Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:32:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I need advice from experts  (Read 353 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Aveatrex (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 375

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 07:00:34 PM

I've been seeing alot of people getting their bitcoin stolen because they didn't take measures of security or they got keylogged or something like that.
Ofcourse nobody would like to get his cryptocurrencies lost so I'm asking some questions to experts,please only answer if you know what you are talking about,spam is not tolerated ( I will delete your post)

1-Should I consider buying a hardware wallet?
2-I'm currently using Windows for wallet,should I switch to Linux?
3-What additional measures should I take?

░░░▄▀█░░░▄░▄▄░▄░░░█▀▄
▄▄▄▀▀██▀░█▐▌█ ▀██▀▀▄▄▄
▐▌░░░▐▀░▄▀░▐▌░▀▄░▀▌░░░▐▌
▐▌░░░█░░▄▀▄▐▌▄▀▄░░█░░░▐▌
▐▌░░░█░░▀▄░▀▀░▄▀░░█░░░▐▌
▐▌░░▄░█▄░▀▄▐▌▄▀░▄█░▄░░▐▌
▐▌░█▄█░░▀▀▀██▀▀▀░░█▄█░▐▌
▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
▐█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▌
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄█▄░░░░░░░▄█▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄█▄░░░
░░░░▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░█▀▄▄▀▄▄▀█░░░▐▌▐▌
░░░░░░░▐▌▐▌
░░░░░░░░█▄░░░░▄█
█▄█▄▄▄▄▄█▄█░░░░▄▄▀▀▀▄▄
░░░░▄▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄██▀█▌▀▄
░░░██▄██▄▄█▀█▌█▐█▄█▌█▐█
░░░░█▄▄▄▄▄█▄█▌█▐█▄█▌█▐█
░░░░█▄█░░░░░█▄▄█▄█▄█▄█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀░░░▀▀▄█▄█▄▀▀

░░░██▄▄░░██░██
▄▄░░░░░▀█░█▄▐▌░░░░░▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▐▌▄█▐▌░░░░█░▀▀
░░░░░░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
░░░░░░█░▀▀▀▀▀▀▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▄
░░▀▀░░█▄▀▀▀▀▀█▄▀
░░░░░░░█▐▌▀█░█
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▐▌░█░░▀▀▀▀▀▀█
░░░░░░░░██░░▀▀▀▀▀██░██

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pvk444

Activity: 252
Merit: 47

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 07:12:18 PM

I've been seeing alot of people getting their bitcoin stolen because they didn't take measures of security or they got keylogged or something like that.
Ofcourse nobody would like to get his cryptocurrencies lost so I'm asking some questions to experts,please only answer if you know what you are talking about,spam is not tolerated ( I will delete your post)

As for credential, I work in the data protection field and have seen various scenarios of what can go wrong.

1. If you are concerned about hacked or compromised wallets, then yes. Just remember, that it's sometime easier to steal the hardware wallet than hacking a software wallet.
2. Depends, if you are knowledgable in Linux, you can create a more secure environment for your wallet. As a normal user, however, the windows wallets are often less "fussy" out-of-the-box
3. If you can, use several wallets and locations to store your coins. This is trivial, but IMHO still the best way to protect your coins. Even if one of the wallets it compromised or lost, the damage will be minimized
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 3647

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 07:23:48 PM

This depends on the following
  • Amount of Bitcoins: Don't spend $100 on a hardware wallet to hold $10.
  • How long do you plan to hold bitcoin?
  • no need to trade in Bitcoin.

2-I'm currently using Windows for wallet, should I switch to Linux?

No, But Linux is less vulnerable to viruses and safer compared to Windows.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:49:29 PM

If you see it necessary, Hardware wallet are cheaper nowadays than two years ago, but as long as you keep your PC secure a desktop wallet is enough.

I'm using Windows and had no problem with my wallet being stolen so far.
Windows 10 has a pretty neat security, as long as you didn't install sketchy program you should be fine.
But, if you want to be really safe, you can just dual boot your PC with Linux and Windows ( or completely change your everyday OS to Linux)

Don't install sketchy programs, always check your PC for Malware (I did this daily), use common sense before doing anything is by far the best measures against Malware or scams.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2018, 02:31:45 PM
Merited by suchmoon (2), HCP (1), ManaMan (1)

It depends.

1) Is the amount you want to store big enough to 'absorb' the purchase easily?
2) Are you not dedicated or technically adepted enough to create a full air-gapped offline storage with offline TX signing?
3) Do you want to be able to access your cryptos frequently without running any risk of getting compromised (mobility)?

I'd say if you can answer at least 2 out of these question with a yes you might consider buying one.

While 95%+ of the malware is written for windows, a (standard) linux system is not much more secured in an attack which is targeted at you.
Generally, you are a bit more secured when using unix compared to a windows system.

If you are familiar with linux, why not. You also might try a dual setup.
You can use (or start getting used to) a linux system while still being able to boot into windows for every-days usage.
This combines a more secured environment for your cryptos with the usability of a windows system for browsing/working.

I think the most important is to keep the common sense.
  • Never share any private details
    Neither private keys/seeds nor name/address/etc.. or how much you hold
  • Nothing is for free.
    Fishy emails which promise you high returns or free money are always scam.
    If it sounds too good to be true, it most probably is.
    Noone is ever going to give you money for free.
  • Dont chase any shitcoins forked from BTC
    A huge amount of people got scammed in the BTG scam and the BCH pump 'n dumps
    Replay-attacks might be a danger (depending on the individual fork)

An additional tip would be to use an browser extensions which standardly blocks any scripts run on a website (e.g. NoScript for firefox [https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/noscript/]).
This, for example, would have blocked the possible exploitation of the last electrum vulnerability.

Thats the first what shot through my head when reading your questions.

Full (100%) security can never be achieved.
Your goal should be to come as close as possible to the 100%.

For any further thoughts/answers regarding staying safe and secured.. feel free to ask as much as you want.
I think this is a vital topic for cryptocurrencies. Since BTC gives us the power to be the (only) owner of our money, we are also the only ones responsible to secure our money.

P.s. Don't use exchanges or web wallets to store amounts which you don't want to lose. Its only your money if you control the private keys.

ManaMan

Activity: 238
Merit: 38

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 08:12:02 PM

To be honest I prefer using debian for sensitive stuff such as cryptocurrency wallets etc. You can install linux on an USB stick and then hold your wallets there so you plug it in whenever you want to do transaction so it runs only on ram and try to have it as cleaned as possible.

Don't simply think that linux = safe heaven, you still want to take some precautions. Thing with windows is that it is widely used OS and thus you have many more hacks/keyloggers and other harmful software. On linux however the easiest way to get malware is to install it yourself by installing some software, because for malware to get to your computer without your permission an attacker has to target particular distribution and to know a lot about it to be able to pull of an attack.

Honestly hardware wallets can't protect you from malwares that for instance change your content in clipboard etc. just hardware wallets are much easier to use specially for non tech people who do not want to learn a lot and want safe and easy solution.
kahc

Activity: 350
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 08:30:14 PM

This is the safest solution and highly recommended.
However, I personally wouldn't have bothered if I we are talking about 1 month's worth of salary.

The top reasons for people getting their Bitcoin stolen are:
Phishing login website, Fake wallet and Entering private keys online.
Keylogging is a less common method.
I won't matter if you use Windows or Linux if you are explicitly targeted.

Use a good Anti-virus - https://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/
Use an open source password manager like Keepass for all your passwords.
Use Windows Firewall Control or similar software for full control of outgoing connections.
Do not trust messages or links sent to you randomly via email, Twitter, etc.
Always navigate directly to a site before you enter information. Do not enter information after clicking a link from a message or email.
Install an AdBlocker and do not click ads on your search engine.
Be aware of non-open source apps.

onnz423

Activity: 840
Merit: 508

Make winning bets on sports with Sportsbet.io!

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 11:03:58 PM

It really depends how much of a target you are, if you're a whale sitting on some serious coin, it would be a wise investment to use a tiny fraction of this to invest in a Nano S or Trezor wallet. Once you've got a hardware wallet it won't be necessary to switch to a more secure operating system, as the hardware wallet will protect you adequately.

▄▄██████▄▄
  ████████████
███▄▄
 ██████████████▀▀▀██▄
████████████████   ▀██▄
████████████████     ▀██
██████████████       ██▌
██████████████        ▐██
██▌▀▀██████▀▀         ▐██
▐██                   ██▌
 ██▄                 ▄██
  ▀██▄             ▄██▀
    ▀██▄▄▄     ▄▄▄██▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

███████████████████████████
████████▀▀       ▀▀████████
█████▀   ▄ ▀███▀ ▄   ▀█████
████  ▄████▄ ▀ ▄████▄  ████
███  ▄ ▀███▀ ▄ ▀███▀ ▄  ███
██  ▄██ ▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▀ ██▄  ██
██  █▀ ▄█ ███████ █▄ ▀█  ██
██   ▄███▄ █████ ▄███▄   ██
███  ████▀ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████  ███
████  ▀ ▄ ▀█████▀ ▄ ▀  ████
█████▄  ▀▀▄ ███ ▄▀▀  ▄█████
████████▄▄       ▄▄████████
███████████████████████████

█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
Aura

Activity: 518
Merit: 268

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 06:12:41 PM

Should I consider buying a hardware wallet?
Air-gapped machines with offline signing are considered safer, but they require some research and knowledge. However, both are considered very safe. You have far more security than one using a software wallet on his everyday use laptop. The benefit of a hardware wallet over air-gapped machines is it's support for multiple altcoins.

I'm currently using Windows for wallet,should I switch to Linux?
Linux has a smaller attack surface than Windows, as statistics show that Windows users are far more often targeted for malware. Although you're fine to use it for your offline machine, it wouldn't have cons compared to Linux.

What additional measures should I take?
- Make sufficient backups including paper backups.
- Use good passwords, the more characters you use, the better.

I personally really like Armory as a wallet, but it requires you to run a full node.
vit05

Activity: 672
Merit: 526

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 06:53:59 PM

I have not seen anyone suggesting it, but a device that is very simple to use for anyone who just wants to securely store their Bitcoin is the opendime. It does not fit for anyone who wants to use Bitcoin in the short term, but it works very well as a Piggy bank. And you can change the device for fiat directly with the person, without having to pay any fee and with a lot more discretion.

https://opendime.com/store
crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 06:56:05 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2018, 06:02:19 AM by crairezx20

For me here is my answer.

1. No, Desktop wallet is enough just add more 2nd layer of securty like passwrod.
2. No you don't need to switch to any OS windows 7 or 10 is enough to make a secured bitcoin wallet.
3. Just make sure your wallet is secured with password(if you are using  dekstop wallet like electrum wallet)

just use a wallet that you can handle your private key because anytime you can recover and store your wallet if you need it.
If you install a wallet without password secured and you can't backup the private key. there is high possibility that your wallet can be hack. like what happens to other electrum users. because they are not adding the 2nd layer of security password.
Hacker can retrieve seed phrase and private key once
your wallet is free or no password. so always keep your wallet secured with password added.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: