Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:37:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A possible scam  (Read 631 times)
coin.cat (OP)

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 04:50:03 PM

Today I read a story of a seller which found himself in the middle of a scam.

Apparently the scammer arranged a purchase of btc and the paying method was a bank transfer. Then the scammer "sold" some good to an innocent victim and requested a payment to the account of the btc seller. The scammer never sent the good to the innocent victim. The btc seller sent the btc to the scammer after receiving the payment. The innocent victim never received the good and wanted his money back ... from the btc seller.

How can a seller protect himself from this situation?

Barcelona Bitcoin Community: http://meetup.com/bitcoin-barcelona
                                                                        BM-2cUJchq3LjbqBzw8X854CBVZ2feJc7dyR9
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dddbtc

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 05:07:08 PM

Today I read a story of a seller which found himself in the middle of a scam.

Apparently the scammer arranged a purchase of btc and the paying method was a bank transfer. Then the scammer "sold" some good to an innocent victim and requested a payment to the account of the btc seller. The scammer never sent the good to the innocent victim. The btc seller sent the btc to the scammer after receiving the payment. The innocent victim never received the good and wanted his money back ... from the btc seller.

How can a seller protect himself from this situation?

If this involves you at all, or your friend, or had anything to do with this forum; post a thread in the scam accusation subforum and include all correspondence with all parties, TxID's , and any other relevant information.  You will get a lot of good hindsight advice from fellow members, and the offending party will likely receive a scammer tag.
Magazine

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 05:11:00 PM

This used to happen when I sold MMORPG goods, not as much due to me selling on PlayerAuctions so it wasn't possible to do it to me but it happened to other sellers I knew and it normally resulted in a attempted chargeback.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 05:40:10 PM

Well in this kind of case, it's purely "Innocent buyer's" fault.
If he makes any dispute in bank or takes some legal action, BTC seller can always show that scammers chat logs, deal info, transactions etc.

He can defend himself by saying he didn't knew "scammer" paid him from other persons account.
and it was that "innocent buyers" responsibility to check info of "scammy seller" before making payment.

If funds were stolen then i can understand but if "innocent buyer" paid him upfront and took risk of getting scammed then it's his fault.

I mean if someone paid 100 bucks to a guy and told him to buy a beer from shop, but if that guy uses his 100 bucks on something else and does scam.
He can't blame shopkeeper and ask his money back.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: