Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:55:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MalwareBytes Messages (Bitcoin Wallets)  (Read 1589 times)
row5_seat47 (OP)

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 12:30:15 AM

Got this message on my Bitcoin QT Wallet.
received similar messages once and a while.
What does it mean?

Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 12:35:52 AM

it's harmless.

"incoming" means someone else is connecting to you
port 8333 is bitcoin network's port

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 12:46:08 AM

Malwarebytes doesn't know bitcoin, send a report to the team. Smiley

cowandtea

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 02:38:37 AM

Got this message on my Bitcoin QT Wallet.
received similar messages once and a while.
What does it mean?

Not a malware, its update Smiley

dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 01:47:57 PM

I think there are some nodes, which IPs are tagged as malicious by MalewareBytes. This message pops up many times, when using Torrent, too.

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 07:27:26 AM

I think there are some nodes, which IPs are tagged as malicious by MalewareBytes. This message pops up many times, when using Torrent, too.
I think you are right:
The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware web protection is typically activated when a website loads your browser and links embedded attempt to access an IP range which our research has found to deliver malicious content to users when they access a website which is on the IP range indicated. If the alerts only appear when you are surfing with a browser open then the possible trigger is a banner ad.

Users who run peer-to-peer(P2P) programs will see these alerts frequently. Due to the heavy amount of malicious content on these networks we block most by default, until cleaned of all threats.

The explanation above about P2P is BS though, P2P comes from primarily end-user IP space, and ad content from content delivery networks.

Just looking at the forum where they completely ignore the actual issue, and as a hurdle to providing support cut-and-paste instructions to run (registry-hosing) ccleaner and publicly posting an intrusive system scan dump, makes me very wary of their software. I have previously used this software as one of many to detect malware, but like just about every AV, they've turned to bloated crap.

If an AV company actually set up a honeypot and characterized malicious Bitcoin port traffic sources, and based per-app blocking rules on this, it could be a useful service, but this looks like they are messing with your internet just so they can pop up a window to remind you that their software is doing something for your annual credit card charge.
Leehoya

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 08:04:14 AM

Anti virus companies should really explore the internet world more.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 10:00:38 AM

MBAM is great, but I think it is a good idea to disable the "website protection feature", or whatever it's called. With it turned on, I would always have trouble connecting to popular websites, and game servers. I don't know why they are blocked.
Xch4ng3

Activity: 661
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 07:19:50 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=244952.msg2716022#msg2716022

Have a read of that thread, it's mostly hosts which have been known to be less than kosher that seemed to get blocked. Not a bad thing. MBAM is fairly decent at detecting bad IPs - I personally have never had a false positive, and when an IP does get blocked, even if the site is 100% safe, it could be something simple as a bad ad network that's triggering the notification.

[AUTOBUY] [CHEAP] $2 Account Shop -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4611147
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: