Bitcoin Forum
April 10, 2024, 06:22:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum to Nano Ledger S Transfer Question  (Read 124 times)
jerry0 (OP)

Activity: 1736
Merit: 186

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:00:58 PM

I recently got a nano ledger s from the manufacturer.  I set up my nano ledger s already with the ledge wallet bitcoin app on chrome.  I made it bitcoin and segwit.  I then sent a tiny amount of btc from my electrum wallet to my nano ledger s wallet.  I did it with the smallest fees of within 5 blocks and the funds hit my wallet within 30 minutes or even less.

Does this mean if i send a bigger amount of btc now to my nano ledger s and then i use the same fees and it shows the same btc fee... will the transaction take much longer if the btc transfer is a lot bigger?  Say you first tested out 0.00001 btc but now you do 0.5 btc etc.  But it displays the same btc fee.  Will it take much longer time?

The other thing is this.  I want to know if i configured my nano ledger s correctly 100 percent.  I actually reset it few times already with a new 24 word phrase each time to reset it.  This time i did it and have the pin and the 24 word phrase.  Now when i click on ledger wallet bitcoin... before i sent any btc from electrum to nano ledger s... it shows my account and 0 btc balance.  There is an option on the top right to ADD AN ACCOUNT.  However when i clicked it earlier, it gives message you cannot do this because you don't have any btc in your current account etc.  Well now that i sent tiny amount of btc from electrum to nano s... well i could actually click ADD AN ACCOUNT and it gives option to add name and color.  First off, is this necessary or not?  Thus i was watching a nano ledger s video that showed someone doing this.  But this does not apply to me right?  Thus the only thing im concerned about is looking at the

My account btc amount and the USD balance right?

Thus at the moment, my nano ledger s is secure and fine?  I want to make sure of this before i send the rest of my btc from electrum to nano ledger s.  I do have my pin and 24 word phrase.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rickorick

Activity: 107
Merit: 8

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:14:19 PM

Import your seed into a new wallet in electrum and see if the coins show up, if it does, then you should be fine.
jerry0 (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:20:29 PM

Im confused.  You want me to create a new electrum wallet and have btc sent from old electrum wallet to new one?  First off, why would i do this?  I want to have btc in my nano ledger s.

Also another related question.  I sent btc from electrum to nano ledger s with small fee.  But since i used segwit for nano ledger s, my btc receiving address on nano ledger s starts with a 3 right? 

The other thing is i did a few small transfer from electrum to nano ledger s.  It does show unconfirmed on electrum.... those transactions do show up in nano ledger s but shows unconfirmed.  But eventually it will show as confirmed right?  Thus the transfer is correct but i just have until it gets confirmed?  Also there are no issues sending more btc from electrum when it has unconfirmed transactions and if it shows unconfirmed transactions on nano ledger s right? 
jerry0 (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:34:31 PM

Hey all so now the unconfirmation is not there anymore on the ledger wallet bitcoin.  It also shows the transaction has went through on electrum.

So just to make sure.

Right now my ledger wallet bitcoin shows

My Account   X.X BTC    USD Amount

It shows on the top right corner the USD value and the btc i have.

I also written down my 24 word phrase and my pin number.

I also had reset my nano ledger a few times.  Thus i had to write down 24 words several times already.

So that means my ledger wallet bitcoin wallet is safe right as long as my 24 word key and pin number is not shown to others?  I want to make sure of this before i transfer the rest of my btc from electrum to the nano ledger s.
jerry0 (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:47:04 PM

Hey all just noticed a strange issue.  I was watching a youtube video where it mentions some man in the middle attack etc.  They say when you give your btc address for someone to send you, you cant trust the btc address shown in the bitcoin address.  First off, isn't that the address you are sending btc to from?  For example when i send btc to nano ledger s, that is the address i copy and paste right?  Because i did a few transfers and it does show up in my wallet.

However according to the video, you are suppose to click on a monitor that would actually display the btc address on the nano ledger s.  First off, there isn't that option.  There is only 2 icons to choose from... one is to email and the other is to print etc.  On the video, there is a 3rd icon you could click on etc which according to the person in the video, you could view your btc receiving address on your nano ledger s to confirm.  Is there a reason why this doesn't show up in my nano ledger?

The other thing is when i clicked on receive btc. why is my btc receiving address different from the ones i previously sent to?  It still starts off with the number 3 but the rest of the letters/numbers are different.  This doesn't make sense because shouldn't i only have one btc address since i did not generate another btc address in nano ledger s?  I just want to make sure of this as i already transferred some btc to the nano ledger s already.
Rickorick

Activity: 107
Merit: 8

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:48:25 PM

Yes as long as you have your seed, you are safe. and what i meant was for you to confirm the seed is working, you can always create a new wallet with the ledger seed in electrum and check.
jerry0 (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 09:52:51 PM

okay thanks.  You mean such as if my nano ledger is lost or stolen or not working right? 

but do you know the answer to the other questions i asked?  I do not understand why my btc receiving address changed and also... where is the option/icon of showing the receiving btc address on my nano ledger s?  Or is that only for sending btc such as it would display the address you are sending to confirm you are sending to that address.  Because in youtube video, it shows someone putting their receiving address and like they copy and paste it to someone else to send them btc and they want to make sure they btc address they copy to someone else is their address in case a man in middle attack makes that address something else so the other person send btc to someone else as oppose to them.
jerry0 (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 02:04:14 AM

Hey there one other thing i want to ask.  So when i sent btc from electrum to my nano ledger s, it does show it in the ledger wallet bitcoin when i send it.

So that means i do not need to try to send any btc from the nano ledger s to say electrum just to test that it works right?  Thus since i received btc to my nano ledger s without issue, then sending will be zero issues?

Thanks all.
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 01:11:51 PM

okay thanks.  You mean such as if my nano ledger is lost or stolen or not working right?  
Yes. You can always restore your bitcoins using your seed phrase.

but do you know the answer to the other questions i asked?  I do not understand why my btc receiving address changed and also...
Users aren't meant to reuse addresses for privacy reasons, so your receiving address changes everything you receive a transaction.
However, from the "seed" your wallet can always generate the "tree" of old private keys and thus addresses so even though you send bitcoins to the old receiving addresses generated by the Ledger, the Ledger would see it and you can access it.

where is the option/icon of showing the receiving btc address on my nano ledger s?  Or is that only for sending btc such as it would display the address you are sending to confirm you are sending to that address.  
Press the button that looks like a computer/momitor at the bottom of the receive address window in the Chrome app. It's located under the QR code. Your address will be displayed on the device.
Hey there one other thing i want to ask.  So when i sent btc from electrum to my nano ledger s, it does show it in the ledger wallet bitcoin when i send it.

So that means i do not need to try to send any btc from the nano ledger s to say electrum just to test that it works right?  Thus since i received btc to my nano ledger s without issue, then sending will be zero issues?

Thanks all.
You should test that too to make sure you have no issues sending out.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2018, 03:18:16 PM

So that means my ledger wallet bitcoin wallet is safe right as long as my 24 word key and pin number is not shown to others?  I want to make sure of this before i transfer the rest of my btc from electrum to the nano ledger s.

The 24 word seed phrase can be used to derive all of your private keys (and therefore to access all of your funds).
The pin is just a security feature against physical access to your nano (it will wipe itself after 3 failed attempts).

Hey all just noticed a strange issue.  I was watching a youtube video where it mentions some man in the middle attack etc.  They say when you give your btc address for someone to send you, you cant trust the btc address shown in the bitcoin address.  First off, isn't that the address you are sending btc to from?  For example when i send btc to nano ledger s, that is the address i copy and paste right?  Because i did a few transfers and it does show up in my wallet.

Your transfers showed up because noone was trying to steal your funds at that moment.
A man-in-the-middle attack doesn't happen 'by accident'. Someone has to be actively targeting you.
You can read more about a MITM here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack

However according to the video, you are suppose to click on a monitor that would actually display the btc address on the nano ledger s.  First off, there isn't that option.  There is only 2 icons to choose from... one is to email and the other is to print etc.  On the video, there is a 3rd icon you could click on etc which according to the person in the video, you could view your btc receiving address on your nano ledger s to confirm.  Is there a reason why this doesn't show up in my nano ledger?

You should be able to see this button:

If not: What versions are you using (BTC app on your nano s / BTC chrome app / nano s firmware) ?
When did you update your nano s the last time?

The other thing is when i clicked on receive btc. why is my btc receiving address different from the ones i previously sent to?  It still starts off with the number 3 but the rest of the letters/numbers are different.  This doesn't make sense because shouldn't i only have one btc address since i did not generate another btc address in nano ledger s?  I just want to make sure of this as i already transferred some btc to the nano ledger s already.

A new receiving address will be generated each time you receive btc's.
This is done for privacy reasons (e.g. to make it harder to see your overall funds).
You can still send coins to your previously used addresses. They will always be accessable and usable!

So that means i do not need to try to send any btc from the nano ledger s to say electrum just to test that it works right?  Thus since i received btc to my nano ledger s without issue, then sending will be zero issues?

You can try it out.. but don't really have to.
If (most unprobable, but if somehow) the sending of your coins doesn't work you will still be able to import your 24-word seed into any other BIP39-compatible wallet (e.g. electrum) to access your funds.

HCP
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 4316

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 02:55:26 AM
Last edit: November 15, 2023, 08:11:10 AM by HCP

You should be able to see this button:

https://www.ledger.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/DVHGZESX4AEq72z-768x847.jpg

If not: What versions are you using (BTC app on your nano s / BTC chrome app / nano s firmware) ?
When did you update your nano s the last time?
Just FYI, this has been changed with the new Ledger 1.4.1 Firmware and the updated Ledger Bitcoin Wallet Chrome App released a day or 2 ago... you now see this when you click "receive":

Once you click on the button, it'll display the "standard" receive dialog with address and QR code etc (NOTE: No button to display address on this dialog now!):

and you'll get a "confirm address" displayed on the Ledger device itself:

As stated, on the dialog, if you press the "tick" button to confirm the address, the dialog window on Ledger Bitcoin Wallet Chrome App will close... which is, in my opinion, a little irritating to start with.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████