Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:38:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can US citizens expect the same fate on Havelock?  (Read 3155 times)
bobdude17 (OP)

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 09:41:02 PM

Is there even a solution here?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ar9

Activity: 352

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 09:45:50 PM

Well.. Havelock is based out of Canada and BTC-TC was based out of "Belize" but operating out of Oregon... so there's that...
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 09:49:03 PM

I would also like to know...
bobdude17 (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 10:30:39 PM

Move to 796.com perhaps? Hong Kong doesn't seem to give a fuck.
bobboooiie

Activity: 656
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 10:32:28 PM

Well at this point it will happen everywhere and then some JD etc no excluded, until we get up p2p stuff for everything US gov is going to be doing this.
bobdude17 (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 10:35:23 PM

Well at this point it will happen everywhere and then some JD etc no excluded, until we get up p2p stuff for everything US gov is going to be doing this.

Right but Hong Kong might be one of the few places that flips the USG the bird when they tell 796 to cut off their American investors.
bobboooiie

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 10:37:34 PM

Right but Hong Kong might be one of the few places that flips the USG the bird when they tell 796 to cut off their American investors.

"Hong kong" doesnt run that exchange though... If you are threatened by US GOV as a person who run small business its up to you what do you do. And look how brave ethan and ukyo are beeing ...
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 10:38:15 PM

The US government isn't doing this. It's paranoid of people running the exchanges doing this.
The SEC has legalized crowdfunding and the new law is set to take effect this year. SecondMarket already has a Bitcoin Trust for accredited investors. Unaccredited investors will be able to invest sometime in late 2013 when the SEC phases that into effect.

Bitfunder and BTCT are basically creating an opportunity for another exchange to start up and launch in late 2013 offering equity crowd funding for unaccredited investors. BTCT and Bitfunder could have waited a few months but I think the arrests from the FBI and their legal advisers have them spooked.
mgio

Activity: 546

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 10:38:59 PM

Maybe I should start a company to develop a P2P exchange. I could raise money for it on bitfunder....oh wait
bobdude17 (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 10:39:50 PM

"Hong kong" doesnt run that exchange though... If you are threatened by US GOV as a person who run small business its up to you what do you do. And look how brave ethan and ukyo are beeing ...

No but they are a legally registered Hong Kong exchange. Which might give them some protection. The Hong Kong government might not care if the SEC has an issue with one of their registered businesses.
Luckybit

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 10:40:35 PM

But even if the SEC would say that and it makes no sense why they would, the new law takes effect in a matter of months. Crowdfunding is not going to be illegal in 2014 so by the time the SEC does do something it will be legal anyway. If the exchange is not in the USA then it probably wont be worth it for the SEC to bother with it. If the exchange is in the US that is an exchange which will probably have to shut down until 2014 to US customers. Bitfunder and others could encourage US investors to wait it out, I'm not sure why they want to initiate panic selling.
bobboooiie

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 10:42:11 PM

what time it is in most of the US countries btw ? Is this being outed why most of the america is awake at least ?
Luckybit

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 10:44:46 PM

"Title III of the JOBS Act: Public Securities Crowd Investing.  This next part of the JOBS Act is probably what the law is best known for: legalizing securities crowd investing.  More specifically, a company can raise up to $1 million within a 12 month period from the general public through a broker-dealer or ‘funding portal’ website.  Investors are subject to annual investment caps based on their income or wealth, and there are investor education requirements, as well as limits on general advertising.  This portion of the law also requires SEC rulemaking before it can ‘go live.’ The SEC is now nine months late on issuing new rules, although the prevailing expectation based on Commission statements is that proposed rules will be out this fall.  Nevertheless, until final rules are issued, securities crowd investing is not permitted.  Instead, only close cousin 506(c) investing is available to a limited percentage of the population.  For the sake of clarity, let’s differentiate between non-financial-return or donation-based ‘crowdfunding,’ Title II 506(c) investing, and Title III: crowd investing.
Title IV of the JOBS Act: Regulation A+.  This next title of the JOBS Act potentially increases the attractiveness of another securities registration exemption.  Regulation A has permitted the sale of securities to both accredited and unaccredited investors so long as the issuer files a mini-registration with the SEC and complies with relevant state law requirements in each state where funds are solicited.  One online issuer, Fundrise, has used this exemption to raise money from investors in Washington, D.C. and Virginia for a local commercial real estate project.  Title IV of the JOBS Act increases the offering limit from $5 million to $50 million in a 12-month period, requires that certain filings be provided to investors, and provides for annual audited financial statements.  This portion of the law requires SEC rulemaking before going live, which has to date not yet occurred.  For the sake of clarity, lawyers and wonks tend to call this portion of the law: Reg A+ investing."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2013/10/08/the-jobs-act-isnt-all-crowdfunding/
btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 10:45:36 PM

what time it is in most of the US countries btw ? Is this being outed why most of the america is awake at least ?

6:45PM est

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
bitrich

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 10:52:19 PM

All seems a bit sketchy to me, I wasnt holding anything on bitfunder or btct except for NEOBEE pre-ipvo but I liquidated those immediately and invested at havelock. I'm holding a few on havelock. I don't think havelock will have any trouble, the crowdfunding law passed and we should be ok once that takes effect. With the current U.S. shutdown/default situation, I think I would be a fool to sell ANY possible shelters from US economic disaster. So you won't find me panic selling.
shadallion

Activity: 304
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 11:17:23 PM

What a horrible day for bitcoin.  

Guess I just have to keep holding, as I wasn't among the lucky few who happened to be sitting at their computers with their finger hovered over the "Sell" button the instant this news was - unconscionably - posted on the bitfunder page.
bobdude17 (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:09:38 AM

No but they are a legally registered Hong Kong exchange. Which might give them some protection. The Hong Kong government might not care if the SEC has an issue with one of their registered businesses.

ActiveMining has sent a request to be listed on www.796.com

Any other securities?
talnted

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

www.bitcoingem.com

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 02:50:04 PM

I hope that we do not see the same thing happen to Havelock

The Original and Most Popular Gem Game: www.bitcoingem.com
Over 800+ BTC Paid Out!  1110+ Buyers of the Gem!
gog1

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 03:04:16 PM

Can't the US just seize the domain?  It's .com after all and US controls it.

havelock is in Canada, it's more less like the 51st state, not sure how safe it would be.
Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 03:05:47 PM

Can't the US just seize the domain?  It's .com after all and US controls it.

It doesn't take much time or effort to register a new domain.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: