Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:43:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are you buying your BitCoins  (Read 2899 times)
mvoss (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 05:45:32 PM

I want to buy some BitCoins with USD, WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT?!?!?!?  First of all, forget eBay, they are $20 each or more.  I heard MtGox is reputable & opened an acct, hoping to buy them there.  But I can't. I need to "add funds" in first. (Why can't I just do that with a bank transfer to MtGox?) So, I opened a Dwolla account.  It took 3 days for them to verify my checking account. Now that's finally done, I had to sit and wait another 2 or 3 days for the actual money to make it from my checking account to Dwolla (just shows up as pending till it cleared). Then someone told me that bitcoin7.com is a fast site to buy BitCoins. Knowing I had funds in Dwolla, I went to bitcoin7.com, clicked on the "add funds through Dwolla" link, and got the message "sorry, you we can not process funds through Dwolla now"  Is this some kind of practical joke or something? Why is it so DAMNED hard to obtain BitCoins? Or do I just not know the way to do it like most of the non-newbies are doing it? I FINALLY obtained some BitCoins at TradeHill, but geez, the hoops you have to jump through to get any is like some big practical joke.  My guess is that the difficulty in obtaining BitCoins is what's preventing them from growing in popularity.  I'd really like to hear where the other members are buying their BitCoins...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 05:47:13 PM

If you're lucky enough to live in Canada, or have a bank account here, you just open an account with Virtex, do an interac email transfer from your bank to them and in a couple hours tops you can be buying your BTC.
The_JMiner

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 07:04:31 PM

I buy from Tradehill. I have done transactions both sells and buys in less than a few hours.
(I did have money in my dwolla account though)

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 07:05:19 PM

Congratulations, you've discovered one of Bitcoin's advantages over the existing banking system: No waiting 3 days to validate an account or send money.

In short, it's hard to buy bitcoins since (most of) the old guard really don't want to make it easy. Bitcoin is going to kill them. Smiley

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
riceberry

Activity: 491
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 07:13:41 PM

I buy from cavirtex as piper mentioned, but I live in Canada, for Canadians it's a great service
 Roll Eyes
Serith

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 07:18:28 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2011, 10:30:42 PM by Serith

I want to buy some BitCoins with USD, WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT?!?!?!?  First of all, forget eBay, they are $20 each or more.  I heard MtGox is reputable & opened an acct, hoping to buy them there.  But I can't. I need to "add funds" in first. (Why can't I just do that with a bank transfer to MtGox?) So, I opened a Dwolla account.  It took 3 days for them to verify my checking account. Now that's finally done, I had to sit and wait another 2 or 3 days for the actual money to make it from my checking account to Dwolla (just shows up as pending till it cleared). Then someone told me that bitcoin7.com is a fast site to buy BitCoins. Knowing I had funds in Dwolla, I went to bitcoin7.com, clicked on the "add funds through Dwolla" link, and got the message "sorry, you we can not process funds through Dwolla now"  Is this some kind of practical joke or something? Why is it so DAMNED hard to obtain BitCoins? Or do I just not know the way to do it like most of the non-newbies are doing it? I FINALLY obtained some BitCoins at TradeHill, but geez, the hoops you have to jump through to get any is like some big practical joke.  My guess is that the difficulty in obtaining BitCoins is what's preventing them from growing in popularity.  I'd really like to hear where the other members are buying their BitCoins...

Just couple days ago WARlrus came up with service that allows to use SMS payments to buy Bitcoins http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=29992.msg386319#msg386319, i hope such service would be available soon in US

If you're lucky enough to live in Canada, or have a bank account here, you just open an account with Virtex, do an interac email transfer from your bank to them and in a couple hours tops you can be buying your BTC.

Yep, i use interac all the time, SEPA in Europe should be good too, sorry to say but US ... well its stone age in US.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:39:06 PM

There are a number of methods to obtain bitcoins quickly in the U.S.

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Buying_bitcoins

You can transact with an exchange where MoneyPak is accepted.  MoneyPak is available at thousands of locations.
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/MoneyPak

You might find someone local willing to trade:
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Category:Local

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 05:32:49 AM

I heard MtGox is reputable & opened an acct, hoping to buy them there.  But I can't. I need to "add funds" in first. (Why can't I just do that with a bank transfer to MtGox?)

So why can't you?
I just added funds via bank transfer.

I'm curious as to why this was a problem for you.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

Activity: 258

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 09:32:27 AM

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not working for Virtex. Mind giving your impressions on what makes it superior to MtGox/others for Soviet Canuckistans?
Serith

Activity: 269

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 12:24:17 PM

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not working for Virtex. Mind giving your impressions on what makes it superior to MtGox/others for Soviet Canuckistans?

Virtex not superior by it self, but because it utilizes convenient money transfer system called Interac  http://www.interac.ca/. e.g. I send money from my TD EasyWeb, it costs 1.5$, takes 1-2 hours to process and recipient doesn't get my personal information.
Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 12:59:14 PM

Not working for nor in any way associated with Virtex here. Primarily, what makes it superior is that I can fund my account from my Iphone, on my way to work, and by the time I make it to work the money is usually there and I can start trading. That isn't necessarily due to Virtex itself, but to the fact that Canadian banks have a system called Interac email transfer, which makes it much faster than, in my experience, MtGox/others.

Their interface could improve, IMO. But if the question is where to BUY bitcoins, as opposed to where to engage in day trading of bitcoins, for anyone in Canada the answer is pretty clear.

And if I get into a car crash while funding my account on my iPhone, I will be rushed to the hospital, get first class treatment and when I'm healthy again will walk out of the hospital and never see a bill... so yes, if you're lucky enough to live in Canada :-)
giantdragon
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 05:31:11 PM

I bought them at bitcoin7.com.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 06:20:29 PM

I started out frustrated because it was not clear to me that I could not realistically just mine a fraction to play around with using just a CPU.  Built the software and got kicked out of the second mining pool I tried for inefficiency.  The first pool (some .cz one) was down or something. 

Much of the info I ran across about Bitcoin was 'ancient' (as in, written some months ago.)  I like building machines, but a little research indicated to me that building an efficient miner was not really the way I wanted to go.  I wanted to acquire more BTC than I could realistically mine in the timeframe I wanted them even with a good mining rig, but less than the cost of a good rig with high-end cards (if they were even available.)  Lesson:  put high priority on ultra-new information (if the author was thoughtful enough to provide a date.)

So, it was purchase for me.

I wished to drain the money I had in paypal for philosophical reasons, so I gravitated to bitmarket.eu.  These guys seem to do some manual research to try to figure out if your are a scammer before they let you play, but that took less than a day in my case.  So far, bitmarket.eu has worked well for me as a buyer, and I still used it from time to time if I want some smallish number of coins in a hurry.  (Funny story...the last time I used bitmarket.eu, the seller had all kinds of issues with Paypal and I had to really work at it to get him his money.  But I had my BTC right away.)

The cost on bitmarket.eu tends to be a bit higher since it is a risk to the seller (I am supposing.)  So I set up a Tradehill account.  I had limited experience with wiring money and was not looking forward to it.  As it turns out,  I can stop by the bank on the way to work, and the money would be in Tradehill by the afternoon and ready to trade.  Shortly after than, I've got what I want in my working wallet.  Not bad at all.  Tradehill has normally been pretty fast at sending me my BTC, but the last time I did it it took until the next morning.  This was an annoyance to me.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 07:22:39 PM

You could sell something for bitcoins.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 02:25:04 AM

Not working for nor in any way associated with Virtex here. Primarily, what makes it superior is that I can fund my account from my Iphone, on my way to work, and by the time I make it to work the money is usually there and I can start trading. That isn't necessarily due to Virtex itself, but to the fact that Canadian banks have a system called Interac email transfer, which makes it much faster than, in my experience, MtGox/others.

Their interface could improve, IMO. But if the question is where to BUY bitcoins, as opposed to where to engage in day trading of bitcoins, for anyone in Canada the answer is pretty clear.

And if I get into a car crash while funding my account on my iPhone, I will be rushed to the hospital, get first class treatment and when I'm healthy again will walk out of the hospital and never see a bill... so yes, if you're lucky enough to live in Canada :-)

Thanks for the response. I do wonder where you will be getting that first class private treatment in the Canadian healthcare system, but that's another topic.

What are the fees like with Virtex? You have about $1.50 with each Interac email transaction, what else is there on top of that?
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 02:30:20 AM

Works for me.

Still around.
Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 02:58:48 AM

Not working for nor in any way associated with Virtex

Thanks for the response. I do wonder where you will be getting that first class private treatment in the Canadian healthcare system, but that's another topic.

What are the fees like with Virtex? You have about $1.50 with each Interac email transaction, what else is there on top of that?

Actually, my bank just lowered the interac fee to $1.00, and Virtex charges .59% per transaction ( I think). They cap you at $5,000. So if you transfer the max, the $1.00 fee is very low.

Cheers.
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 03:12:16 AM

Have they solved their Dwolla problem yet?

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 04:43:56 AM

Actually, my bank just lowered the interac fee to $1.00, and Virtex charges .59% per transaction ( I think). They cap you at $5,000. So if you transfer the max, the $1.00 fee is very low.

Cheers.

On their website it said it was charged at 1% of the transaction value, which is rather high but not terrible for the convenience I guess. Here is a useful option for Interac in case you're willing to get another bank account.. http://www.banking.pcfinancial.ca/a/waystobank/interacDirectPayment.page?refId=sidenav  *Edit: Just realized this is direct payment and probably wouldn't apply to email transfers.

What have you been using to sell? Or are you primarily just hoarding for the moment?
WiseOldOwl

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2011, 07:36:14 AM

You can get them in a couple hours from us,

http://BitcoinBux.com

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: