Bitcoin Forum
December 13, 2017, 10:07:02 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alt-coin development costs?  (Read 308 times)
owenprescott

Activity: 378

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:47:03 PM

I am curious how much it would cost to have a developer build a custom spec alt-coin? I appreciate there are varying degrees of customization, so I will list two examples of potential ideas:
1) Basic clone with re-branding and custom specs
2} Heavy modifications, for example added features to the wallet

I appreciate alt-coins have a relatively bad rep with all the pre-mining and so on, however as a big fan of Bitcoin and crypto I feel this is a project I might like to take on next.  I have not worked out any specific specs for an alt-coin just yet, and I am wondering about the costs and potential time it might take to develop such a project from a basic to complex level. Building brands, websites and marketing is something I enjoy and I like to think my approach to developing an alt-coin could perhaps result in a decent coin worthy of use by merchants and so on.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
meta.p02

Activity: 196

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 05:20:34 PM

1) Near zero. Create your own logo, coin name, specs, then do a few changes of parameters. You might need to pay if you are not able to compile a windows client yourself, though.

2) Depends on what you want. If it is a client-side feature (i.e. modification to the UI), then it should not take much work. If it is a network feature  - implementing new hash algorithms or features (like proof-of-burn), you would probably need to pay developers much more.

Earn Devcoins by Writing | Trade on Cryptsy! Faucets: Watch ads, earn Bitcoin | Visit pages, get Bitcoin | Gamble with faucet earnings!
If you found my post informative/interesting, consider tipping at BTC: 15877457612137dj4MM57bGXRkPzU4wPRM or DVC: 1B2PAYVe9BQRrZKaWZxWtunutwrm6fVcF7.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.