Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:52:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: exchanges with trading fees calculated not from the base currency?  (Read 90 times)
zenyfomax1 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 02:56:37 PM

For the few exchanges that I use, trading fees are calculated using the base currency (where in a currency pair C1/C2, C2 is the base currency). For example, for pairs BTC/USD, the fees both for buying and selling are denominated in USD. I read that Mt. Gox used to have fees in BTC. Are there other exchanges out there who are calculating fees not from the base currency?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lite
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 06:56:03 PM

For the few exchanges that I use, trading fees are calculated using the base currency (where in a currency pair C1/C2, C2 is the base currency). For example, for pairs BTC/USD, the fees both for buying and selling are denominated in USD. I read that Mt. Gox used to have fees in BTC. Are there other exchanges out there who are calculating fees not from the base currency?
I use only two exchanges(kraken and binance), on kraken the fee charged is in base currency. but on binance it's different, you can buy BNB and use it as your base/fee deductible currency also you pay lower fees[1] when you use BNB.

[1] https://support.binance.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000583311
Beerwizzard

Activity: 924
Merit: 148

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 07:29:59 PM

Emm, that doesn't make any sence. What's the difference between paying the fee in base currency and paying it in some other currency? If you sell 100 USD for BTC with 1% trading fee so if you sell 100$ worth of BTC you will still loose this 1$ worth of BTC. It btcome even more complicated when it comes about altcoins where the exchange will have to exchange this fee to the mystical "fee currency".
P.S. As i remember Kucoin also have the same feature that was described by lite.
zenyfomax1 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 03:52:37 AM

Emm, that doesn't make any sence. What's the difference between paying the fee in base currency and paying it in some other currency? If you sell 100 USD for BTC with 1% trading fee so if you sell 100$ worth of BTC you will still loose this 1$ worth of BTC. It btcome even more complicated when it comes about altcoins where the exchange will have to exchange this fee to the mystical "fee currency".
P.S. As i remember Kucoin also have the same feature that was described by lite.

you're right of course. calculating from the base currency or the other currency at the same percentage will still result in the same amount. don't know what i was thinking.  Smiley

i think i got confused with trading volume and fee schedules. exchanges usually give discounts for fees according to 30-day trading volume. quoting trading volume in BTC vs in USD makes a difference because when BTC price go up, it's harder to get into the higher bracket with the same amount of trading in USD terms.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: