Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 09:54:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 27 confirmations and counting...  (Read 1627 times)
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:54:35 PM

This is exactly where I started before even posting here. Sorry, but in my eyes this link is technical mumbo jumbo. Level 1.2. From my limited experience i assume it will get there for sure, but i don't know up to how many hours it can take. I don't care about "nodes, confirmations, blocks". Neither does your father (probably) Cheesy

The reason I said what I said is because of my legitimate concern for you.  Bitcoin is not like fiat currency, it requires a much higher level of user competence.  Without this competence, you are susceptible to making mistakes that could cost you your coins.  The fact that this is a BETA project and you want to use it but don't care to learn about it (and worse, you assume you don't need to learn about it) is alarming.

I spent over a dozen hours researching Bitcoin before I even downloaded my first client.  
BitcoinForumator (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:54:57 PM

Try explaining this to your sister. I'm sure she will appreciate the "blocks and hashrate" discussion.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:58:49 PM

Try explaining this to your sister. I'm sure she will appreciate the "blocks and hashrate" discussion.

Bitcoin is open to both sexes.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 04:59:59 PM

To help you, can you provide a link on blockchain.info of your transaction?

the joint
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:00:13 PM

Thanks. Finally a more layman answer. Some of you get all riled about because the noob doesn't understand the obvious (for you). Look, i made a transaction from Bitstamp and it was 0.01 (it's tiny but it's not super tiny and i assumed there was fee. I have read before that with "no fees" it could take more time. Uptil now i did let's say 50 transactions total and didn't get this experience of this many confirmations.

It should be "obvious" that a person ought to spend time researching a radically new currency before attempting to use it.

It should be equally obvious that this concern takes precedence over your specific question, and that is why some if us are addressing this concern instead of directly answering your question.
BitcoinForumator (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:01:21 PM

This is exactly where I started before even posting here. Sorry, but in my eyes this link is technical mumbo jumbo. Level 1.2. From my limited experience i assume it will get there for sure, but i don't know up to how many hours it can take. I don't care about "nodes, confirmations, blocks". Neither does your father (probably) Cheesy

The reason I said what I said is because of my legitimate concern for you.  Bitcoin is not like fiat currency, it requires a much higher level of user competence.  Without this competence, you are susceptible to making mistakes that could cost you your coins.  The fact that this is a BETA project and you want to use it but don't care to learn about it (and worse, you assume you don't need to learn about it) is alarming.

I spent over a dozen hours researching Bitcoin before I even downloaded my first client.  

That's why i've sent 0.01 to "test the waters". I can risk this. But let me add some details. I'm not your sister, i'm your sister 2.0 Smiley I know more than you assume right now, but i'm really not interested in "nodes, etc discussion". From all that i've gathered about bitcoin i trust it enough to use it. But I will not get into the programming side because to me it's chinese.

What are you going to say to all the grandmas, fathers, brothers out there? You tell them don't use it at all (don't even test it) unless you 100 percent understand the technical side of it? I doubt you do...
BitcoinForumator (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:03:14 PM

To help you, can you provide a link on blockchain.info of your transaction?

https://blockchain.info/address/1DbAVc7iGbrHKhztto6pwEZ85oSHuHurp1
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:07:26 PM

That account is now empty.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:12:01 PM

Yes, 6 seconds later.

BitcoinForumator (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:13:50 PM

Btw, this was the address i've got from a poker site. I didn't send the full amount immediately just for the reason of testing it. I have done this before on this exact same poker site and it got there fine, but that was months ago (at that time it was 50$ish). It's also a trusted poker site (iPoker skin), not the proverbial poker scam site.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:18:21 PM

That's why i've sent 0.01 to "test the waters". I can risk this. But let me add some details. I'm not your sister, i'm your sister 2.0 Smiley I know more than you assume right now, but i'm really not interested in "nodes, etc discussion". From all that i've gathered about bitcoin i trust it enough to use it. But I will not get into the programming side because to me it's chinese.

What are you going to say to all the grandmas, fathers, brothers out there? You tell them don't use it at all (don't even test it) unless you 100 percent understand the technical side of it? I doubt you do...

Talking about nodes isn't talking about the "programming" side of things.  It's understanding an integral part of the Bitcoin system.  I'm not suggesting you need to learn or understand code, I'm just suggesting that you might want to have a working conceptual model of the Bitcoin protocol so that you know how it, well, works.

And yes, that is exactly what I tell them, "Don't use it unless you do your due diligence first."  Bitcoin is a BETA project and it's not ready for everyone to use.  Developers are working on making it more accessible. But I can't tell you how many times people willingly encourage their own ignorance, then mess up somewhere and lose all their coins, and then they blame Bitcoin for being too technical for the average user.  Well, it IS too technical for the average user still, and until more user-friendly services and software become available, then I wouldn't want my friends and family using it.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:21:47 PM

It may seem like posters are being condescending, but they are trying to help. Your transaction will eventually have thousands of confirmations. After 1 confirmation your transaction is in the blockchain. Because it is theoretically possible to create a second chain and stop the payment, you may want to wait for more confirmations. By 6, it is so deep in the chain that it is a done deal. Even a string of super computers could not forge a fork of the chain.
For a small transaction (>$200) I use one or two confirmations. If I were selling a gold bar I would want at least six. Basically I do a risk / value assessment.    

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:36:19 PM

OP, why should we help someone who isn't willing to help him/herself? You don't want to learn, you want to be spoon-fed.
BitcoinForumator (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:48:46 PM

OP, why should we help someone who isn't willing to help him/herself? You don't want to learn, you want to be spoon-fed.

Ignore me, that would be the best advice for you.

I admitted i dread when i see a link with technical discussion because it tells me almost nothing. Also, i googled for half an hour before posting here but yes, i want to be spoon fed the layman answer because i didn't get it.

Anyways, i fully agree that it's not typical user friendly yet and this is the proof. I use 2FA, i made paper wallets, i've been reading about bitcoin for half a year but my weak point is when it's starts getting into the level i mentioned 10 times.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:50:29 PM

i've been reading about bitcoin for half a year

Bullshit!
BitcoinForumator (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:52:28 PM

Bullshit!

Omg, lol. Sure, try me? Ask me questions. But let me give you some keywords to help you.

BTC-e, Bitstamp, Gox.

Roger Ver

Let's talk bitcoin, Ed and Ethan show.

Securities, ActiveMining, scam Labcoin.

Shall i go on? Asshole...
BitcoinForumator (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:55:14 PM

I can play your stupid game if you want to. I guess I can know all these things in 2 minutes after you accusing me of lying. And btw even after your first reply I could smell that you're trying to be an asshole.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:55:30 PM

Bullshit!

Omg, lol. Sure, try me? Ask me questions. But let me give you some keywords to help you.

BTC-e, Bitstamp, Gox.

Roger Ver

And yet you didn't read what really matters so you can understand what you've been using for half a year.
This is Bitcoin, I'll believe you when I see 6 confirmations.
EDIT: Yes, I'm an asshole. But dicks like you have no chance on fucking me.
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 05:57:49 PM

Bullshit!

BTC-e, Bitstamp, Gox.

Roger Ver

LOL
Knowing about the BTC universe isn't enough.
You must learn BTC itself.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
BitcoinForumator (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 06:00:56 PM

Bullshit!

BTC-e, Bitstamp, Gox.

Roger Ver

And yet you didn't read what really matters so you can understand what you've been using for half a year.
This is Bitcoin, I'll believe you when I see 6 confirmations.

I use 2FA, i made paper wallets, i don't send full amounts right of the bat. I think i'm in a relatively safe position to use bitcoin. I read about it daily. I know more thank you think, YET, I dread the techical discussion because I don't understand it, which I also admitted. But from what i know, I trust it enough to use it. For instance when I took a look at that blockchain info link i didn't see that it was emptied, which is also a problem ofcourse, but it's not the biggest issue. But i'm ending this discussion with you.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: