Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:03:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hash rate difference help  (Read 87 times)
ruinous (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 3

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 06:16:12 PM

Hi,

I'm using EWBF miner on 4x 1070ti's my miner displays a range of 2030-2060 sols but the pool side I'm only getting 1900 sols. Same with my single 1080ti shows 720 sols but pool side is 690 (ish) sols. I have dev fee set to 0 and i'm mining ZEC on Slush. Looking for help to balance out the 4 1070 ti's as I'm missing the most there I feel.

Thanks in advance.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 07:23:33 PM

Hi,

I'm using EWBF miner on 4x 1070ti's my miner displays a range of 2030-2060 sols but the pool side I'm only getting 1900 sols. Same with my single 1080ti shows 720 sols but pool side is 690 (ish) sols. I have dev fee set to 0 and i'm mining ZEC on Slush. Looking for help to balance out the 4 1070 ti's as I'm missing the most there I feel.

Thanks in advance.

How long have you been mining in that pool? Usually, it's wise to give the pool some time to see the actual hashrate from your rig.

Example: When I mine in a pool and check the hashrate I may see it +/-15% from the one my rig actually puts out. But when I check 24hour graph (the longer time chart is, the better for average) the pools hashrate is almost 1 to 1 with my rigs actual one.

fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 07:25:05 PM

I dont have a single miner whose speeds line up to pool reporting exactly, thats just how it is.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
bobben2

Activity: 279
Merit: 104

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 07:33:24 PM

Try flypool for a day or two.

https://zcash.flypool.org/

Fellow miners, get your thens and thans in order and help other forum readers understand what you are writing. Remember the grammar basics:  B larger THAN A (comparator operator). If something THEN ....
ruinous (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 07:49:01 PM

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

How long have you been mining in that pool? Usually, it's wise to give the pool some time to see the actual hashrate from your rig.

Example: When I mine in a pool and check the hashrate I may see it +/-15% from the one my rig actually puts out. But when I check 24hour graph (the longer time chart is, the better for average) the pools hashrate is almost 1 to 1 with my rigs actual one.

Been on slush for a while 2 months. with the five cards on OC settings with the pool showing my hashrate at 2611 sols/day where miners combined approx 2750 sols. consistantly

I understand that their will be some difference, is this amount within "normal" range?
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 08:08:09 PM

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Been on slush for a while 2 months. with the five cards on OC settings with the pool showing my hashrate at 2611 sols/day where miners combined approx 2750 sols. consistantly

I understand that their will be some difference, is this amount within "normal" range?

Yeah, it's just a thing that you have to accept. Nothing you can do about it (besides adding more hashpower to your rig Cheesy)

Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 08:08:29 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of mining.

The same thing happens to a lot of new miners, they do their research by looking at all the rosy projections of a GPU doing x amount of hashrate and earning y amount of profit per day, then they extrapolate the data out to a year (or two) figuring they can breakeven and make some money, so they go ahead and plunk down $2-$3k on some mining gear.

It is at this point the hard reality sets in that at almost every step of the way the rosy predictions seem to be off. The card everyone else claims gets 150 hashs or 2200 sols turns out to only produce 140 hashs or 2000 sols, worse the pools show even less.

Also, between the time you ran all your calculations and purchased, built, and tweaked your rig the price calculations have gone south and mining difficulty has risen resulting is less coins per day and the price has dropped. The result is your payback period has gone up even further than your originally anticipated.

Getting back to your particular issue, pools estimate your hashrate based upon the number of valid shares your miner submits to them, whereas your local display is simply showing you the guesses per second.

Most of the time the pool will reflect a lower overall hashrate as many inefficiencies creep into the equation. First, your miner may have a run of bad luck, where it sucks at guessing and submits a low number of shares. Your miner may guess correctly, but send the share right as the pool is moving on to new work, thus your otherwise valid share a few milliseconds ago now becomes a stale share so isn't counted by the pool. This can be compounded by a high latency between your miner and the pool and in extreme cases packet drops on your connection can result in lost shares.

On top of all this, the pools themselves are competing against other pools, so they too can have a run of bad luck, so even if you are hashing properly the pool itself may run into a period of reduced profits.

In the end it is not unusual to see a difference between what the pool shows and your miner displays. As has been already poitned out, over a longer time period the running average can even out some of the bumps, but on the whole your pool hashrate will normally be a little under what your local miner is displaying.
ruinous (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 08:37:47 PM

Ok so the range I'm seeing is normal. Possible once I hit ROI I can added some more hashing power. just seemed odd to have over 100 sol difference.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: