Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:42:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New mining pool for testing (now closed)  (Read 20701 times)
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2011, 09:06:30 PM

It would be nice to say to potential users that this version is vulnerable and may not be used in production.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zipslack

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 03:16:33 AM

It would be nice to say to potential users that this version is vulnerable and may not be used in production.

Do you care to explain that statement? It resembles a baseless accusation.  Wink
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 04:02:38 AM

Do you care to explain that statement? It resembles a baseless accusation.  Wink

slush is right, but he's being terse because we discussed the vulnerabilities in private...  Once my further changes survive testing on this new mining pool, I'll update the code again.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 05:51:32 AM

The pool found its first block last night, block # 105839.

Now that a block is in the database, work on statistics may commence.

My miner has been connected for a few days so should have some shares in that block. It's slow so it wouldn't have been a large %. Do you have a minimum BTC level threshold before you send coins out?

jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 11:11:34 PM
Last edit: February 04, 2011, 01:12:58 AM by jgarzik

This mining pool test has been a smashing success.  Thanks to all who helped out with their CPU/GPU cycles.  Here's a quick briefing.

1. What was being tested?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm working on a suite of bitcoin-related services.  Mining pool capability is a small part of that.  This was a live test of code that will be deployed in production later on.  We found many bugs that a static, in-house test could have never found.  slush was also very generous with advice and cautionary warnings.

To thank the community for the help, the core server source code has been GPL'd and released:  http://yyz.us/bitcoin/poold.py   However, it should be noted that that server is missing several data validations that need to occur (to prevent cheating).

2. What is the current status of the pool?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Only one block was ever generated by the pool (which IMO is fantastic, given current difficulty, short notice and informal nature of this new pool)

You can get real-time stats at http://pool.yyz.us/stats.cgi

As I consider this a concluded test, I will be shutting down the pool next week -- hopefully enough time to generate another block for the remaining folks who contributed shares.  I have switched my own GPU miners back to slush's pool, though my CPU miners are still pointed at pool.yyz.us.

3. What is the status of the payout -- where my money?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have one block (50 BTC), which was confirmed 87 blocks ago as of this writing.

Based on a technical reading of slush's site, I wrote the software so that only miners who got shares in the block we generated got credit:  "When the pool mints a block, only users who worked on that block are rewarded, and only for work they did on that block."  But apparently I wrote the software incorrectly, because people expected to be rewarded based on shares contributed to all blocks up to and including the newly minted 50BTC block.

So according to my software, this is the winning distribution based on those who worked on block 105839,
     mine319.pit00     211
     mine300pit04     48
     BitCoinPurse     7
     worker102     2
     immaminer     2
     Raulo     2
     wtf     2
     test     1
     mine319.pit00     1

That excludes shares contributed on blocks prior to 105839, and some ~18 hours of shares in the current round, and those records cannot easily be recreated due to since-fixed software bugs.

So, since it's only 50 BTC and I don't want to argue endlessly about it, as a compromise I am going send 1.00 BTC to each of 41 registered users, and then divide the remaining 9 BTC up according to the distribution above.

If the mining pool mints another 50 BTC block in the next ~5 days or so, those share records are present, and I can do a real, slush-like distribution of the reward.  After that, the pool server will be shut down.

4.  What comes next?
---------------------------------------------
Here are some tantalizing hints:
  • push-based mining (current RPC miners poll for new work every few seconds)
  • geographically distributed mining servers in the US, Eur and Asia, for best possible latency
  • additional share rewards -- sometimes we might want to compensate you above the 50 BTC reward itself, because your mining increases the security and value of our network

jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2011, 12:28:29 AM

So, since it's only 50 BTC and I don't want to argue endlessly about it, as a compromise I am going send 1.00 BTC to each of 41 registered users, and then divide the remaining 9 BTC up according to the distribution above.

This payout has been made.

LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
February 04, 2011, 12:39:49 AM
Last edit: February 04, 2011, 01:03:04 AM by lzsaver

Got it, thanks! By the way, what indices have I to create for users, shares and credits tables in the database?

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
Anonymous

February 04, 2011, 01:12:02 AM

Added my miniscule khashes to the pool lol.

Protip - a pentium D cpu is not the best for mining  Cheesy

jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2011, 01:22:21 AM

Got it, thanks! By the way, what indices have I to create for users, shares and credits tables in the database?

Not sure I want to give out all the secret sauce Wink  Left as an exercise to the reader.

slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2011, 09:26:30 AM
Last edit: February 04, 2011, 09:44:53 AM by slush

and those records cannot easily be recreated

So, shortly said, this is a scam. gene, where are you???

(edit: I hope it is obvious that I'm kidding.)

BitCoinPurse

Activity: 34

View Profile
February 04, 2011, 01:51:39 PM

I got my 1.23 BTC, which will be worth $2,856,092,198.89 someday! 

I enjoyed helping the experiment.
Raulo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2011, 02:04:57 PM

Based on a technical reading of slush's site, I wrote the software so that only miners who got shares in the block we generated got credit:  "When the pool mints a block, only users who worked on that block are rewarded, and only for work they did on that block."  But apparently I wrote the software incorrectly, because people expected to be rewarded based on shares contributed to all blocks up to and including the newly minted 50BTC block.

But what you programmed is actually a perfect pool-abuse countermeasure that I realized after reading about your method:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3165.0

Instead of switching to slush's method, you should keep this one.

1HAoJag4C3XtAmQJAhE9FTAAJWFcrvpdLM
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2011, 11:44:14 PM

The pool will be shut down Monday at 11:59pm EST.  Until then, I'm keeping my CPU miners going on it, at least Smiley

motherhumper

Activity: 16

View Profile
February 05, 2011, 11:16:38 AM

Cheesy lol $2,856,092,198.89 per bitcoin?  how did you com up with that number?  Grin
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2011, 04:59:00 AM

The pool has been shut down.  Thanks to all who helped test!  Only one block was found during this test, from beginning to end.

baitzor

Activity: 6

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 03:41:51 AM

I'm interested in starting my own mining server, got most of it down, all I have to implement is the getwork method, for geting new hashes, is the latest poold.py the one I should be looking at?

Where did you get starting on reading about getwork, or did you just look up the code from the bitcoin client?
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 04:48:46 AM

I'm interested in starting my own mining server, got most of it down, all I have to implement is the getwork method, for geting new hashes, is the latest poold.py the one I should be looking at?

Where did you get starting on reading about getwork, or did you just look up the code from the bitcoin client?

You will need to intimately understand the mining process, notably the binary layout of the 80-byte bitcoin block headers.  The best reference is the C++ source code for the official bitcoin client.

Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2011, 11:27:27 AM

The pool has been shut down.  Thanks to all who helped test!  Only one block was found during this test, from beginning to end.
I assume it didn't go all that well, I'm sorry to hear it. It's always been my opinion that if we really must have pools (instead of running hundreds of independent miners) we should have many of them to chose from, as to avoid central points of failure. Should slush turn out to be taken down or replaced by a malicious entity we'd have a problem at hand.

Meanwhile, thank you for publishing part of your code, I'll use it in my own mining rig if that's ok, and if someone can confirm that it actually works Cheesy

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 07:37:44 PM

I assume it didn't go all that well, I'm sorry to hear it.

Scroll up for test results ("smashing success").

It's always been my opinion that if we really must have pools (instead of running hundreds of independent miners) we should have many of them to chose from, as to avoid central points of failure. Should slush turn out to be taken down or replaced by a malicious entity we'd have a problem at hand.

I agree, the more pools, the better for bitcoin.  That's why I published my code!

dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 08:08:16 AM

U saying u closed the mining pool?

coz i just registered & try to run & got error

problem communicating with RPC....
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All