Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:42:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SilkRoad Connected Arrests in the UK by NCA  (Read 5349 times)
MerchantMiner (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:43:20 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2013, 02:12:14 PM by malevolent

Four men in the UK have been arrested over their alleged roles in the online marketplace Silk Road.

One of the suspects is in his 50s and from Devon while the others are in their early 20s and are from Manchester. They were detained by officers of the new National Crime Agency (NCA) shortly after the FBI arrested Ross Ulbricht – the suspected creator of Silk Road.

The NCA has warned that other people in the UK suspected of being “significant users” of Silk Road will be arrested over the coming weeks.

Keith Bristow, director general at the NCA, said: “These arrests send a clear message to criminals; the hidden Internet isn’t hidden and your anonymous activity isn’t anonymous. We know where you are, what you are doing and we will catch you.”

He went on to say criminals can’t completely erase their digital footprints, no matter how technology-savvy they are.

“They will always make mistakes and this brings law enforcement closer to them. These latest arrests are just the start; there are many more to come,” Bristow added.

Andy Archibald, head of the NCA’s National Cyber Crime Unit, said the NCA is committed to tackling the ‘dark’ or ‘deep’ web and those who exploit it. He added:

It is not clear how much data the NCA possesses – for example whether it can see exactly which products each of the suspects purchased from the site.

While illegal drugs are reported to have made up 70% of the items sold on Silk Road, some other seemingly innocent items have also been up for sale on the site, including digital goods, jewellery and home and garden supplies. However, it seems unlikely the NCA will accept any claims from the suspects that their frequent visits to the site were merely to buy these innocuous goods.

[Mod note] Source: http://www.coindesk.com/four-men-arrested-uk-roles-silk-road/ [/Mod note]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbhelp

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:47:39 PM

And this is where people are going to realize that their are consequences for their actions.  If it's too good to be true, it is
clock27

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:49:41 PM

i bety we'll start seeing a lot more of this in the news in the coming months Sad im glad i never had the chance to order off of there so theres none of my info there

meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:51:37 PM

Four men in the UK have been arrested over their alleged roles in the online marketplace Silk Road.

One of the suspects is in his 50s and from Devon while the others are in their early 20s and are from Manchester. They were detained by officers of the new National Crime Agency (NCA) shortly after the FBI arrested Ross Ulbricht – the suspected creator of Silk Road.

The NCA has warned that other people in the UK suspected of being “significant users” of Silk Road will be arrested over the coming weeks.

Keith Bristow, director general at the NCA, said: “These arrests send a clear message to criminals; the hidden Internet isn’t hidden and your anonymous activity isn’t anonymous. We know where you are, what you are doing and we will catch you.”

He went on to say criminals can’t completely erase their digital footprints, no matter how technology-savvy they are.

“They will always make mistakes and this brings law enforcement closer to them. These latest arrests are just the start; there are many more to come,” Bristow added.

Andy Archibald, head of the NCA’s National Cyber Crime Unit, said the NCA is committed to tackling the ‘dark’ or ‘deep’ web and those who exploit it. He added:

It is not clear how much data the NCA possesses – for example whether it can see exactly which products each of the suspects purchased from the site.

While illegal drugs are reported to have made up 70% of the items sold on Silk Road, some other seemingly innocent items have also been up for sale on the site, including digital goods, jewellery and home and garden supplies. However, it seems unlikely the NCA will accept any claims from the suspects that their frequent visits to the site were merely to buy these innocuous goods.

The guy from Devon is called PlutoPete and he's been posting on the Silk Road forums about his arrest. He was arrested last week before the NCA existed (it's only came into existence on Monday) so I don't see how he could have been detained by them. He says that he never sold anything illegal on the site - only seeds and growing accessories. That's why he told lots of people in real life about what he was doing and always included his real return address on his packages.

I think the police and media are making these arrests out to be something that they're not but I suppose only time will tell.
MerchantMiner (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:54:42 PM

(The guy from Devon is called PlutoPete and he's been posting on the Silk Road forums about his arrest. He was arrested last week before the NCA existed (it's only came into existence on Monday) so I don't see how he could have been detained by them)

Interesting i thought the same thing but the nca was around a bit before the big announcement to make sure they had got the act together ,
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:59:21 PM

(The guy from Devon is called PlutoPete and he's been posting on the Silk Road forums about his arrest. He was arrested last week before the NCA existed (it's only came into existence on Monday) so I don't see how he could have been detained by them)

Interesting i thought the same thing but the nca was around a bit before the big announcement to make sure they had got the act together ,

Yeah maybe they've existed for a bit longer but Monday was the big announcement day. The media were jizzing their underpants calling them the British FBI.
MerchantMiner (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:01:05 PM

Yeah maybe they've existed for a bit longer but Monday was the big announcement day. The media were jizzing their underpants calling them the British FBI.

made my stomach turn as i know how bad the FBI are in the US we really don't need that shit here!!!! NWO Police State , Martial Law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wheres dose it end ,.............George Orwell 1984
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:04:27 PM

I wonder if they have an "x-files" division and what it would be called

cbhelp

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:04:57 PM

The FBI are really not that bad here.  Not sure why you get that feeling..... they don't go randomly harassing people here.  Local police are much worse.
murraypaul

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:05:37 PM

The police have arrested people.
That means they must have had enough evidence to convince a judge to issue an arrest warrant.
They will get exactly the same chance to defend themselves as anyone else who gets arrested.
How exactly does that equate to martial law?

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
MerchantMiner (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:46:29 PM

The police have arrested people.
That means they must have had enough evidence to convince a judge to issue an arrest warrant.
They will get exactly the same chance to defend themselves as anyone else who gets arrested.
How exactly does that equate to martial law?

you seam confused , my statement ends .............where dose this end ............ george orwell 1984 .

sorry you got confused
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 03:04:11 PM

Sweden too now:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=230442617&ft=1&f=

more or less retired.
dragonkid

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 03:18:58 PM

Keith Bristow, director general at the NCA, said: “These arrests send a clear message to criminals; the hidden Internet isn’t hidden and your anonymous activity isn’t anonymous. We know where you are, what you are doing and we will catch you.

Actually the hidden Internet is hidden and anonymous activity is anonymous. They don't know where you are, what you are doing and they can only catch people who don't know how to be anonymous properly.

People can completely erase their digital footprints, and if you are truly technology-savvy, you can get rid of all your digital footprints.

I do agreed on the last sentence, people make mistakes and that is how the law enforcement can arrest the one who are less technology-savvy and don't know how to get rid of their digital footprint.

The NCA is boasting about it, but not everything is true. I have skills in Computer Forensic and deal with Computer Espionage cases, it is only the less technology savvy and careless people who get caught.

The real technology savvy people, you will not be able to catch them, because you don't even know it happened.

For example, the Anonymous hacker group. Only a few people who are not technology savvy got caught, the one who used the hacking tool made by the Anonymous hacker group (Not member of the Anonymous). The real hackers in the Anonymous hacker group, never got caught.

dianemajor

Activity: 14

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:52:25 PM

Keith Bristow, director general at the NCA, said: “These arrests send a clear message to criminals; the hidden Internet isn’t hidden and your anonymous activity isn’t anonymous. We know where you are, what you are doing and we will catch you.

Actually the hidden Internet is hidden and anonymous activity is anonymous. They don't know where you are, what you are doing and they can only catch people who don't know how to be anonymous properly.

People can completely erase their digital footprints, and if you are truly technology-savvy, you can get rid of all your digital footprints.

I do agreed on the last sentence, people make mistakes and that is how the law enforcement can arrest the one who are less technology-savvy and don't know how to get rid of their digital footprint.

The NCA is boasting about it, but not everything is true. I have skills in Computer Forensic and deal with Computer Espionage cases, it is only the less technology savvy and careless people who get caught.

The real technology savvy people, you will not be able to catch them, because you don't even know it happened.

For example, the Anonymous hacker group. Only a few people who are not technology savvy got caught, the one who used the hacking tool made by the Anonymous hacker group (Not member of the Anonymous). The real hackers in the Anonymous hacker group, never got caught.
No one could of said this any better! You won't get caught if you know what your doing!
Magazine

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:54:39 PM

PlutoPete got arrested and his from the UK.
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 10:18:26 PM

And this is where people are going to realize that their are consequences for their actions.  If it's too good to be true, it is

First time I would do this, +1

That is correct.  BUT, the people involved in mainly this money business, they'll get lazier and lazier in the job.  That's when they make that mistake, and FBI jumps in.
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 12:03:05 AM

I was thinking of selling some legal things on SR after noticing that there were plenty of sellers on there doing this taking advantage of the better and more liberal conditions than ebay.

Seeing as PlutoPete was selling legal things and got arrested anyway...
 that's not good!

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: