Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 03:33:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I've started an english language improvement thread  (Read 596 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 06:25:01 PM

I didn't want to make this a major project, or to try to recruit transalators. I thought that it would help those members who have a basic command of english, but wanted to avoid the attacks from the merit police.

It certainly does look as if it's a thankless task, and one that is being ignored by the potential customers. I bet id I said I'd award a merit to the first 10 posters, they would all be flooding into it. Well I'm not going to. The thread isn't intended to be a merit generator, but it could help new members to get merit for improved posts in the future.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 06:28:08 PM

That is a very interesting idea and helpful thread. Many thanks therfore. Are the little typing errors in title and OP and missing punctuation marks in OP here already part of the english lessons?

Fat fingers Smiley
Thanks for pointing that out.

I confess that I have what some consider to be a creative approach to punctuation. ( and a sticky keyboard).

Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
maeusi

Activity: 462
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 07:19:35 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2018, 07:36:30 PM by maeusi

That is a very interesting idea and helpful thread. Many thanks therfore. Are the little typing errors in title and OP and missing punctuation marks in OP here already part of the english lessons?

Fat fingers Smiley
Thanks for pointing that out.

I confess that I have what some consider to be a creative approach to punctuation. ( and a sticky keyboard).
That is also my problem on mobile device. Smiley And strange autocorrection and still learning english.
But I really appreciate your helpful threads.
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 07:52:13 PM

Great idea, Jet Cash, I think this will be a valuable resource for the newest members among us. I look forward to participating, if it's appropriate.

Second, any American using the the word "advise" as a noun skipped the class that taught them correctly in grammar school. It is not an American thing to omit the word "Advice" from its proper use...it's (perhaps) an english as a second language thing, because the nuance of those words is too detailed for some to grasp early on.

but I am old enough to use "advice" as a noun, and "advise" as the verb, however this is not the American use of the words.

Jet Cash, your advice has always been valuable and I look forward to watching you advise others on how to improve their language skills for this forum. Keep it up!
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 07:59:25 PM

Well I'm not getting any takers, and this has surprised me given the heavy complaining that has been going on about new and junior members being ignored for merit.

Horses, water and drinking spring to mind. Smiley

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 11:18:25 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2018, 11:30:09 PM by Welsh

Please don't give advice about the structure and content of a post if english isn't your first language.
I guess I won't be able to help due to English not being my first language either, although you should probably change that to people who are fluent in English. It's probably just better to send anyone with bad English to an actual resource which is fleshed out on the internet though.

English is probably the easiest in terms of accessibility online, and there's some real good sources out there which are free of charge. I believe the BBC even offers English courses.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 07:20:55 AM

Please don't give advice about the structure and content of a post if english isn't your first language.
I guess I won't be able to help due to English not being my first language either, although you should probably change that to people who are fluent in English. It's probably just better to send anyone with bad English to an actual resource which is fleshed out on the internet though.

English is probably the easiest in terms of accessibility online, and there's some real good sources out there which are free of charge. I believe the BBC even offers English courses.

There doesn't seem to be too much wrong with your English, and I'd be grateful for your help with that project. I'm trying to start my health and debt reduction project at the moment, and I'm having to learn the intricacies of Steemit as I'm not very politically correct. Smiley I'm not sure how much time I can continue to give to it.

TMAN
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 08:02:02 AM

I assumed you are Welsh, so I suppose that does mean that you aren't really English!

███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 09:00:57 AM

I assumed you are Welsh, so I suppose that does mean that you aren't really English!

You are entering dangerous waters there. Smiley

I was born in England ( Surrey ), and my parents were also born in England, and they were married before I was born. However, it is considered racist for me to call myself English, although the Welsh, Scots, Irish, Cornish and many other regions are allowed to be proud of their heritage. British is such a debased term these days, that I try not to use it.

Lumi3004

Activity: 462
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 09:39:18 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3081595

I thought that rather than constantly criticising members who need to improve their english skills, we might provide a thread to give a bit of advice to those who genuinely want to improve their posting. I posted it on the beginners board, if that is the wrong place, then please could a mod move it to a more suitable board.

I would also like some help in this project, and any of you guys who have english as a first language are welcome to pitch in.
This is a good opinion jet, because in this world is in priority english, well if applied in trean english is better. Because almost everyone in this world can speak english depends on the person's way of speaking. Thank you for notices about the English language so that people in this world more familiar with English in everyday life is not here alone. To be more fluent in the language
jerick06

Activity: 180
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 10:23:11 AM

I've posted a topic here in the forum with a minimal grammatical errors and some users began to correct my english in a harsh way. You know, english is not my major language but i think it is not right to say inappropriate words like i've posted a nonsense topic because of my LITTLE grammatical errors. And please dont degrade the new members for just posting topics with wrong english.

SCAVO.FARM (https://scavo.farm) SELF-SUSTAINING CRYPTO MINING FARM  BY USING RENEWABLE
Olrac

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 11:10:14 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3081595

I thought that rather than constantly criticising members who need to improve their english skills, we might provide a thread to give a bit of advice to those who genuinely want to improve their posting. I posted it on the beginners board, if that is the wrong place, then please could a mod move it to a more suitable board.

I would also like some help in this project, and any of you guys who have english as a first language are welcome to pitch in.

That's a good idea mate, I also notice several posts written in Thai and different languages posted in English thread. I don't understand how could someone post other languages in a purely English thread or board when it's one of the rule of this forum?? It's very basic, if you see a thread in english, then it's a must to post in english lang as well for you to be understood.

I found this link with basic english grammar that could help others and please don't take this negatively: http://www.talkenglish.com/grammar/grammar.aspx

This has no relation to bitcoin being decentralised whatsoever. This is something about the forum itself, everyone here has the right to express their own opinion and insights in a way that each of us could understand. If someone speaks French then she/he can post in french section same goes to other local boards. Everyone was given respect here, there's no discrimination or any negative impression about our languages.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 11:21:23 AM

I've posted a topic here in the forum with a minimal grammatical errors and some users began to correct my english in a harsh way. You know, english is not my major language but i think it is not right to say inappropriate words like i've posted a nonsense topic because of my LITTLE grammatical errors. And please dont degrade the new members for just posting topics with wrong english.

It's really becoming quite a problem. I'm a member of several forums ( fora if one is a purist Smiley ), and I need to speed read  the threads that are potentially interesting. This involves recognising phrases rather than just single words or letters, and an unusual construction means one has to stop and analyse the potential meaning. One learns to recognise variations that are popular on the Internet, although the current fashion of dropping the negative in posts by some Americans stills throws me a bit.

You post is easy to scan and understand, and I wouldn't dream of criticising it in an international forum. I started the thread for selfish reasons really. I hoped that I could encourage posters to submit content that I can speed read. I'm also against the fancy formatting that is so beloved by the spammers who just want to post somebody else's opinion, and to pretend that it is their own.

I've become a lot more relaxed since I've started to put some posters on ignore, and there are a couple in this thread. This is why I haven't replied to them. Smiley

Hexah

Activity: 728
Merit: 265

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 11:34:13 AM

This kind of thread are valuable cause it help the forum and people who needs it too, (add me as one, not that good at all) nice idea by Jet Cash. I like sharing ideas because not all has the monopoly of knowledge, especially grammar and usage of English in posting or in verbal circumstances.
Cobalt9317
Copper Member

Activity: 434
Merit: 278

Offering Escrow 0.5 % fee

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 11:35:45 AM

It seems to be that this thread is more appealing than the stated thread Jet Cash announced.

I don't have a proper lesson about advice as a noun and advise as a verb, it is just my personal knowledge and I concluded for a very long time that advise and advice is just similar and doesn't differ from itself. and I personally thanks Jet cash for pulling me out of that insatiable bliss.

P.S And I just want to add up, could you somehow add in your thread how to use figure of speech.

Somehow I don't understand TMAN, act, nullius, you, and other member when they are utilizing unfamiliar phrases/words regarding figure of speech. they are using term that is not well known in general knowledge. (e.g: Horses, water and drinking spring to mind.) but when I googled the phrase it is quite understandable only for an individual who also know the story behind the phrase.

Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 12:04:56 PM

P.S And I just want to add up, could you somehow add in your thread how to use figure of speech.

Somehow I don't understand TMAN, act, nullius, you, and other member when they are utilizing unfamiliar phrases/words regarding figure of speech. they are using term that is not well known in general knowledge. (e.g: Horses, water and drinking spring to mind.) but when I googled the phrase it is quite understandable only for an individual who also know the story behind the phrase.

Sorry about that, I posted it without thinking.

I don't think it would be possible to compile  list as they are country specific, nd some have long forgotten historic associations.

For example " pull the wool over your eyes" goes back to the days of highwaymen, and it describes the last action of the robber before he rides off. He would reach over and pull the gentleman victim's wig over his eyes. This gave him a precious few seconds before the victim could pull out his pistol, and aim it.

"let the cat out of the bag" comes from the old days of livestock sales in markets. A buyer would choose a piglet, and the seller would put it into a sack for ease of transportation. The seller would secretly switch the sack for one contining a feral cat. If he didn't keep the neck of the sack closed, then the cat could escape. "Don't buy a pig in a poke" is a realted expression - poke was an old word for a sack.

Cobalt9317
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 01:33:18 PM

Sorry about that, I posted it without thinking.

I don't think it would be possible to compile  list as they are country specific, nd some have long forgotten historic associations.

For example " pull the wool over your eyes" goes back to the days of highwaymen, and it describes the last action of the robber before he rides off. He would reach over and pull the gentleman victim's wig over his eyes. This gave him a precious few seconds before the victim could pull out his pistol, and aim it.

"let the cat out of the bag" comes from the old days of livestock sales in markets. A buyer would choose a piglet, and the seller would put it into a sack for ease of transportation. The seller would secretly switch the sack for one contining a feral cat. If he didn't keep the neck of the sack closed, then the cat could escape. "Don't buy a pig in a poke" is a realted expression - poke was an old word for a sack.

:-D For a better communication/conversation we need to at least use known/general idiomatic/Figure of speech.

Nevertheless I've learned another historical term I can use in speculation/trading. especially let the cat out of the bag.
So I think generally speaking if someone really want to improve in English language he/she needs to pull the wool over their eyes when they only come here from knowing that a free pig in a poke is available here while only posting, and before they knew the cat get out from the bag.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 02:04:04 PM

You have to be careful with cats and bags though. "The cat is out of the bag" is a nautical term, and it refers to the cat'o'nine tails, and this was used as a fairly severe punishment on the old sailing ships. Miscreants could get 100 or so lashes. The phrase comes from the fact that the punishment "cat" was kept in a bad, and just before the punishment was read out, the cat was removed from the bag.

"I don't give a dam" is another interesting one, and "dam" is spelt correctly. The dam was the smallest coin in the days of the Indian Raj.

Cobalt9317
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 05:52:55 PM

You have to be careful with cats and bags though. "The cat is out of the bag" is a nautical term, and it refers to the cat'o'nine tails, and this was used as a fairly severe punishment on the old sailing ships. Miscreants could get 100 or so lashes. The phrase comes from the fact that the punishment "cat" was kept in a bad, and just before the punishment was read out, the cat was removed from the bag.

"I don't give a dam" is another interesting one, and "dam" is spelt correctly. The dam was the smallest coin in the days of the Indian Raj.
Nice add up about the 'cat' I will also try to read the book and grasp more details.
The only thing I know about India is they have a fiat currency called 'Rupee' I discover that fact when I played Zelda game. seems a little bit Off-Topic.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2018, 06:13:02 PM

From Wikipedia
A Dam was a small Indian copper coin. The coin was first introduced by Sher Shah Suri during his rule of India between 1540 and 1545, along with Mohur, the gold coin and Rupiya the silver coin[1] Later on, the Mughal Emperors standardised the coin along with other silver (Rupiya) and gold (Mohur) coins in order to consolidate the monetary system across India.

It is believed that this coin is one of the possible sources for the English phrase “I don't give a dam[n]″, due to its small worth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dam_(Indian_coin)

Now, wait for someine to create a DamCoin. Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: