Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:38:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where did AltMiner.net go?  (Read 209 times)
t3hpwnographer (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 04:03:52 PM

I've been mining on altminer.net for a couple months now and never had any problems. Today however I noticed my miners couldn't connect and when I went to check my balance I got a "This site can't be reached" error. It looks like their Twitter, @altminer_net, has also been deleted. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Looks like their BCT profile was active earlier today too, but no posts since March 1st.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
yrk1957

Activity: 529
Merit: 29

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 07:13:31 PM

I've been mining on altminer.net for a couple months now and never had any problems. Today however I noticed my miners couldn't connect and when I went to check my balance I got a "This site can't be reached" error. It looks like their Twitter, @altminer_net, has also been deleted. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Looks like their BCT profile was active earlier today too, but no posts since March 1st.

https://www.reddit.com/r/altcoinmining/comments/82mr1d/altminernet_gone/

t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 08:10:18 PM

Interesting. Looks like someone posted a link to a paste that's supposedly from AltMiner (though not sure that can be confirmed):

Well, yeah - we're down. Not hacked, on complete own purpose.
=======================================================================
This was a test project. We wanted to learn new stuff, get known to new people and just wanted to see where it goes. We have our reason for the shutdown - there is still a life outside of crypto guys!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
What did we learn?

* Trust no one ;-)

* MOST mining pool operators are to dump to run a pool. If you want a reliable pool operated by persons who know what they do switch over to yiimp, zpool or unimining. Pickle Rick. All others are crap, indeed most of them were trained by us & redirected all their questions to us!

* If a pool offers much less then 1% fee -> SCAM! Servers cost money. Transactions cost money. Operating costs money. Just calculate if it is better to have a 0.1% lower fee - or a stable pool. If you miss one hour of mining on a pool with 0.1% lower fee you will loose 5% of your income! Only because you cared about 0.1%?!

* Miners are greedy and don't notice if anybody scams them. Proof?
  - Some "random" ^_^ pool: https://chainz.cryptoid.info/lux/address.dws?LL6vvQxQSTjp5d1Yf4NT2Lfwf6qyBKngdD.htm
  - Total received 64619 LUX
  - With 1% fee (this pool had lower fee then 1%) this should make around 646 LUX on fees.
  - Guess what? ONE(!) of their topia addresses is in this transaction https://chainz.cryptoid.info/lux/tx.dws?356941.htm
  - And whoops, this topia address has already received 1030 LUX?
  - Of course, they will now argue "it is because we are mining to this address etc...". Just look at the transaction, you notice fairly quick which are mining and which are other transactions. Have fun finding their other cryptopia addresses - there are more.
  - Next proof: https://imagebin.ca/v/3u2xyW4KQpNB
  - Yep, orange balance goes down without blue balance going up... This miner lost 7 GBX. For sure they will now tell "we have compensated him etc...". Miners, look at your graphs and understand how this stuff works! Don't get scammed by people who don't understand how to run a pool.

Real hugs fly out to the following persons who are _really_ fair-minded:
- Antonio Moratti
- oliveskin
- phm
- tpruvot
- hewwo
- whywefight
- zpool

Wait for it. We will be back.
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 06:48:30 PM

Damn, altminer.net was one of my favorite pools... It was even better for mining Trezarcoin than the official TZC pool!?!

billd104

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 06:40:30 PM

So really, this is it... One of the more popular mining pools just vanishes into the night and nobody is talking about it? It's not like it's just down, it's like it never existed.  Huh Crazy times.
t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 11:13:01 PM

So really, this is it... One of the more popular mining pools just vanishes into the night and nobody is talking about it? It's not like it's just down, it's like it never existed.  Huh Crazy times.
Definitely very strange and disappointing. On the plus side, it doesn't seem like they vanished without paying a bunch of people or anything scummy like that. I got a few payouts in the hours before they went offline that were consistent with what I expected. Plus I feel like there'd be a lot more posts about it if people hadn't been getting paid.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: