Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 04:34:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin lightning network  (Read 139 times)
miningchris (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 08:36:15 AM

Hi, i have a question related to the new bitcoin lightning network Protokoll and hope someone can help me to understand the following think:
I read everywhere that the bitcoin lightning network will be the game changer for the Bitcoin Blockchain because it will made transaction faster and
the Network do not need as much mining power as it need currently but i do not understand why.

If i'm right or understand it correctly the lightning network will bring the posibility to perform transactions in a privat chanel. So everything happening in this chanel will be fast and instand so
if i buy my coffee i can pay it and this transaction will be done very fast. But at the and when the transation is done and the chanell closed, it will be send to the bitcoin blockchain and here it have to be mined again
in the same way as we do it now (only a few transactions per minut).
So how the lightning network solve the currently problems bitcoin have in the bitcoin blockchain?

Thanks for explanation
Best Regards
Chris
krishnapramod
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 11:29:31 AM

Opening and closing of channels happen on Blockchain, in between you can send numerous offchain transactions through LN. When you open a channel you're not just getting connected to a coffee shop, but to the whole network via nodes which includes exchanges, other services/retailers, that's why you don't have to open a new channel for a new purpose, so opening a channel to just make a one-time payment for a coffee and then closing the channel isn't necessary. If your channel runs out of funds you can rebalance it with a single on-chain payment. If a good number of transactions are happening offchain it would solve Blockchain's congestion issues and on-chain fees would be much cheaper. LN is not for large-value transactions, but for small day-to-day purchases.

This infographics would be more helpful, https://i.imgur.com/L10n4ET.png

https://unlikekinds.com/t/bitcoin-s-lightning-network-doesn-t-require-you-to-open-a-channel-for-each-person-want-to-pay
AraBalderas

Activity: 103

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 05:39:16 AM

After all i think BTC will die and Lightning network is not  necessary
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 07:51:10 PM

After all i think BTC will die and Lightning network is not  necessary
The lightning network is necessary because next time people will rush again for bitcoin it will be a much higher demand for bitcoin compared to the end of 2017 (noone knows when it will start again...). That time the mempool was full and the transaction fee was high (higher than before, ever). Now those days are over and we have a kind of grace period, which is good to prepare for the next rush...
It's easier (and cheaper) now to test opening and closing the channels when the mempool is nearly empty, so it's good for the development too.
stephylarde

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 01:39:05 PM

The Lightning Network is a "second layer" payment protocol that operates on top of a blockchain (most commonly Bitcoin). It enables instant transactions between participating nodes and has been touted as a solution to the bitcoin scalability problem. It features a peer-to-peer system for making micropayments of digital cryptocurrency through a network of bidirectional payment channels without delegating custody of funds and minimizing trust of third parties.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: