Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:04:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My O.S. freezes when GPU mining  (Read 3030 times)
Zhukov0 (OP)

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 07:29:07 PM

Hi all.

I started some weeks ago GPU Mining with an AMD HD7870XT i bought. It was mining OK! but i don't know why, some days ago, my O.S.'s started to crash while i was GPU Mining... usually, after between 30/60 minutes of continuous mining.

Some technical details: i used CGMINER 3.5 and Poclbm on Linux Mint, and CGMINER 3.4 on Windows 7. On twice systems, on twice miners, happened the same. But first days i was mining, it was everything OK.

I don't guess it's a temperature issue. I put GPU fans at 100% while mining (on Linux and on Windows i have programs to auto-regulate fans). PC case is hot, yes, but i also use my computer to play videogames... i can have Battlefield 3 or Battlefield 4 Beta running on Medium-High-Ultra like 3 continuous hours, and it doesn't crashes.

But when system crashes, i guess it crashes the GPU???..... because, if for example i'm downloading something, LAN Card activity led is blinking, and HDD led too. But mouse doesn't works, Caps/NumLock lights are freezed... if i plug a USB device (tried an USB Drive and a Xbox360 controller), it sometimes get recognised (you can check on USB/controller lights)

So, somebody knows what can be happening??
Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PinkBatman

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 07:35:25 PM

Try a lower intensity.
chandrakant

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:40:18 AM

I had the same problem. It was because my gpu was overheating & i kept my intensity setting high.
So try lowering your intensity setting in CGminer to some thing like 13 or 15. That should help.
Also update your drivers to the latest & try to keep your GPU cool by adding some fans in the case.
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:43:02 AM

Also check for your thread concurrency maybe it's way more than the tolerable memory left. So you get the freeze.

Try intensity 13, thread concurrency 8192

it should be fine.
Zhukov0 (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 07:17:12 AM

Thanks for reply.
I use "d" Intensity option, and on Cgminer always shows me I=6. I=13 is too high, i mean, computer runs no so good, and i usually want to mine while i'm doing things on the internet.
Thread-concurrency... i'm gonna try it, i just tried it on Litecoin mining, and i don't exactly remember if it crashed while i was mining LTC.

tks!
UMP-45

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 09:57:32 PM

It might be overheating, try to increase the fan speed.
Zhukov0 (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 10:05:18 PM

okay, you got reason, it was by temperature... but not problem of gpu temperature, i'm having same temperature than sometimes when crashed and now it's fine... what i did, i removed the cover of my computer case, so now haven't crashed anytime yet. I guess it should be problem of... mboard chipset??? maybe. Back fan was taking a nice hot air, power supply fan too.

well, tks by replies!!!  Cheesy
UMP-45

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 10:54:52 PM

okay, you got reason, it was by temperature... but not problem of gpu temperature, i'm having same temperature than sometimes when crashed and now it's fine... what i did, i removed the cover of my computer case, so now haven't crashed anytime yet. I guess it should be problem of... mboard chipset??? maybe. Back fan was taking a nice hot air, power supply fan too.

Good idea.
Keep minin'!
evansearle42

Activity: 366

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 12:47:49 PM

Undervolt would help you to lower down the heat even further... Smiley
fattypig

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 03:00:54 PM

What was your temperature, I rarely crash due to temperature even if it hit high of 80 C.

deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 01:49:23 PM

What was your temperature, I rarely crash due to temperature even if it hit high of 80 C.

5xxx cards used to run stable at 95(grudgengly and in fits but they could stay there for days) so he must have approached 100c

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
leannemckim46

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 02:59:36 PM

5xxx cards used to run stable at 95(grudgengly and in fits but they could stay there for days) so he must have approached 100c

My card only hit 65c. You really need to find some solutions fast Smiley

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
polarhei

Activity: 462

Firing it up

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 03:17:25 PM

overload or underloaded?
petersiddle98

Activity: 272

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 02:05:52 PM

Hi all.

I started some weeks ago GPU Mining with an AMD HD7870XT i bought. It was mining OK! but i don't know why, some days ago, my O.S.'s started to crash while i was GPU Mining... usually, after between 30/60 minutes of continuous mining.

Some technical details: i used CGMINER 3.5 and Poclbm on Linux Mint, and CGMINER 3.4 on Windows 7. On twice systems, on twice miners, happened the same. But first days i was mining, it was everything OK.

I don't guess it's a temperature issue. I put GPU fans at 100% while mining (on Linux and on Windows i have programs to auto-regulate fans). PC case is hot, yes, but i also use my computer to play videogames... i can have Battlefield 3 or Battlefield 4 Beta running on Medium-High-Ultra like 3 continuous hours, and it doesn't crashes.

But when system crashes, i guess it crashes the GPU???..... because, if for example i'm downloading something, LAN Card activity led is blinking, and HDD led too. But mouse doesn't works, Caps/NumLock lights are freezed... if i plug a USB device (tried an USB Drive and a Xbox360 controller), it sometimes get recognised (you can check on USB/controller lights)

So, somebody knows what can be happening??
Thanks!

Do it caseless and problem solve..

rampalija

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 05:29:21 PM

it should work when intensity is on 17. Listen to me try to reinsatll your OS

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: