Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:09:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there any hope/usage for my rusty old computer ? [AM3]  (Read 123 times)
IIx (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 12:43:47 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2018, 12:56:42 PM by IIx

Smiley
Hello everyone,

my system is already 7 years old and I was wondering if you maybe know which alternatives i possibly have - to keep things short >
PC-Spec.:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
GPU: AMD 7950 / R200
MB: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX, DDR3-1600
SSD: 2 TB, 500 GB, 500 GB

It's pretty clear that i am far too late to even think about mining btc/eth but maybe another crypto to think about ?
BURST or ETN  maybe ?

discord.gg/M26gVU

:pinkwojak:
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ovisovyant1

Activity: 80
Merit: 11

EndChain - Complete Logistical Solution

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 01:01:11 PM

You should ask someone skilled in the field.
Pleasa visit at this board https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=14.0
You can get some lessons about minimum hardware/software specific to start minging.

Flodner

Activity: 1946
Merit: 350

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 06:00:37 PM

You can mine other cryptos.
Personally I use BOINC software - it helps in calculation in scientific projects and rewards you with Gridcoin
Also Gridcoin is one of my favorite cryptos. I feel that my computer's power is not wasted, but helps science a bit (even though I didn't get big amount of Gridcoins)
To know more about this coin you can check http://www.gridcoin.us/

As an option you can mine other cryptos just by downloading wallet and mining with CPU, i.e. Karbo
I mined it a bit, but of course don't expect to mine a lot

mlgblockchain

Activity: 135
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 06:31:53 PM

My computer is older than yours and my specs are a lot less qualified than yours. I'm still using it very happily. I guess your old computer needs some love and care, it has served a lot of time and if it's still be any use then give it to someone who will be benefited by getting this machine.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 06:44:10 PM

I'd put Linux on it, and run a full node. Then you can collect all the freebies from the coin forks. Smiley

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Johannson

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 07:00:33 PM

Smiley
Hello everyone,

my system is already 7 years old and I was wondering if you maybe know which alternatives i possibly have - to keep things short >
PC-Spec.:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
GPU: AMD 7950 / R200
MB: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX, DDR3-1600
SSD: 2 TB, 500 GB, 500 GB

It's pretty clear that i am far too late to even think about mining btc/eth but maybe another crypto to think about ?
BURST or ETN  maybe ?

discord.gg/M26gVU

:pinkwojak:

You can simply exchange the useful working parts with new ones and be paying some extra fee. You will get the advanced parts cheaper, and you can turn your PC into a miner or into anything you like!  Smiley How about that idea? Otherwise, if you don't wanna use it for mining or for playing 'tough' games, you can just keep it and use it for usual staff, like Facebook, email, bitcointalk, reddit, microsoft office, etc.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: