Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:30:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking woodworker (displayable small-scale boat)  (Read 2028 times)
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 06:06:17 AM

Looking for someone to build a model of a longship. It shouldn't be ridiculously intricate like those pieces fellows work on for years, but attention to detail would obviously be appreciated since impact of the vessel is exceptionally important. It needs to be sturdy enough to have a 99%+ chance of surviving international mailing intact (one solid piece of carved wood would be preferable - the possible exception being the mast). As far as scale and dimensions - I'm no nautical expert, but the longship should be large enough to carry roughly 2 "gallons" of loot (~500 cu. in., ~.08 cu. m.).

The longship is for the project listed @ https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=307001

At this time, I can't offer much more than materials + ~$10/hr, payable in cash or coin. Should the first project have an excellent result, though, I'd ask for donations to pay closer to market rate, and a woodworker would likely be useful in all future projects. If interested or know someone who may be interested, please PM me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 11:23:25 PM

Bump. Mats + $12.50/hr, coin or cash.
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:26:31 PM

Bump... Mats + whatever you ask on a platinum platter.
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 01:05:06 PM

im interested in this. let me do a little research into the scope of this so i can give an estimate/accurate time frame. honestly, this may be beyond my technical expertise at the moment (I typically carve hair toys for my fiancee as a labor of love, few other larger projects) but have a buddy with extensive access to tools and quite a bit of personal experience. want to run the whole thing by him; have a few questions for clarity:

do you have desired dimensions? (possible oblong/irregular objects to fit inside of it)

preferred materials? an extremely light wood, but fragile, like balsa, or a sturdier wood that will persist but is much more expensive and much, much heavier (intl shipping), like oak?

any particular longship? they vary a lot between the cultures that utilized them

will it need to be painted (not a simple stain and clear coat, will it need bitcoin logos painted on the side?also, the final coat might need to be applied after the detail paint work, ie after shipping)

will it need additional carving/ crenellation on the outer surface? (such as a carved or embossed bitcoin logo). this restricts the types of wood

will any logos/symbols need to be burned into the outer surface (think ammo crate lettering). same wood consideration.

are we reproducing the benches? are we reproducing the oars? the detail work eats up the hours.

does it need to be seaworthy?

and finally, the missus can sew or knit the sail if you have problems finding someone for this.

sorry for the info dump, but this sounds like a fun project to get wrapped up in, will try to see if I have the time for this 

and, I will have to say, you will probably get away cheaper trying to find a product like this that already exists in the wild and modifying it to your taste. I will be on the look out for wooden toys and or models that might accommodate this.

Green
GreenBits
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 02:06:38 PM

also look at wicker baskets shaped like boats, and possibly building the model out of polymer clay or some other lightweight, moldable and fireable material. 

Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 04:28:47 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2013, 05:03:29 PM by Kluge

im interested in this. let me do a little research into the scope of this so i can give an estimate/accurate time frame. honestly, this may be beyond my technical expertise at the moment (I typically carve hair toys for my fiancee as a labor of love, few other larger projects) but have a buddy with extensive access to tools and quite a bit of personal experience. want to run the whole thing by him; have a few questions for clarity:

do you have desired dimensions? (possible oblong/irregular objects to fit inside of it)

preferred materials? an extremely light wood, but fragile, like balsa, or a sturdier wood that will persist but is much more expensive and much, much heavier (intl shipping), like oak?

any particular longship? they vary a lot between the cultures that utilized them

will it need to be painted (not a simple stain and clear coat, will it need bitcoin logos painted on the side?also, the final coat might need to be applied after the detail paint work, ie after shipping)

will it need additional carving/ crenellation on the outer surface? (such as a carved or embossed bitcoin logo). this restricts the types of wood

will any logos/symbols need to be burned into the outer surface (think ammo crate lettering). same wood consideration.

are we reproducing the benches? are we reproducing the oars? the detail work eats up the hours.

does it need to be seaworthy?

and finally, the missus can sew or knit the sail if you have problems finding someone for this.

sorry for the info dump, but this sounds like a fun project to get wrapped up in, will try to see if I have the time for this 

and, I will have to say, you will probably get away cheaper trying to find a product like this that already exists in the wild and modifying it to your taste. I will be on the look out for wooden toys and or models that might accommodate this.

Green

Yay - thanks. I was starting to think it'd never be done.

Dimensions - I haven't found exact dimensions of a ship, only length (which I guess is all anyone cares about in excavating the Norse longships). I'm trying to get in contact with someone knowledgeable on it, now. From eyeballing it, it looks like the "scale" of a Skeld is roughly 10 units long, 1 unit wide, 1 unit "high" (they're very "shallow"). It should hold right around two gallons of loot, though the loot is TBD - probably smaller items (like candies) which shouldn't have issue fitting in an irregular container. The shallowness of the boat may prove to be an issue (meaning it'd have to be freakin' giant) since they seem to be built for speed and maneuverability, not large cargo space, and I don't want to sacrifice authenticity just to put a few more trinkets on the ship.

Preferred materials - I don't imagine balsa holding up in shipping. Something like poplar, cedar or a light elm might be a good compromise in density, though I have no idea how hard or easy they are to work with. Oak looks like it'd be the most authentic, though (specifically, Irish Oak, which looks about as easy to obtain as a BFL Monarch). I think it has to be wood, though.

Longship type - A Viking Skeid is what I had in mind.

Paint - I don't see it needing paint, except on the sail. Maybe a darker stain could be used on the bottom to try indicating the iron botton.

Woodworking fanciness - Feel free to get carried away and bill me for it if you're feeling inspired (uh, within loose reason -- five-week project for one unique feature might be overkill). Oars would probably compromise its ability to be sent intact. I have no idea how long it'd take to put benches in, but maybe they could be used as structural support, with a significantly reduced number of them (full number might compromise cargo space too severely). No burning or logos of any kind are needed on the ship unless maybe you want to burn your signature somewhere. Smiley Here's an example model I'd be absolutely thrilled to see:

Another example (thanks, Phin):

^That's actually a mass-produced model, though made of plastic

Seaworthiness - Hrm. Well... It doesn't need to survive a sea - but if it'd only take a couple coats of sealant on the final design to float around a pond, that'd be pretty cool. I don't imagine reason to design it as a seaworthy vessel, though.

Sail - Yeah - if she's up for sewing it, that'd work out well. Less work put on my grandma, the better -- she's getting well up there in age with shaky hands and fleeting vision, but still loves to paint and does it really well, somehow.  Huh  Cheesy

If you can give me a really rough guesstimate, I'll see how much it makes me cringe and maybe be less tight-fisted.  Cheesy

ETA: Requirement for shipping costs and its ability to ship intact -- the mast (and sail) need to be able to be easily attached and detached from the ship. Something like a screw-on mast would work well, I'd think.
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 04:58:58 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2013, 05:11:15 PM by Kluge

100cm long, 10cm high (excluding mast, sail, and upward curves on length-sides of ship), 10 cm wide (widest point), I'd guess (without knowing exact curves), would give us a bit over a gallon of storage space.

That'd be a ship over 3ft long. Would that be doable? It needs to be shipped twice in the US, once Internationally to Sweden, but I don't think shipping costs will be TOO horribly insane, maybe $200 total? ... crap - better look that up. Assuming 8 lbs and that with the curved ends and padding it comes out to be ~10% longer and wider, and 30% higher, 2-day shipping in the US comes to ~$21 each (~$42 total), and shipping to Sweden comes to $52, for a ~$100 total after whatever bullshit fees are tacked on.

If 20 lbs, ~$150-200. -So that isn't too horrible.
GreenBits
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 06:46:14 AM

give me a day or two to pass this info along and confer. excited about this!
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 10:22:09 AM

Any news? Company never responded to my email.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: