Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:08:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ultimate Bitcoin Mashup  (Read 2343 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 03:24:49 AM

<Started thread here under innovations.>

First mentioned here, but believe this community would offer up better input, along with gaining more traction. There's more than enough time to bring this idea to fruition, albeit it's best to get started ASAP.

I was restricted on Reddit due to not being able to embed images of which this endeavor needs to help visualize the idea.

Imagine, if you will, taking the following concept to another level...

First Bitcoin Vending Machine

By taking one of these...

Antique Coke Machine

Retrofitted by these guys...

Rick's Restoration

Showcasing the process on...

American Restoration

Aired on...

The History Channel

To be completed just in time for...

CES2014

The retro Coke machine will be Bitcoin accepted only and disperse only one 8 oz product...

8 oz Glass Coca Cola Bottles Only

After serving its purpose at CES2014, the Coca Cola Bitcoin machine will be on permanent display at...

From BitPay's CES booth to their Atlanta Office

Bitpay's main office is in Atlanta, home of...

The World of Coca-Cola, is a permanent exhibition featuring the history of The Coca-Cola Company in Atlanta, GA.

The following is copied and pasted from my Reddit post, of which I may have taken the liberty and edited.

American Restoration is an American reality television series airing on the History channel and is located in Las Vegas, Nevada. I'm pretty sure that Rick's Restoration has never built/restored anything that would/could be displayed at CES since all their restorations are mainly of the vintage type, and I'm gambling (no pun intended) that they (Rick's Restoration and the History Channel) would simply love to have that unique exposure.

In case those reading this far is at a lost as to what the final result would be, in a nutshell, BitPay would commission Rick's Restoration of American Restoration to take the oldest (vintage) Coca Cola machine they have at their facility and convert it to a Bitcoin accepted only vending machine that disperses 8oz glass bottles of Coke, since the 6oz are no longer produced.

The order would be placed, and the cameras would start rollin' about two weeks prior to CES2014, whereupon the end result is hand delivered by Rick Dale's 1951 Ford F-100 "Signature Truck" onto the CES floor where even more cameras are a rollin'.

During the restoration process, an LV Bitcoiner with a smartphone could be on hand to help with the filmware and, moreover, making sure it work, that's if the filmware isn't supplied via the internet and RR opts to not use their own smartphone for the occasion when the time comes.

BitPay principals wouldn't see the Bitcoin accepted only vintage Coke machine until it's delivered to their CES booth.

Here's the beautiful part of the entire endeavor. It's not outside the realm of possibility to sell enough Cokes via bitcoins at a buck a piece to probably pay for the booth spot, especially since the bottles can be purchased at Sam's Club fairly cheaply. Bear in mind that BitPay is in no way selling beverages to compete with the official beverage vendors, but is showcasing a concept of which a product is dispersed, not meant to be opened and consumed while on the CES floor. A special sticker affixed to each bottle would be prudent, thus making each bottle a collector's item of sorts.

I'm fully aware that BitPay is not in the Bitcoin vending business, but somehow the stretch could be achieved.

I'm guessing that the actual cost would be in the 3-5K range (EDIT: May be higher due to the price of the machine prior to the restoration cost, but still feel it's well worth it), but considering where it's going to be used full time once the show ends, it WILL pay for itself many times over.

I'm sure all can see how this would be beneficial for all concerns.

Discuss.

American Restoration : Most Unique Item http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_-_5OaaD-4

Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 03:28:03 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2013, 05:12:20 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Timeline:

• Oct. 6, 2013: Idea first conceived and presented on Reddit.
  • Oct. 8, 2013: Idea presented on BitcoinTalk (this thread).
  • This week: Call BitPay to see if they're on board and, if so, the following steps.
  • This week: Call Rick's Restoration to see what they have in their "boneyard".
  • 3rd quarter Dec., 2013/1st quarter Jan., 2014: Rick's Restoration is working overtime through Christmas and New Year to have their first ever retro readied for CES, probably the only time they've ever have the opportunity to be showcased there.
  • Tuesday, Jan. 7, 2014, at the 11th hour: Rick Dale delivers just in time off the back of his black 1951 Ford F-100 "Signature Truck" with the History Channel film crew a rollin'.
  • Tuesday, Jan. 7, 2014 at 10 AM: Like a horde of locust, geeks and media swarm over to BitPay's CES booth to view and interact with the first ever Bitcoin Accepted Only antique Cola-Cola Machine that disperses only 8 oz glass bottles of this iconic beverage.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 03:46:41 AM

That's fine and dandy, but I'm talkin' about 2.5M viewers on the first airing, with only slightly less for the second airing on the same day, not counting rerun viewership.

I'm talkin' best of show at CES2014.

I'm talkin' Rick's Restoration dedicating a portion of their facility for all the orders coming in for other Bitcoin retros, like...

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 04:12:00 AM

Anticipated crowd at BitPay's CES2014 booth to experience firsthand the first ever Bitcoin Accepted Only antique Cola-Cola machine

Oppose to last year's crowd to see...

Unless you combine the two ideas, but I don't see Bitcoin gaining much milage via...

qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:15:29 PM

Unless you combine the two ideas, but I don't see Bitcoin gaining much milage via...

Cheesy

But where's the box?

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 04:41:54 PM

I'm seriously looking for feedback on this endeavor whether expressing it's a stupid or promising idea.

Sure, Coca-Cola isn't synonymous with Bitcoin, but it is synonymous with Atlanta, and BitPay is synonymous with Atlanta. Down the road when investors/concerns visit BitPay's office they'll be immediately greeted with the Bitcoin Accepted Only antique Coca-Cola Machine.

We already know the following is possible, but I'm talkin' Purple Cow.

WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT THE COW:

"In his book Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable, Seth Godin says that the key to success is to find a way to stand out--to be the purple cow in a field of monochrome Holsteins. Godin himself may be the best example of how this theory works: The marketing expert is a demigod on the Web, a best-selling author, highly sought after lecturer, successful entrepreneur, respected pundit and high-profile blogger. He is uniquely respected for his understanding of the Internet, and his essays and opinions are widely read and quoted online and off."

Forbes.com

Nobody would expect to see a purple cow antique Coca-Cola Machine on the floor of CES21014, let alone one converted to accept only Bitcoin built by Rick's Restoration of American Restoration that just happens to have 2.5M viewers on the History Channel.
RoadToHell

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:45:34 PM

I think it is an excellent idea!  American Restoration also benefits as this will draw viewers from outside their normal audience.  I'm not talking bitcoin addicts.  Techies and makers of many stripes would get a kick out of seeing it done.

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 04:50:55 PM

I think it is an excellent idea!  American Restoration also benefits as this will draw viewers from outside their normal audience.  I'm not talking bitcoin addicts.  Techies and makers of many stripes would get a kick out of seeing it done.

Exactly, and as I've already mention, The History Channel get's further exposure by having a presence, of sorts, at CES in Las Vegas.

Hell, how do we know that The History Channel isn't already producing a future show about MONEY, and this would be a perfect tie-in for them.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 05:04:15 PM

The refrigeration aspect doesn't even need to be turned on, only dispensing room temperature glass bottles since it's not meant for consumption on the CES floor, so that there's no conflict of interest with the beverage vendors.

I'm guessing that BitPay would have to dole out about $4,000 to reach 2.5M people when the episode first airs, then a little more than another 2M two hours later when it reruns on the History Channel, not counting future reruns, YouTube views, CES exposure, etc.

Unless I'm mistaken, not a single concern loses with this endeavor, all the way down to the average Bitcoiner. I could break it down to show how The History Channel, Rick's Restoration, American Restoration, BitPay, et al, all benefit but, sans that effort, I'm sure it's clearly evident such action is not needed.

Hell, even the nondescript booth(s) adjacent to BitPay's booth would benefit from the overflow crowd.
jeffhuys

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 05:17:03 PM

Nice concept.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 07:01:34 PM

I'm about to call Rick's and see what's available in their boneyard.
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 07:14:42 PM

Realizing this would be a great PR stunt for Bitcion (and BitPay). Making it happen requires a lot of work and dedication, both of which Phin has demonstrated several times.
Tony, this is next to free marketing  Wink

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 08:19:39 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2013, 09:02:13 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Realizing this would be a great PR stunt for Bitcion (and BitPay). Making it happen requires a lot of work and dedication, both of which Phin has demonstrated several times.
Tony, this is next to free marketing  Wink

Thanks, Jan.

I just got off the phone to speaking with one gentleman and he was kind enough to give me Brettly's number of which I will try to contact him after his lunch hour, being that LV is two hours behind of where I'm located (CST).
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 09:42:17 PM

Brettley's mailbox is full, so I guess I need to get this ball a rollin' via email through Rick's Restoration's site.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 01:00:28 AM

I'm somewhat surprised I haven't received a reply yet, for the email I sent was in the form of inquiring about a certain model they have for sale on their site, sans any accompanied text. I did received an auto reply shortly after submission, and will use that to continue/start the dialog if I don't hear back from them tomorrow.

Plan B is sending Tuxavant to pay them a visit.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 04:50:16 PM

Brettley's voice mailbox is still full and no reply yet via contact via Rick's Restoration site of which only consisted of one of their Coca-Cola vending machines they have for sale sans any accompanied text.

Looks like I may have to use Tuxavant.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 05:24:05 PM

thats a nice idea and would be a great promotion for BTC and bitpay.  Smiley

razibuzouzou

Activity: 354
Merit: 251

coinorama.net

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 05:31:44 PM

Fantastic idea !
Even if you don't get Rick's Restoration involved, I am sure it can be succesful. Did you get any feedback from BitPay ?
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 05:51:18 PM

Brettley's voice mailbox is still full and no reply yet via contact via Rick's Restoration site of which only consisted of one of their Coca-Cola vending machines they have for sale sans any accompanied text.

Looks like I may have to use Tuxavant.
Jan dodges while Phinnaeus deploys the Tuxavant  Grin

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 08:20:08 PM

http://www.cesweb.org/FAQ/FAQs-by-Venue/Las-Vegas-Convention-Center.aspx#jumpto5

Can I sell my products in my booth?

No. CES policy strictly prohibits over-the-counter sales (i.e.: cash, check or credit card). Only bona fide business orders for future billing, payment and delivery are permitted. CES will close down booths in violation of this regulation.

Cry Cry Cry

There goes my bright idea!

There's probably a slight chance to circumnavigate this clause, but with everything else this endeavor would have curtailed, coupled with BitPay already have a lot on their plate, why add even another layer of uncertainty?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: