Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:39:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wife wants half of my cryptos and wants me to sell half of all our holdings now.  (Read 856 times)
melscrypto

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 03:57:49 PM

OP, I'm glad you and your wife were able to come to a compromise that works for both of you.

Every time I read comments on questions like this (here and elsewhere), I am ever more grateful I found a partner who isn't a skidmark redpiller. Unless you want advice on destroying your marriage, I'd skip their answers if I were you.  Roll Eyes
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Ashimwe

Activity: 168
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 02:11:02 AM

You can sell some and leave some for long-term, it's not always bad to take profits where it's due
liotmaan

Activity: 324
Merit: 261

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 02:42:10 AM

You're the man, she isn't. Tell her to fuck off
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3190

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 04:00:15 AM
Merited by paxmao (1)

You're the man, she isn't. Tell her to fuck off

If that is really your attitude, then I think your life might be better if you treat people with more respect.
adamantasaurus

Activity: 700
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 07:24:15 AM

I think you should find a more mature and understanding wife it is NOT half hers even if you did get divorced there is no way a judge could make you give her half crypto is easy to hide.... she is acting like a child I wouldnt stand for that i would find a new girlfriend...
Cryptodetails

Activity: 140
Merit: 3

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 03:16:02 PM

Hi.

So my wife wants me to sell half of my cryptos like right now.  We invested early last year.  She claims its half hers b/c I live in California and its half hers as community property.  She didn't put any money into it it was my hard earn money that I had to risk.

I am a little confused.
If I understood correctly you are NOT in the middle of a nasty divorce, which is THE moment when your investments would probably have to be divided 50/50 with your wife.

Doesn't quite add up. IF you give her 50% now and she spends her share, and THEN you divorce and you have to split everything AGAIN 50/50. Not fair, and I do not think it works like that.

Another scenario: You give her half now, and she spends her share, and then she asks for 50% again, because it is her "right". What then? do you have to give her 50% of your remaining investments, which she spends AGAIN. And the same can repeat forever, until neither of you have any money left  Grin Grin

That is not how marriage and community property laws work. (I am no expert in how things work in California but we have a similar law.)

You own your own money, even if you are married. Hell. if you want, you could rent a jumbo jet and fly to a holiday, and thus spend all your money, and she could not do anything about it. Or, yes,  she could divorce you and split her savings with you, because you would not have anything left at that point...

Having said that. She could be right. If you have multiplied your investment, maybe it is a good idea to take some money back. Maybe sell enough to cover your initial investment. Then there is no risk of losing your initial investment, and it would be much easier to follow the swings of the market.
Divorce is difficult to call a pleasant procedure, and if it also turns out that one of the parties, often male, owns a crypto currency, this takes the process to a new level of complexity. Here, state must intervene
Ahmat faisol

Activity: 243
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 10:45:45 AM

I also have a complicated household relationship but nothing to do with my work in the cripto world because I work so I have the right to give money according to the household needs because my income for the family is not for individuals.
It's not fair for me if your wife asks for your 50% right,
While you and your wife lost the letter whether you were divorced or not, I think 100% of your investment is private if your wife still allows me to think that you have to buy a letter for her and you can take over another woman. that suits you without blackmail.

other things if you before marriage has made a dowry or dowry will give wife rights for 50% of your work in crypto and I am sure you must give him 50% with a strong proof record if you have fulfilled his right if you have not prepared the proof and give her I think your wife will ask for 100% of your money.
if you can convince your wife to stay calm and wait for great results I think she will wait for her with you.
fia_naila

Activity: 770
Merit: 258

The Standart Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 08:37:30 AM
Merited by paxmao (1)

This is my rules for me when i want to invest in some crypto :
1. I will never tell my wife that i invest ther and if i do i tell her i will say bullshit ammount half ammount from what i invest. Because the girls can not control their emotion especially in bear market.

Not only your wife who can handle bullish market all people can handle profit.

My suggestion if you get much profit like 10x of your investment better you cash out half of those crypto and let half of it for long term. Because your wife already knows about it and its foe evading if the market crash again she is not blame on you.
Gecko8

Activity: 322
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 10:52:02 AM

Since she didn't put any money into your investment, she can't force you to sell half of your crypto/portfolio. But if you don't want to argue anymore, sell few of your crypto (less than half), but claim that you've sold half of your crypto and use the money for safer investment such as Stock.
She shouldn't argue too hard afterwards Roll Eyes
Umm... Women problem, you should sell at least 25% of your crypto savings and give her the money that way you can have a peace of mind. The problem with women when it comes to money they lose their mind, and if you don't provide a quick solution by giving her some you're going to be in serious trouble. I believe by now, you've learned a very good lesson; which never shows all your investments to a woman because the majority of them only know how to spend not to invest for long-term. Cheesy

You seem to really know the women. As long as we have such arrogant machos in this world I am glad we also have smart woman on earth.
sigtmerchant

Activity: 182
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 12:13:01 PM

No problem honey, let's sell it if you want. I'm a bit busy now, here's a flash card with the wallet data. Password? What password? Oh it was written somewhere... Did the cleaner touch anything on the table? I can't find it!
xcajun21

Activity: 742
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 12:28:54 PM

Talk to her and comfort her. She is telling you this because of fear. Also, its a market behavior, since now, everybody thinks the same...  On the run, everybody is excited. On next step, everyone is in denial, etc. Also it is not good to be arrogant, so you should find a mutual agreement.
chibimanau

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 03:44:46 PM

The two of you should come to an agreement to avoid divorce, explain to her that long-term investment is very beneficial for your future. If necessary you can also sell a small part to solve the current problem. Then over time let's move to a black fund that only you know. Tell her you invest in a loss.
cry4crypto

Activity: 140
Merit: 35

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 05:50:20 PM

She didn't put any money into it it was my hard earn money that I had to risk.
That's the most important part here. She has no basis to demand that you sell something that she's not legally entitled to. It's your money and entirely your choice what to do with your investment. The thing is, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't like to hear the truth about her not having any say in this. I understand that the situation is complicated and your goal is to avoid escalation. So why don't you try an approach where you show her something like this:

In March 2010, 1 Bitcoin was worth $0.003
In March 2011, 1 Bitcoin was worth $0.83
In March 2012, 1 Bitcoin was worth $4.92
In March 2013, 1 Bitcoin was worth $47.41
In March 2014, 1 Bitcoin was worth $662.57
In March 2015, 1 Bitcoin was worth $200
In March 2016, 1 Bitcoin was worth $382
In March 2017, 1 Bitcoin was worth $1290

Now onto March 2018, 1 Bitcoin is currently worth ~$8000, don't you see a clear uptrend here, honey, why not give it another year?

There's historical price data available on a large number of sites, I'm not pulling these numbers out of my ass. You can show her charts and use the March example. If you have food on your plate and are able to pay rent & bills, then this is a further argument to present against selling now.

I hope it helps, and I hope you're able stand your ground without any turmoil in your marriage. Good luck.
lunobird (OP)

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 07:08:48 PM

Ya I give her the Ender's game analogy and she seems to understand my mindset a little bit more.

I treat money in crypto like a video game.
You  let a few of your supply ships get destroyed in order to do the final winning blow with all your crypto holdings in a bull run.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3190

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 10:49:14 PM

Perhaps you might also consider that if you sold half of your BTC when your wife wanted you to, you would be $1000 per bitcoin richer right now.
lunobird (OP)

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 11:58:26 PM

Perhaps you might also consider that if you sold half of your BTC when your wife wanted you to, you would be $1000 per bitcoin richer right now.

That is true,  but at the same time If i listen to her,  she told me to sell off everything in the summer of last year. Obviously that would have been a big mistake also missing out on the nov/december bull run.

xcajun21

Activity: 742
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 01:54:00 AM

In your place i would give her half, seeing these profits, isn't like your are the golden goose laying eggs. Besides, a wife is half you, and would be far more exciting the SO to be on the same boat, holding the same amounts, taking loving decisions together and so. You are a lucky man Wink

She didn't put any money into it it was my hard earn money that I had to risk.
The thing is she is on the same boat. Women are far more sensible then us. If ur stressed about it, she is far more stressed about it. You can't definitely say she is not invested emotionally same as you.
ipanda

Activity: 272
Merit: 102

Millionaire

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 03:41:22 AM

women do NOT think the way we do, bro
as people say : face a serious  problem, ask your wife and do it reversely . you will be successful

if you dont believe me, google a story of an old man won 400 million dollars after ignored his wife' words
The Sceptical Chymist
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 6791

Cashback 15%

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 03:51:31 AM

She's also a lawyer
There's your mistake.  Knew I'd find it somewhere in the thread.
Sombabe

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 01:40:48 PM

Ya we're not divorcing or anything that serious.  We just have total different approach to money that we have to both compromise on and work out.

For example

-  I'll still a cheap ass and afraid to spend money b/c i rather invest with any left over money I have after a paycheck from work..  I'll still make my own lunch at work and eat a cup of noodle here and there b/c i refuse to pay 15 bucks for a meal

- I consider them numbers on the screen and not money just digital numbers and treat it more like a 401k

-She will consider it as real money that can be life changing and wants to cash out as soon as possible on any small gains.

- She will go to whole foods and buy an 8 dollar asparagus and i'll freak out on the  $50 dollar wine bottles that I consider wasteful

-She considers what we both earn as community money therefore any crypto gains or losses is half hers.  She's also a lawyer so she's a bit smarter then me but I'm more outside the box creative thinking

So far I"ve been in full control of the cryptos and she feels a bit left out in terms of control of when to take profit.  It's a bit unfair to her but I feel she will panic sell and I will bag hodl till it goes to zero on certain coins

Ever since I sold 20 percent of my holdings in todays market things improved between me and her.  She felt more relax now and less bossy,  We can pay our taxes even if the market tanks more and have some left over. But this required me to off load half of my eth and bitcoin Sad

So you don't monitor her spending on asparagus and wine, but she monitors your spending in Crypto? Sounds very unequal to me.
If you need to cash out to take care of things like taxes, maybe you were too heavily invested n the first place and that's what has her worried, but she doesn't have a right to declare half of your investment as hers and tell you what to do with it. Your money is your money, at least until she takes you to divorce court.

I'm a woman and I don't get how you guys in countries with unfair divorce laws still marry.

Pet peeve: Divorce laws. Some of these laws need to be changed, if not, young men will stop marrying, get more irresponsible and the next generation will grow up in single parent homes and be totally dependent on the government.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: