing up for freedom
Look, if I were a multi- millionaire online drug dealer, I’d probably pretend it was all about the politics, too. Of a morning, in the bathroom, I just think it would make it a little easier to look at myself in the mirror.

Page 25 (opinion section) of the print edition.

like that. i wonder why so much people feel like he is a hero, thats ridiculous. he had 80 mio dollar on his account and gives a shit on everyone who has nothing to eat etc. . thats no modern robin hood or something like that.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 06:12:59 PM

Yeah, he's probably a dick, but still, his point is quite valid.

Possibly not, when you consider the scale of how hypocritical it could be. Not to say the writer is somehow involved in drug dealing, but significant political figures do use their power and status to profit from drug dealing, although it's very rare that they are caught (the power and status must be useful even if they are caught). Simple use of illegal drugs is also not uncommon amongst the political class, I understand the surfaces in the toilet facilities in the European Parliament building in Brussels were once revealed to have significant evidence of cocaine use.

So, at best, Hugo is ignorant of the habits of those who have long inhabited his world, and at worst, he's shilling for them. In the most insidious way, no less.

Vires in numeris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: