Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:58:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road User Arrests begin  (Read 2716 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 07:57:27 AM

Coin desk has this article up:

http://www.coindesk.com/four-men-arrested-uk-roles-silk-road/

Looks like they will be going after the users after all.

I do feel bad for people using the site that are getting arrested. Even though I think it was very un-smart to trust SilkRoad, I do feel for the smaller time users who will probably get caught up in this. To be honest I never visited Silk Road simply because I knew it would end badly and I didn't want to be linked to it in any way.

My advice for users would be to get a lawyer now, rather then later.

more or less retired.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 08:28:01 AM

It's a badly worded report.  Vendors are SR users too.

One man in his early 50s was held in Devon and three others in their early 20s were arrested in Manchester on suspicion of supplying controlled drugs.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/silk-road-website-four-british-2351651#ixzz2hDBTUMBN

The guy in Devon ran a (legal) head shop and provided packaging materials to vendors.  The list of stuff seized from the raid on him ran to 18 pages (he posted about it on the SR forums).

To date, there've been no confirmed reports of non-vendor users being busted.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:56:58 PM

Another Report has popped up, even more people this time:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=230442617&ft=1&f=

more or less retired.
MoneyMorpheus

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 03:05:19 PM

Now people will actually listen to the hackers when they say you need to use tor and a vpn for getting near anonimity...

Also what you do with the btcs can lead directly back to you...

Best altcoin exchange: https://vircurex.com/welcome/index?referral_id=241-35101
https://bter.com/signup/121418 | You may run into issues some time, but support will take care of you threw qq in chinese hours
1EGoA5LMV391Psf8ZHShTkTd3tQ6URKQEp
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 03:07:44 PM

Now people will actually listen to the hackers when they say you need to use tor and a vpn for getting near anonimity...

The catch is the "near" part. :-)

more or less retired.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 03:18:29 PM

NSA has a back door in TOR. US government funded the dev of TOR.
just saying...

but can anyone complain about catching drug lords and child pron trafficking?

as long as they don't go ape shit and start arresting simple potheads, and people selling Bongs & pipes, i think they are doing good...

dianemajor

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 03:54:57 PM

Trust me there will be more arrest to come.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 03:57:58 PM

just saying...

as long as they don't go ape shit and start arresting simple potheads, and people selling Bongs & pipes, i think they are doing good...

NSA dont have a backdoor.. NSA have nodes.. so basically you end up having to walk through their house to get to the place you want to go.

also i dont understand why there needs to be so many new silk road threads every day.. what do you expect to happen when cops take down a drug den.. ofcourse arrests will happen,

silk road is like the red light district of london. you never see the financial times talk about every drug deal or prostitute arrest. even if they do use the beloved pound coin which financial times reports about.. so why should bitcoin be so hyped up about drug crimes..

silk road is about as news worthy to most people,.... as alpaca socks no longer accepting bitcoin... after all silk road measured at under 0.5% of all transactions..

so please take it to the silk road or drug related forums.. leave bitcoin for use legit money makers

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 04:05:47 PM

There will be many many more arrests.

alkaz

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:12:34 PM

finnaly the authorities takes action

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 04:16:31 PM

just saying...

NSA dont have a backdoor.. NSA have nodes.. so basically you end up having to walk through their house to get to the place you want to go.

also i dont understand why there needs to be so many new silk road threads every day.. what do you expect to happen when cops take down a drug den.. ofcourse arrests will happen,

silk road is like the red light district of london. you never see the financial times talk about every drug deal or prostitute arrest. even if they do use the beloved pound coin which financial times reports about.. so why should bitcoin be so hyped up about drug crimes..

silk road is about as news worthy to most people,.... as alpaca socks no longer accepting bitcoin... after all silk road measured at under 0.5% of all transactions..

so please take it to the silk road or drug related forums.. leave bitcoin for use legit money makers

dont be a fool NSA has a back door.... its their project!

vpitcher07

Activity: 342

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:21:03 PM

just saying...

If they do have a backdoor, how is it possible that no programmer in the world who has viewed the Tor source code can find it?

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1122

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:42:06 PM

It is not so much a "back door" in Tor, as an "attack on" users of Tor. 

Bruce Schneier, who has been going through the Snowden Files, explains.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/10/how_the_nsa_att.html

Short version: If you're a Tor user, you probably have an NSA rootkit on your computer.  Not because Tor put it there or because Tor is flawed, but because Tor is typically used with a browser, and browsers have insecure implementations.  Tor traffic is used to identify targets for rootkit attacks via exploits in their browsers.  These rootkit attacks are carried out via MITM systems in place on the Internet backbone where they can intercept most traffic. 

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 05:00:18 PM

It is not so much a "back door" in Tor, as an "attack on" users of Tor. 

Bruce Schneier, who has been going through the Snowden Files, explains.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/10/how_the_nsa_att.html

Short version: If you're a Tor user, you probably have an NSA rootkit on your computer.  Not because Tor put it there or because Tor is flawed, but because Tor is typically used with a browser, and browsers have insecure implementations.  Tor traffic is used to identify targets for rootkit attacks via exploits in their browsers.  These rootkit attacks are carried out via MITM systems in place on the Internet backbone where they can intercept most traffic. 

The Quantum system that runs the FoxAcid servers is best known as Cloudflare. Cheesy
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 06:37:02 PM

This always seemed inevitable to me. Aside from feeling shady about drugs in post, using a centralized entity, and using bitcoin (public ledger)... I always assume that I am not safe with Tor. I just don't have the know-how to make sure that there are no exploits. So I stay safe on the internetz...
axus

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 03:19:58 PM

Your trust rating is actually pretty low
Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 05:29:19 PM

They quote some one saying the large sellers should be very nervous.  I would hope they would've taken extra precautions, but it appears as though not all did.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 05:35:04 PM

just saying...

They don't have a back door; the leaked NSA files are clear on this.

Also, it was not a NSA project it was initially developed by the U.S. Navy to protect their communications - they would not have wanted a back door installed.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

If you have stuff sent to your physical address, and then your house is ransacked, all the TOR in the world won't do you any good.  Drugs aren't just magically transported through the wires to people's homes.  They send it through the post.
some1

Activity: 364

667 one more than the devil

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:26:23 AM

Are you a fed or just guessing?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: