Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:56:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your favorite add-on card? (Excluding GPU!)  (Read 1321 times)
st4rdust (OP)

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:28:50 PM

Aside from the PCIe x16 slots that we all keep our super extreme graphics cards in, what is the best use that you have found for your other available slots? This includes plain old PCI, PCIe x1, x2, x4, x8 and also PCI-X (eXtended).

Adding USB3.0 functionality to my mobo has been a good experience. Single-lane PCIe bandwidth facilitates the speed of the new USB standard.

I'm interested to see what gets posted here. PCIe x16 for graphics receives the overwhelming share of attention but the other types of slots can be just as handy.

If you should choose to pity me -14GLjCUE7ohxRLvwZD2sfjKjf22Lt3UHip

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Miner99er

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 09:15:24 AM

Honestly... the last time I talked about filling odd slots my wife gave me one of the meanest looks I've ever got.

Bought From Yochdogx2, Alexmat, SgtSpike, David_Benz, Beaflag VonRathburg, Slaveindebt, Cptmooseinc, Coinhoarder

Donations? SURE! 16foPr8FAjYXKL8ApQAzihnigXm1qNhi8Q

http://pyramining.com/referral/yfab9med7   
http://pyramining.com/referral/ahmc7en6z
http://pyramining.com/referral/pagndq4xc   
http://pyramining.com/referral/79b2gmrzx
http://pyramining.com/referral/e2ghz4asy
KKAtan

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 09:27:07 AM

None.

That's why I'm leaning towards micro ATX and other even smaller motherboards nowadays, and would have completely dropped the full sized ATX boards if not for Bitcoin.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 01:09:32 PM

Up until netflix came into being I would have said tv tuner.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
geckogroove

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 02:16:45 PM

Aside from the PCIe x16 slots that we all keep our super extreme graphics cards in, what is the best use that you have found for your other available slots? This includes plain old PCI, PCIe x1, x2, x4, x8 and also PCI-X (eXtended).

Adding USB3.0 functionality to my mobo has been a good experience. Single-lane PCIe bandwidth facilitates the speed of the new USB standard.

I'm interested to see what gets posted here. PCIe x16 for graphics receives the overwhelming share of attention but the other types of slots can be just as handy.

card reader (memory cards) and wifi connector
Pipesnake
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 09:20:53 PM

Up until netflix came into being I would have said tv tuner.
Definitely tv tuner but now I use HDHomerun which is external so....

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
shotgun

Activity: 98
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 10:29:17 PM

RAID controllers!

<luke-jr> Catholics do not believe in freedom of religion.
Pentium100

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 01:05:52 AM

SCSI controllers. On almost all of my PCs I use at least one SCSI hard drive, so I need controllers. My main PC though has dual channel SCSI integrated to the motherboard. I also use a sound card on my main PC and a TV tuner.
I now bought a PCMCIA-PCI card so I can use my PCMCIA 3G modem so I can put my mining PC in the basement (until I can a network cable there).

1GStzEi48CnQN6DgR1s3uAzB8ucuwdcvig
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3522

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 06:30:05 AM

game and HTPC computers: audio card. miners/folder/general purpose rigs: nothing.

rograz

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 11:58:13 AM

back in the PCI days I used to fill them all with old network cards. Not sure why really, those slots just looked to empty I guess Sad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: