Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:47:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining rig from GTX 1050 TI  (Read 269 times)
Vidicz (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 08:59:18 PM

Recently the only normal prices left for GPU's are the GTX 1050TI which are 4 GB's cards.

My question is if I buy them today, will they be able to mine something in 3 years or will the cards be too weak to mine at that point?

Thank you

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Subutai

Activity: 19

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 09:33:31 PM

You should be fine to mine something like Cryptonote for a while, but with only 4GB of memory stuff like Ethereum is out of the question.

As far as I've researched though the 1050s are not super great for mining overall.
flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 09:39:14 PM

You will likely see less returns on them are difficulty increases on the popular coins.  While there may be some coins that are able to mine with a 1050 your profitability will shrink slowly over the next 3 years.  Also the resale will continue to drop on those cards as new cards are released, especially 3 years from now. If you already have the cards then continue to mine on but buying them now may get you into the mining game now but might be best to hold off, buy coins directly until prices settle down or you can get the next generation cards when they come out if prices are not gouged for those as well.  As always dont take this as what will happen its just my take on it.
Vidicz (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 09:44:44 PM

Thank you.

I am not looking to mine ETH. My plan is to mine newer coins and hope to see them rise one day. Maybe a stupid experiment but I figure I can build a cheap mining rig with 6x 1050TI and hit new coins when they come out for few weeks when mining is easy. Get some stock of it and move to the next one...one will surly be a winner. Or is my thinking totaly stupid? Smiley
EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 11:02:59 PM

Recently the only normal prices left for GPU's are the GTX 1050TI which are 4 GB's cards.

My question is if I buy them today, will they be able to mine something in 3 years or will the cards be too weak to mine at that point?

I've got to be honest with you, I disagree with the premise. You can get some good cards for normal prices. I've seen 1080TIs going around here for 700-800 and those cards at that price will ROI in something like 5-months. I'm not too sure what kind of profit 1050ti's are getting now, but they've got to at least take that long to ROI if I'm not mistaken.

Three years down the road is anybody's guess. You might be the only person mining at that point or there might be an even more serious drought of VRAM, only time can tell. I'd assume that they will remain profitable long enough to ROI and then some without using the card too harsh. This will allow you to retire the card to a gaming rig, continue mining or sell the card used at a discount; either way I see it working out for you depending on the prices of electricity and how hard you run the card. You could very easily burn it out before a year if you're not careful.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 11:32:35 PM

You should be fine to mine something like Cryptonote for a while, but with only 4GB of memory stuff like Ethereum is out of the question.

As far as I've researched though the 1050s are not super great for mining overall.
Only 4GB? Even 3GB 1060 cards are still capable of mining Ethereum, and they're usually most profitable mining ETH, with the runner-up being Equihash. The 1050tis aren't as profitable currently on Ethereum compared to Zcash, but they sure are capable of mining ETH.

The 1050 Tis make around $25 per month on Zcash currently according to Nicehash and some other calculators I used, so assuming you get one for the price of $200 you break even in around 8 months with no changes to profitability (which will fluctuate, of course). I've noticed recently even the 1050tis have gone up in price, I recall seeing them sell for near or below $150 just a week or two ago and now they've climbed to $200 on Newegg.

The R9 series was profitable with mining for about as long as I can remember being in Crypto mining, and it still is. Past performance doesn't indicate future performance, though, especially with mining. Nobody knows if the 1050ti will be profitable even a year from now.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 12:10:29 AM

I would never recommend those low end cards to any of my customers. Now is not a good time to try and build any GPU rigs, doubly so if you are targeting these near useless low end cards.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 01:26:21 AM

Only 4GB? Even 3GB 1060 cards are still capable of mining Ethereum, and they're usually most profitable mining ETH, with the runner-up being Equihash. The 1050tis aren't as profitable currently on Ethereum compared to Zcash, but they sure are capable of mining ETH.

The 1050 Tis make around $25 per month on Zcash currently according to Nicehash and some other calculators I used, so assuming you get one for the price of $200 you break even in around 8 months with no changes to profitability (which will fluctuate, of course). I've noticed recently even the 1050tis have gone up in price, I recall seeing them sell for near or below $150 just a week or two ago and now they've climbed to $200 on Newegg.

The R9 series was profitable with mining for about as long as I can remember being in Crypto mining, and it still is. Past performance doesn't indicate future performance, though, especially with mining. Nobody knows if the 1050ti will be profitable even a year from now.

I agree all the way, 4GB really isn't trivial. Especially when you can just stack multiple of them and make it virtually any amount you would like. 8-months is a bit long for ROI in my opinion, but that's definitely not that bad for the price point at all. Ethereum is remarkably easy to mine on, compared to BTC GPUs are actually still viable. The price climb is probably because people are going down their list of GPUs they'd like and as stores sell out they move on to a new card to sell out. I would expect the 1050's to climb until they're $300+ or sold out. The R9's have been absurd in their longevity, but I'm hoping the 1080ti's have a longer run.

I would never recommend those low end cards to any of my customers. Now is not a good time to try and build any GPU rigs, doubly so if you are targeting these near useless low end cards.

Why wouldn't you recommend them? The lower end cards are very profitable in certain instances, plus what if their budget is lower? I have heard endless success stories with low end cards and it would be foolish to discredit these. I also disagree that now is a bad time to throw together a GPU rig, if you can find good prices on a couple cards you will be rewarded handsomely as always.
pickleburglar

Activity: 70

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 02:18:36 AM

3 years? We have no clue whats going to happen 3 days from now  Grin this is not the type of business that gives you guarantees
Munz77

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 10:34:35 AM

I am mining Eth with 12 x 1050ti, 180MH/s. Estimated earnings from ethermine are 277$ a month, January i was earning 700$. So i think they are good mining cards, the difficulty on ether constantly increases, so i don`t know what will happen in the future.

Same for me. Plus the added benefit of very low power usage compared to 1060's & 1070's
kiver

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 12:08:15 PM

Thank you.

I am not looking to mine ETH. My plan is to mine newer coins and hope to see them rise one day. Maybe a stupid experiment but I figure I can build a cheap mining rig with 6x 1050TI and hit new coins when they come out for few weeks when mining is easy. Get some stock of it and move to the next one...one will surly be a winner. Or is my thinking totaly stupid? Smiley
your idea isn't totally stupid but i don't advise you to do it not every new mining coin is a success and if you a good profit in the long term you can try hunt for icos there are some very promising ico's laying around which will give a very nice roi over your investment and of course that's your decision in the end
mrstark89

Activity: 284

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 02:45:56 PM

With this 6x1050Ti rig you will get about 90 MH/s with ETH/ETC/EXP/PIRL/ELLA.... so you have 0.007 ETH per day
Consider to mine new and potential coins for better profit
I have no idea what will happen with gpu mining in next year
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: