Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:05:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Run Avalon 741 under-clocked at around 700w  (Read 128 times)
BadgerHobbs (OP)

Activity: 77
Merit: 3

Join CKPool!

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 07:56:44 PM

Does anyone know how to or tried to run the Avalon 741 under-clocked at around 700w?

I've attempted to lower the frequency in the cgminer config however it seems to have no effect.

Cheers

1H43V4PczcWxfYAkuK3m221G4vKCKngyRV
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 09:26:14 PM

No you cannot adjust the speed like that. The miner is made to run within its spec.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
BadgerHobbs (OP)

Join CKPool!

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 09:46:20 PM

No you cannot adjust the speed like that. The miner is made to run within its spec.

Is it possible to run it with only one board active?

fanatic26

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 11:26:59 PM

Yes, each board can power the controller on its own. The machine will show a red status light with one board missing but it will hash just fine and not damage the unit in any way.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
BadgerHobbs (OP)

Join CKPool!

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 03:07:56 PM

Yes, each board can power the controller on its own. The machine will show a red status light with one board missing but it will hash just fine and not damage the unit in any way.

Would i need to run this with only one board powered with just 3 6pin, or does the other one need to be completely disconnected to work correctly?

fanatic26

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 05:21:38 PM

Just power the board you want to hash with and leave the other disconnected. You do not need to disconnect anything internally, just dont power up one of the boards.

BadgerHobbs (OP)

Join CKPool!

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:18:05 PM

Just power the board you want to hash with and leave the other disconnected. You do not need to disconnect anything internally, just dont power up one of the boards.

I am currently powering only the right board (when looking at the back). It seems to be powering up and down and sometimes connecting, hashing to a few TH and then going back down again.

The miner led is red, while the connector is blue or sometimes green.

It seems to power up and down, with everything randomly cycling through the colours which is very strange.

Any suggestions?

fanatic26

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:39:07 PM

As I mentioned the red on the miner itself is normal when it is not at full strength. I am not sure why you would get a reboot cycle like that. It sounds like your PSU might not be up to snuff, even for a single board.

BadgerHobbs (OP)

Join CKPool!

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:43:19 PM

As I mentioned the red on the miner itself is normal when it is not at full strength. I am not sure why you would get a reboot cycle like that. It sounds like your PSU might not be up to snuff, even for a single board.

Its a corsair 750 watt PSU and the power config is at -1 so I would have thought that it should run alright.

fanatic26

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:46:11 PM

I would agree with you normally, but these machines dont normally just drop like that without a reason, and in my experience a faulty PSU is far and away the most common problem. Im not guaranteeing thats it, but there is the first thing I would check if I was you.

BadgerHobbs (OP)

Join CKPool!

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:47:40 PM

I would agree with you normally, but these machines dont normally just drop like that without a reason, and in my experience a faulty PSU is far and away the most common problem. Im not guaranteeing thats it, but there is the first thing I would check if I was you.

OK, I'll check it out. Should be OK since it was running 2 BFL Monarchs before this. Maybe one of the cables are loose.

BadgerHobbs (OP)

Join CKPool!

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 01:06:59 AM

Seems to be working now, hashing on one blade at 1.4TH which seems a bit low to me.

Data and Config:
https://imgur.com/a/N0ZSh

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: