Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:36:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Small recommendations for newcomers to make their threads to get merits easier  (Read 187 times)
tbct_mt2 (OP)

Activity: 2338
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 09:46:08 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2018, 02:16:31 PM by tbct_mt2

Hi all,

I glad to be here to day to help newbies/ newcomers of the forum small tutorial on how to avoid stupid mistakes when making threads, especially if they quoted someone else's thread.

As you can see, if you spend time in the forum to read around at many boards, topics, etc. You will find such a many-times quoted posts, like those ones. Please click to the link to see original threads because I don't want to quote them here and make my OP messy.
Lists of messy-quoted threads:
1. Example #1
2. Update later.

Do you agree with me that those threads really hard to follow the contents inside and to follow author of quoted topics. Sometimes, I strongly believe that users don't want or need to quote others posts, which in turn quoted from others.
Someone know how to do this, but they are too lazy.
Someone don't know how to to do this; consequently they did this simply because they don't know the following step:

So my recommendation is posters should only quoted no more than two earlier quotations to make their threads easier to read. For example, I edited the thread above a little bit:
What miner are you using? What video card are you using? What are you video card settings? What is your .bat file? What drivers are you using? Have you tried running miners for other algorithms?
Other miners on other coins work normally.
Then this is space for my words if I would like to comment in the psihotoc's post.

Or simplier, only quote psihotoc contents, like this one:
Then this is space for my words if I would like to comment in the psihotoc's post. A little bit better than the first version, right? How to do this? Simply delete un-wanted, un-necessary contents when you click on quote button before writing your comments.

Additionally, if I would like to discuss ideas of different users in the original thread, I will do like this:
Comment.

What miner are you using? What video card are you using? What are you video card settings? What is your .bat file? What drivers are you using? Have you tried running miners for other algorithms?
Comment.

Why the miner crashes after about 15 minutes of work. Is there another miner?
Comment.

How to delete un-necessary contents in your quotes

Ok. Now it's time to know how to delete unwanted contents in your quote (of you don't know).
With the example #1. With the original quote when clicking on Quote button, you will get something like this
|quote author=psihotoc link=topic=1831629.msg31820024#msg31820024 date=1520476425|
|quote author=Elder III link=topic=1831629.msg31808359#msg31808359 date=1520456356|
|quote author=psihotoc link=topic=1831629.msg31795036#msg31795036 date=1520442716|
|quote author=tbct_mt2 link=topic=1831629.msg31794277#msg31794277 date=1520442006|
|quote author=psihotoc link=topic=1831629.msg31793989#msg31793989 date=1520441740|
Help in General on this situation. You can other manners or advice on this miner.
|/quote|
What did you say? English broken. Really hard to understand.
|/quote|
|/quote|
|/quote|
|/quote|

Informations about threads creators and their contents presented respectively inside |quote| and |/quote| (I change a little bit, from [ and ] to | in order to display). So if you only want to display contents of psihotoc at msg31820024#msg31820024 date=1520476425; you have to delete all things, except

|quote author=psihotoc link=topic=1831629.msg31820024#msg31820024 date=1520476425|
|/quote|

To be honest, I didn't know how to do this before joining discussions in Meta board. I catch the behaviours of experienced-users and really think that this help a lot. I guess Hero/Ledgendary members didn't know how to do this at their earlier period of time they spent in the forum.  Grin
Hope my topic helps many users and the forum.

Note: The topic is under construction and will be updated with more example threads on Meta board.
Someone made a topic on the same issue as mine (after my topic):
Small rant about people quoting entire OP
darklus123

Activity: 1246
Merit: 588

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:50:37 AM

Nope, In my opinion you were actually wrong. Users are quoting a posts to create a discussion. If all the newbies were posting with regards to OP's post alone then there would be no proper discussion.

You should have to understand as well that you have to quote to specify who were you talking to. Now if you were the one who created the topic. Would you bother reading your thread whos post are directing to your post?(then I can consider that thread as a spam thread. You can simply refer the bitcoin discussion section as an example).
tbct_mt2 (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 10:01:05 AM

~ snip ~
No, what I meant is editing a little bit after clicking on Quote button, only quote what you want to quote for discussion. The problem occurs when newbies/newcomers want to join a discussion, which quoted so many times by many users to discuss; in sort of cases, they quote again and make their thread really messy, almost unable to follow flow of ideas. It is simly my opinion.

Instead, they should edit and quote contents of each users and discuss in a row, not quote all at one time. I guess there are so many newbies don't know how to do this simple step.

Ok, I think it's fine. It depends on your point of view. When I see such a messy-quoted thread by chance, I will update my topic with more neutral examples.
Now if you were the one who created the topic. Would you bother reading your thread whos post are directing to your post?(then I can consider that thread as a spam thread. You can simply refer the bitcoin discussion section as an example).
darklus123

Activity: 1246
Merit: 588

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 10:33:55 AM

No, what I meant is editing a little bit after clicking on Quote button, only quote what you want to quote for discussion. The problem occurs when newbies/newcomers want to join a discussion, which quoted so many times by many users to discuss; in sort of cases, they quote again and make their thread really messy, almost unable to follow flow of ideas. It is simly my opinion.

Instead, they should edit and quote contents of each users and discuss in a row, not quote all at one time. I guess there are so many newbies don't know how to do this simple step.

I get it, That kind of idea happens actually because of the other established member account or full member, even some of the sr.member and hero are doing the same thing because being to lazy. I am once a newbie before and was doing the same thing because of having a less knowledge about this type of posting and upon seeing this type of post newbies just followed it.

Ok, I think it's fine. It depends on your point of view. When I see such a messy-quoted thread by chance, I will update my topic with more neutral examples.

Your idea is good tho I admit it, you just have to establish your post more(since this is just a new one). Solutions later on should be posted and this newbies should have to understand where the problems are coming from
Alone055

Activity: 1064
Merit: 212

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 11:13:10 AM

Though it's a good suggestion, but I'm afraid that is not the only thing you need to do in order to get Merits (gosh, I'm tired of using this word). This thing can only make your posts more understandable, it doesn't make them constructive, and only the posts constructed informatively are appreciated.

tbct_mt2 (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 12:33:06 PM

~
Shocked I didn't say that this will help to make threads more constructive. Did you really understand what I meant in the OP?
Thread creators should make their posts in better-format, then move next to enhance their quality.
Of course, they can do both simultaneously. It is definitely better if threads are well-formated and constructive, high-quality.
hase0278

Activity: 882
Merit: 544

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 12:48:57 PM

Though it's a good suggestion, but I'm afraid that is not the only thing you need to do in order to get Merits (gosh, I'm tired of using this word).
At least one post would be easier to read and it would help clean a thread if everyone does this. In fact, one user on this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3092633.0 is ranting about those users quoting the entire OP, and OP's suggestions might help solve the problem he has on hand. OP should post this on the beginners and help section in order for this information to be seen by most newbies as they go there for help.
tbct_mt2 (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 12:54:37 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2018, 02:14:55 PM by tbct_mt2

At least one post would be easier to read and it would help clean a thread if everyone does this. In fact, one user on this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3092633.0 is ranting about those users quoting the entire OP, and OP's suggestions might help solve the problem he has on hand. OP should post this on the beginners and help section in order for this information to be seen by most newbies as they go there for help.
Thanks for your suggestion. I will create new topic to Beginners & help.
I have checked the link you gave. In fact, the creator of topic you mentioned created his topic after mine.

Edited: I have moved the topic from Meta to Beginners & help board.
fxstrike

Activity: 238
Merit: 40

First Payment Gateway using GoldBacked cryptocurre

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 02:21:43 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2018, 02:34:33 PM by fxstrike

Here is a better view of how to snip quotes

to remove the quote in the red box as shown above and leave only tbct_mt2 comment as a quote in your post, delete the text as highlighted in blue in the image below

After removing the blue highlighted part above you will have something like this in your preview editor

Code:
[quote author=tbct_mt2 link=topic=3092072.msg31917586#msg31917586 date=1520600077]
I have checked the link you gave. In fact, the creator of topic you mentioned created his topic after mine.

[/quote]

and the result should be like this when you click on preview button to view how its look like

tinhkynu88

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 04:25:21 AM

Nice explanations that help to make the topic clearer for newbies like me. I think author of the topic (tbct_mt2) should update the OP with images to make it easier to understand (especially how to delete un-unused contents in quotes).
WorldBiz project

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 11:42:27 PM

Thank you, looks handy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: