Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 02:50:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: H81 MB - Which molex cable ?  (Read 149 times)
RomainB (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 11:45:17 AM

Hello

I'm planning to buy a H81 MotherBoard to start mining but I read that we need to connect the 2 molex connector to the power supply if we are planning to have at least 2 GPus.

I would know what is of cable I have to use to connect the 4pin molex to a power supply ? Which reference is it ?

Regards
RomainB (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 09:11:36 PM

You can see the connector which I'm talking about :

https://zupimages.net/up/18/10/530u.png
[YAZ]

Activity: 208
Merit: 16

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 09:35:08 PM

I would know what is of cable I have to use to connect the 4pin molex to a power supply ? Which reference is it ?

I don't get it what you are trying to ask. I will try to explain with a simple explanation. Usually, PCIe 1x would be giving about 25 Watt to our cards, if only three cards, 8 Pins CPU power can handle it but if we put more than three cards, we need more power so that two Molex connector required. And you can use two Molex connectors from your PSU.
RomainB (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 09:45:58 PM

I mean the two molex connectors are included in any PSU ?
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 09:46:33 PM

I don't get it what you are trying to ask. I will try to explain with a simple explanation. Usually, PCIe 1x would be giving about 25 Watt to our cards, if only three cards, 8 Pins CPU power can handle it but if we put more than three cards, we need more power so that two Molex connector required. And you can use two Molex connectors from your PSU.

don't hook up those 4 pin floppy molex plugs, its NOT needed since the lot of us use POWERED risers, the molex plugs are for if you are using NON-powered risers, under certain conditions you can fry you gpus if you have those plugged in on the mobo, those plugs are for supplemental power to the gpus from the mobo, I have this very motherboard, I even have the older revision before r2.0 neither of which have the 4 pin molex connected to the mobo

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
RomainB (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 09:55:29 PM

Ok. Some are saying that even if we have powered risers we have to connect the 4 pin molex...

I will try your way and O hope that I will not get any trouble...
Iamtutut

Activity: 1120
Merit: 131

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 10:04:34 PM

Hello

I'm planning to buy a H81 MotherBoard to start mining but I read that we need to connect the 2 molex connector to the power supply if we are planning to have at least 2 GPus.

Regards

I bought these risers: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B073MK1QWP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For power source: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0762H6K5C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If the cables are too short: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B004UBXEHG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use a H81 MB with 3 GPUs.
Eternu

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 10:10:59 PM

Ok. Some are saying that even if we have powered risers we have to connect the 4 pin molex...

I will try your way and O hope that I will not get any trouble...

Its like CryptoWatcher420 said, as long as you are using powered risers you should be fine. But if you are not using them, in that case you should plug in that 4pin molex. I don't have that board, but I have done some research, and I can confirm that the information you got are correct.
[YAZ]

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 10:24:28 PM

I mean the two molex connectors are included in any PSU ?

Yeah

don't hook up those 4 pin floppy molex plugs, its NOT needed since the lot of us use POWERED risers, the molex plugs are for if you are using NON-powered risers, under certain conditions you can fry you gpus if you have those plugged in on the mobo, those plugs are for supplemental power to the gpus from the mobo, I have this very motherboard, I even have the older revision before r2.0 neither of which have the 4 pin molex connected to the mobo

I use it and seems still safe until now. I just assume that Molex power would load on full only if needed (those Molex only pluged, didn't means would overloading a power). The card will only draw as much current as it needs.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 10:35:13 PM

If you are going to be running powered USB risers than you do not need to use the extra power connectors to the motherboard. Those extra connectors are for cases when users are going to use non-powered ribbon type PCIe extension cables to run the GPUs off of, so then yes the power will need to come from the motherboard. Using the powered USB risers negates this need as the GPU draws the power instead from the riser board.

Even if you use the one full size slot directly to power one GPU you are ok without using them as there is plenty of power from the normal power connectors for one GPU and the motherboard/CPU components. With all that said, it also does not hurt to use the extra connectors if you have the cables to spare. I run several of these boards and all the GPUS are using powered USB risers so I do not bother with the on-board 4-pin molex connectors and everything has been working fine for the past 12+ months.
[YAZ]

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 10:49:30 PM

If you are going to be running powered USB risers than you do not need to use the extra power connectors to the motherboard. Those extra connectors are for cases when users are going to use non-powered ribbon type PCIe extension cables to run the GPUs off of, so then yes the power will need to come from the motherboard. Using the powered USB risers negates this need as the GPU draws the power instead from the riser board.

Even if you use the one full size slot directly to power one GPU you are ok without using them as there is plenty of power from the normal power connectors for one GPU and the motherboard/CPU components. With all that said, it also does not hurt to use the extra connectors if you have the cables to spare. I run several of these boards and all the GPUS are using powered USB risers so I do not bother with the on-board 4-pin molex connectors and everything has been working fine for the past 12+ months.

That's right. You are the man! I'm just trying to spoke in a general view, I mean I didn't talk about RX series or may some GTX with lower power consumption. How's if we are talking about a monster, R9 390 or may R9 295X2. That's what I mean.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: