Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:32:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I've started an english language improvement thread  (Read 593 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 02:03:00 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2018, 06:29:08 PM by Jet Cash
Merited by malevolent (1)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3081595

I thought that rather than constantly criticising members who need to improve their english skills, we might provide a thread to give a bit of advice to those who genuinely want to improve their posting. I posted it on the beginners board, if that is the wrong place, then please could a mod move it to a more suitable board.

I would also like some help in this project, and any of you guys who have english as a first language are welcome to pitch in.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cobalt9317
Copper Member

Activity: 434
Merit: 278

Offering Escrow 0.5 % fee

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 03:02:00 PM

My main language is primarily not English.

Furthermore upon investigation to your thread it was a self-moderate one, additionally you specifically said in that thread we could somehow contribute if English is our first language.

Should I dive in to contribute to your thread? or You will only allowed a person whose first language is English to advice someone or ask a question?

P.S Enlighten me with this one.
it piques my interest to help anyone whose genuinely seeking to improve themselves.
Dertcoin

Activity: 39
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 03:08:28 PM
Merited by uslfd (1)

What kind of bs is this?Huh I'm so mad at bitcointalk's bigotry.

You're talking about anonymity and decentralization, but you're trying to centralize btc as an English-major coin!

Bitcoin is international, and it should be global. Making a big fuss about English skills and acting like bitcoin is only in English demeans the effort to get bitcoin trusted worldwide,

Bitcoin doesn't need a language barrier on top of all its other current barriers.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 03:19:23 PM

You're talking about anonymity and decentralization, but you're trying to centralize btc as an English-major coin!

Bitcoin is international, and it should be global. Making a big fuss about English skills and acting like bitcoin is only in English demeans the effort to get bitcoin trusted worldwide,

Bitcoin doesn't need a language barrier on top of all its other current barriers.

This is an english language forum ( note the small "E" ), and many new members are being trashed because of their english skills, I just thought that I could try to help them and the forum. Of course Bitcoin isglobal, and the financial lingua franca is english, so it makes sense for the major focus of the board to be in english. Your rant at me doesn't help anything, why don't you rant at the people who trash the struggling posters rather than those who are trying to help.

How does the use of english mean that Bitcoin is no longer decentralised. Maybe you should try to get HTML converted to a multi-lingual script. It's emphasis on American obviously disadvantages non-english speakers.

Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
Cobalt9317
Copper Member

Activity: 434
Merit: 278

Offering Escrow 0.5 % fee

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 03:24:18 PM

Your response is nonsense if you carefully read the O.P you will not post/comment on a whim.
He doesn't making a big fuss or stating that Bitcoin is only for English speaker.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 03:30:25 PM

Furthermore upon investigation to your thread it was a self-moderate one, additionally you specifically said in that thread we could somehow contribute if English is our first language.

Should I dive in to contribute to your thread? or You will only allowed a person whose first language is English to advice someone or ask a question?

it piques my interest to help anyone whose genuinely seeking to improve themselves.

Thank you for your interest, and your case presents the difficulty that I thought I would have. I'm English, and of retirement age, so many modern phrases jar on the reading. You obviously have an extremely good command of english, but I am old enough to use "advice" as a noun, and "advise" as the verb, however this is not the American use of the words. As was pointed out in the rant above, Bitcoin is international, and therefore we should dopt modern Internet terminology ( much as it irks me to say that Smiley ).

This is a pretty long winded way of saying that I think your contribution would be useful, if only to moderate my possibly archaic views. What I hoped was that the thread could turn into discussions about members posts, and not just a number of didactic posts that replicated many other threads.

BTCeminjas

Activity: 322
Merit: 23

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 03:45:36 PM

Nice idea mate, instead of criticising for those not English speakers or let say English is not their native language just like me I admit my self that it takes 15-30 minutes before I reply and post the topic. I'm not from the U.S or those countries that their main languages are English. I think this really helps those people here that hard to speak English on how to write grammatically very well.

I'm glad to see this thread that helping our community here to improve more the globally used skill language.
It really helps us, I always keep my eyes open on your thread mate thanks.
coin5haker

Activity: 350
Merit: 16

~bitcoin enthusiast~

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 03:47:04 PM

I would suggest using Grammarly extension for Chrome. Even free version is great, I can imagine that paid one is much better. So much better than Google's own spell checker, which is useless. It won't make you native speaker but certainly improves spelling skills and can catch typos pretty well. Not an advert, I just like it so much so don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 03:49:49 PM

I would suggest using Grammarly extension for Chrome. Even free version is great, I can imagine that paid one is much better. So much better than Google's own spell checker, which is useless. It won't make you native speaker but certainly improves spelling skills and can catch typos pretty well. Not an advert, I just like it so much so don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

But not for that thread. I hope that we can improve members personal skills.

Dertcoin

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 04:22:17 PM

Thank you for your interest, and your case presents the difficulty that I thought I would have. I'm English, and of retirement age, so many modern phrases jar on the reading. You obviously have an extremely good command of english, but I am old enough to use "advice" as a noun, and "advise" as the verb, however this is not the American use of the words. As was pointed out in the rant above, Bitcoin is international, and therefore we should dopt modern Internet terminology ( much as it irks me to say that Smiley ).

This is a pretty long winded way of saying that I think your contribution would be useful, if only to moderate my possibly archaic views. What I hoped was that the thread could turn into discussions about members posts, and not just a number of didactic posts that replicated many other threads.

No, actually in America no one says "I advice you " so your command of the English lang is not perfect either!

Advice is the noun but Advize or Advise is the verb.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 04:32:49 PM

No, actually in America no one says "I advice you " so your command of the English lang is not perfect either!

Advice is the noun but Advize or Advise is the verb.

Isn't that what I said? Also, I refer you to most posts where "advice" is used as the verb.

I'm starting to regret that I ever started this project. It is creating so much negativity. It's not getting much support on the beginners board either. Does anyone want to take it over, because I'm getting a bit p'd off. There's whinging and moaning about post quality all over the forum, and when I try to do something to improve the situation, all I get is obstructionism, and attacks.

Dertcoin

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 04:32:59 PM

Your response is nonsense if you carefully read the O.P you will not post/comment on a whim.
He doesn't making a big fuss or stating that Bitcoin is only for English speaker.

No, it's not just about OP. It's this forum in general. Everyone so touchy about English. I'm on many forums but this is the only one that gives me grief about English.

It extends further to making people think that btc is in English... and don't try to tell me you don't feel the same vibe.
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 04:36:56 PM

You should be grateful someone cares enough for the community to fix those who doesn't have an "ok" English Roll Eyes
and he's talking about BTCtalk, not Bitcoin.

English are my second language so I don't think I would be able to help you, but I would suggest for those of you who still doesn't understand English decently to read or watch Kids Movie, Nick.Jr has a wide range of Kids Movie for examples. Kids Book or Movies tend to use Basic English for their show, both in Grammar and Vocabulary, it should be a great stepping stones.
I personally used this method to Learn Japanese for Basic Kanji and it worked quite well Smiley
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 04:40:38 PM

This is an english language forum to talk about Bitcoin. The main boards are in english, and if you can't post in halfway decent english, then stay in the local language area. If you joined a French language forum, you wouldn't expect to be able post in Chinese. The real problem is that a garbled mix of words pollutes a thread, and make it difficult to read. Please have some respect for the people here who want to use and discuss about Bitcoin, and who don't want to have to wade through a load of off topic unintelligible rubbish.

TMAN
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 05:17:51 PM

Great idea fella. Will you also be the merit police and just reply with a standard one liner to anyone who is using google translate?

███████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 05:32:18 PM

Great idea fella. Will you also be the merit police and just reply with a standard one liner to anyone who is using google translate?

I'll probably just delete the post - that's why I made it self-moderating.

Are you going to be my rottweiler? Smiley

TMAN
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 05:50:21 PM

I'll probably just delete the post - that's why I made it self-moderating.

Are you going to be my rottweiler? Smiley

Mate I'm too rude for stuff like that, if it's in the right section and people are trying to help themselves then I'll come and spend some merits though bud

████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 06:01:09 PM

Well so far no new members have made a post, so you're probably right when you say that all we are getting are a load of pajeets. I had hoped that there were some good members who would post some samples.

Maybe they think I'm too pedantic, and perhaps I should hand the idea over to someone else. At the moment I'm getting involved with Steemit, and I want to post some videos about my new product branding site. If it's going to take a lot of time to build the thread, then I might have to resign. Smiley

Toughit

Activity: 378
Merit: 197

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 06:13:30 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2018, 09:37:19 PM by Toughit

The people that need help the most can’t read English and won’t seek your advice.

Take this example: every post he has is in Indonesian until he posted this:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3082253.0  post was deleted

Level 1 Running Pig

In this condition, feels that with a good, independent analysis, as well as being able to filter the information to make investment and trading became more profitable and growing. However, the disease themselves appear on this stage, does it?We become greedy and likes to sit in a train because it drove quickly without want to know how the rate of speed limit.
When a trader buys a coin from $1000 and be $3000, tripling felt so small and start to forget the law level 1 can be an easy target. He will always try to seek out the latest record-breaking targets for many times. Especially if you guys already dared to borrow money, Wow it's already time to sit silent meditation in advance

Level 2 Hunting Fox

I have no idea what he is trying to get across, and chances are he can’t read what you are posting.
It’s obvious he used a translator, but can’t read the output to judge if it was accurate.

So… if you responded in english, and he translated, it would probably come out on his end as a bunch of garbage.

If you truly wanted to help people like this you will have to recruit members that are fluent in English as well as their native language.  In this case you need someone that speaks Indonesian to talk to masbro768, and offer to proofread before he posting in English again.

Sounds like a thankless job.

I left a link to this thread.
maeusi

Activity: 462
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 06:22:27 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3081595

I thought that rather than constantly criticising members who need to imrove their english skills, we might provide a thread to give a bit of advice to those who genuinely want to improve their posting. I posted it on the beginners board, if that is the wrong place, then please could a mod move it to a more suitable board.

I would also like some help in theis project, and any of you guys who have english as a first language are welcome to pitch in.
That is a very interesting idea and helpful thread. Many thanks therefore. Are the little typing errors in title and OP and missing punctuation marks in OP here already part of the english lessons? Anyway, I am always glad and thankful  for the opportunity to improve my english.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: