Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:56:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to protect your account from hackers  (Read 104 times)
TriplexXx (OP)

Activity: 176
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 11:07:40 AM
Merited by Lmaooo (5)

Real hackers don't hack people accounts, hacking people accounts is basically the work of script kiddies. So, they usually do so by Eavesdropping the network and using password snippers as well, such as wireshark, sslstrip, and subterfuge. Sometimes they used what is called session hijacking technique for less secure browsers (older versions) and change user's email and password.

Precautions
- Google Chrome browser is highly recommended. (it's the most secure browser out there)
- Update your browser all the time to avoid the latest vulnerability known as zero days.
- Use the following browser add-ons to stay more secure (fully compatible with other browsers as well).

- Ghoshery
- Adblock Plus
- HTTP everywhere
- Privacy Badger

I saw many people were complaining about their accounts been hacked that is why I decided to create this little guide to help others secure their accounts and online activities.

If you have a secure VPN - that's A+ don't forget to use it all the time.

If you have more ideas on how people can protect their accounts feel free to contribute. Thanks.
hase0278

Activity: 882
Merit: 544

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 01:54:57 PM

If you have more ideas on how people can protect their accounts feel free to contribute. Thanks.
Using a secure VPN is good if it is a trusted and proven one but if one used wrong vpn, they might end up with their accounts being hacked as the administrator of the Virtual Private Network can view what the user is doing. in addition to that, having a good anti virus and observing caution whenever downloading is also necessary to protect your account from hackers as they usually slip keyloggers and more onto different programs that looks useful at first.
Blue Tyrant
Copper Member

Activity: 70
Merit: 65

IOS - The secure, scalable blockchain

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 02:33:03 PM
Merited by LTU_btc (1)

~snip~

If I had to describe your tips in one line then it'd be: Good Intentions but overall, bad advice. Again I'm talking more of in an all rounding manner and not just in the hacker context.

- Google Chrome browser is highly recommended. (it's the most secure browser out there)

Arguable point on this, many prefer Chrome but I'd personally recommend you use FireFox. Remember Papa Google is watching and generally speaking most Google products are a privacy nightmare. Maybe Chromium if you have to use Chrome since the compatibility of extensions and other websites which may force you to stick to one browser is pretty similar for the duo.

- Ghoshery

For some reason every one still recommends this extension. Remember, Ghostery sold out. Not to mention it did rather shady business practices like sharing your data with advertisers before it did sell out to some other company.

- Adblock Plus

Another shitfest of an Adblocker, which whitelists ads which pay it essentially making it no different from an ad network.. Not to mention it generally sucks and lacks many of the features it's better competitor, uBlock Plus offers.

Decentish advice but it depends on how the end user implements it. If the end user uses some shitty free VPN then it's on them. My tip for this one is don't use a 14 eyes based VPN. I suggest reading some material off PrivacyTools and ThatOnePrivacySite for tips on how to select a decent VPN.

Overall all I'd add to this is:

• Add a proper staked address so if you are ever hacked you can help prove your identity for an admin like Theymos or Cyrus to quickly verify you and save both you and them time.
  • Use a lengthy password possibly stored in an offline and encrypted password tracker like Keepass (don't use Lasspass and the like)

Just my two sats

LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1338

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 03:10:56 PM

Why you are saying that Chromeis the most secure browser? Or it's just personal opinion?
I also can give some advises. First of all, use unique and difficult passwor on Bitcointalk. Don't use words in your password, just use random letters, numbers and symbols. It may not to be convenient, but it's more secure.
Bitcointalk don't have 2FA and it's huge downside.
And I can tell how my account was hacked in past. Hacker who had access to my email changed my Bitcointalk password by using "forgot password" function. Then he also changed email in my bitcointalk profile and I wasn't able to resset my password. Luckily, I was able to recover my account with my staked address. So, it was good lesson that I also have to protect my email and besides strong password, 2FA are also neccessary.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: