Bitcoin Forum
September 27, 2024, 10:23:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to know about Gas in details  (Read 154 times)
jhimli (OP)

Activity: 59
Merit: 7

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 09:05:31 AM

Hi , I am new in this blockchain field.. sorry for my ignorance

Try to learn step by step , how Blockchain actually works ..

so One word I found GAS ,, and after google it got this :

Gas is the name for the execution fee that senders of transactions need to pay for every operation made on an Ethereum blockchain,

Can anyone here please elaborate this for me with an example..

For exapmple:  If I want to purchase ERC20 token, I have to pay GAS [ or excution fees]

Please help me.

Cheers
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 09:22:49 AM

Gas (or petrol, if it helps you understand better) is the fuel for the ETH blockchain.
Ethereum was designed to be a distributed turing-complete computer, and you can't have a public computer without a way to limit actions of participants or else they will exploit it or make the network halt by deploying code that loops forever.
That is how the concept of gas was born.
It is payment for every computation you make on the Ethereum blockchain (your ETH or token transactions are actually computations), so the more complex your calculation/computation is, the more gas you will have to pay. This limits people spamming the network as it would get prohibitively expensive to do so.

You can think of it like transaction fees in bitcoin (even though it is not actually the same thing)
For more information read this article by MyEtherWallet:
https://myetherwallet.github.io/knowledge-base/gas/what-is-gas-ethereum.html
jhimli (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 04:20:10 PM

Gas (or petrol, if it helps you understand better) is the fuel for the ETH blockchain.
Ethereum was designed to be a distributed turing-complete computer, and you can't have a public computer without a way to limit actions of participants or else they will exploit it or make the network halt by deploying code that loops forever.
It is payment for every computation you make on the Ethereum blockchain (your ETH or token transactions are actually computations), so the more complex your calculation/computation is, the more gas you will have to pay. This limits people spamming the network as it would get prohibitively expensive to do so.

You can think of it like transaction fees in bitcoin (even though it is not actually the same thing)

Hey ,

I really appriciate your help , I was tried to understand form that link which you provide,,, its totally new to me , so may be it will take time to understand,,, you people are more educated in crypto industries ,, I am totally newbie in this large crypto world... but again thanks for your awesome help,, send me some more information ,, I jsut registered some courseware for blockchain technology ... so need to learn more and more..

cheers
jhimli (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 06:14:20 PM

Below 20 GWEI the blocks are almost all full, may I know the reason here..as per my understanding if we set lower than 20 GWEI that WILL  have to wait in line ??
Xynerise

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:59:52 PM

Below 20 GWEI the blocks are almost all full, may I know the reason here.
Where did you get this info from?

.as per my understanding if we set lower than 20 GWEI that WILL  have to wait in line ??
Probably, but fee estimation is not an exact science.
It is possible that of you use a lower gas price your transaction will still be processed fairly quickly (even though not as fast as when you use a higher gas fee)
jhimli (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 02:04:40 PM

Below 20 GWEI the blocks are almost all full, may I know the reason here.
Where did you get this info from?

.as per my understanding if we set lower than 20 GWEI that WILL  have to wait in line ??
Probably, but fee estimation is not an exact science.
It is possible that of you use a lower gas price your transaction will still be processed fairly quickly (even though not as fast as when you use a higher gas fee)

AS YOU SUGGEST ME A WEBSITE , https://myetherwallet.github.io/knowledge-base/gas/what-is-gas-ethereum.html ,read already, but I did not understand fully ,2-3 things are more complicated so ask you , anything wrong..

Aminmon

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 02:19:43 PM

Gas is required for your current account transfer fee, most of the time you use the gas transfer depends on the current network how many not packaged deal, if the more to trade package, then you need to pay for more the gas.

electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2018, 02:24:18 PM

if you want to purchase ERC token then its not gas that you will be paying, its the transaction fee for the exchange you are into. GAS is where you send tokens to another ETH wallet regardless of which token,, even if you send ETH itself you need to pay GAS. I'm not familiar as to how much is the gas fee but i'd assume its just less than $1.

█▄       ▄                                            ████     ▐███▌                                                 
    ▐████▄ ▄██                                           █████     ████▌
    ▐█████████▌                                          █████     ████
▄▄▄▄▄███████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                                   █████    █████                                 █████
  ▀█████▀▀  ▄██████████▄                   ████     ▄██████████████████████                             █████
    ▀▀  ▄▄██████████████                  █████     ██████████████████████                             ▄█████
    ▄██████▀██▀█████████     ▄██████   ▄██████████      ████     █████          ▄████████    ▄██████▄  █████  █████
    █████▀▀ ▀▀ ▀██████    ▄███████████ ███████████     ▐████     █████       ▄███████████  ██████████  ██████████████
    ███████ █ ██████    ▄█████▀ ▐█████  ▐█████         █████     █████      ▄██████▀ ████ █████▀  ▀██  ██████████████
    █████▄  ▄ ▄▄██████▌ ██████████████  ██████    ██████████████████████▄ ▄█████    █████ ████████     █████    █████
   ▐██████ ██ █████████ ████████████    █████▌    ▀██████████████████████ █████    ██████  ██████████ ▄████▀   ▄█████
   ████████████████████ ██████          █████          ████     █████     █████▄  ███████      ██████ █████    ██████
   ██████████████████   █████████████  ████████      ▄████    ▐████▌     ██████████████  ███████████ █████    █████
   ████████████████▀      ██████████     ███████▀     ████▀     ████▌     ████████▌ ███  ▀████████   █████    █████
|
  Bet on Future Blocks & Earn a Passive Income
         Supports Bitcoin, Ethereum, EOS and more!   
   🎰 Play Lottery
🎲 Play Dice
🍀Get Referral Bonus
    ▄████████▄
  █████▀█▀██████
 ████▄  ▄  ▀█████
██████▌ ▀▀▀ ▄████▌
██████▌ ███  ████▌
 ████      ▄▄████
  █████▄█▄█████▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀
    ▄▄███████▄
  ▄█████████████
 █████████▀ ▀▀███▄
▐███▌   ▀    ▐████
▐████        █████
 █████▀    ▄█████▀
  ▀█████████████
    ▀▀███████▀
   ▄▄███████▄▄
 ▄█████████████▄
▄████████▀▀   ███
████▀▀  ▄█▀  ████
██▄▄ ▄█▀     ████
▀█████      █████
 ▀████▄███▄ ███▀
    ▀███████▀
rezurect

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 02:25:55 PM

Gas is the name for the execution fee that senders of transactions need to pay for every operation made on an Ethereum blockchain,

For exapmple:  If I want to purchase ERC20 token, I have to pay GAS [ or excution fees]

Please help me.

Cheers

https://ethgasstation.info
For real time gas prices and even more insight in the network traffic.
Casalania

Activity: 491
Merit: 100

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 02:28:20 PM

Please help me.

Cheers
gas stands for transaction fee that you have to pay when executing transactions in blockchain. without gas, you wont be able to transfer your funds or your altcoin to another.
transaction process depends on the gas or gwei you set, the higher the gas, the faster it will transfer.

╓                                        SWG.io  ⁞ Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.14                                        ╖
║     〘 Available On Binance Square 〙•〘 ◊ ICOHOLDER ⁞ 4.45 〙•〘 ✅ Certik Audited 〙     ║
╙           ›››››››››››››››››››››››››››››› BUY  NOW ‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹           ╜
Ri Polok

Activity: 364
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 02:50:48 PM

if you want to purchase ERC token then its not gas that you will be paying, its the transaction fee for the exchange you are into. GAS is where you send tokens to another ETH wallet regardless of which token,, even if you send ETH itself you need to pay GAS. I'm not familiar as to how much is the gas fee but i'd assume its just less than $1.
Thanks for your impressive explanations of Gas. Really it's very helpful for me.
hdtqisg

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 02:52:58 PM

Please help me.

Cheers
You can see more info :
https://ethgasstation.info/index.php
The price of gas that a user offers should generally reflect how fast they want a transaction mined. Most users also want to avoid offering a price this is so low that it will never be mined (or require them to resend the transaction at a higher price). While offering a high gas price can speed up confirmation some, there is a limit to the acceleration. Offering a higher gas price than what is needed for acceptance by all top miners is unlikely to speed up the transaction time further under nomral circumstances.
jhimli (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 03:38:48 PM

Please help me.

Cheers
gas stands for transaction fee that you have to pay when executing transactions in blockchain. without gas, you wont be able to transfer your funds or your altcoin to another.
transaction process depends on the gas or gwei you set, the higher the gas, the faster it will transfer.

Ok , Thanks for your answer that means without GAS , we cannot send any token ... Gas is necessary for BLOCKCHAIN and minning,.. the higher the GAS price .. its faster ... ok that Means If I want to invest BITCOIN or Altcoin I have to pay some fees , such as when we transfer money via NEFT/IMPS we have to pay some transaction fees ... is my understanding is OK?
Xynerise

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 04:40:52 PM

Ok , Thanks for your answer that means without GAS , we cannot send any token ... Gas is necessary for BLOCKCHAIN and minning,.. the higher the GAS price .. its faster ... ok that Means If I want to invest BITCOIN or Altcoin I have to pay some fees , such as when we transfer money via NEFT/IMPS we have to pay some transaction fees ... is my understanding is OK?
Exactly, yes.
But Gas is necessary to make transactions of ETH and of tokens that run on the Ethereum blockchain.
jhimli (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 06:32:42 AM

Please help me.

Cheers
You can see more info :
https://ethgasstation.info/index.php
The price of gas that a user offers should generally reflect how fast they want a transaction mined. Most users also want to avoid offering a price this is so low that it will never be mined (or require them to resend the transaction at a higher price). While offering a high gas price can speed up confirmation some, there is a limit to the acceleration. Offering a higher gas price than what is needed for acceptance by all top miners is unlikely to speed up the transaction time further under nomral circumstances.

Hi as per your Link one question is roaming on my mind  "What determines the price miners charge for gas?  in this section one WORD is there " uncle rate" what is this rate actually
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: