Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:43:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did I do the right thing?  (Read 1230 times)
berupter (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:37:10 AM

Alright, so the bitcoin frenzy caught me big time to the point where I wake up at night and check how my miners are doing. I sort of became a gambler and risk taker having spend about $2500 on mining hardware already. It hasn't been two weeks since I started doing this and I'm already selling my two 10GH miners (block erupter blades) to upgrade to a beefier 60GH BFL unit. I know it's not a lot considering some people are running racks full of them but this has become a problem for me. I always get the buyer's remorse and wish have saved the money instead (my savings account has a little over $100 in it  Sad) ... it's a gut wrenching feeling, I want to stop but I'm addicted to those freaking numbers!!!

My biggest fear is that once mining becomes unprofitable I won't even be able to sell the hardware for half the cost.

I'm curios if anyone else is in the same boat or I just deserve to be smacked.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:43:40 AM

At this point, consider just buying BTC rather than mining it. With $2,500, you could buy ~20 BTC. If you buy the hardware, wait for it to ship, then spend months (maybe a year+) mining you'll finally get that 20 BTC.

Whether it be tomorrow, or in another few years, Bitcoins are going to be worth even more than they are now. Whether you buy, or mine, both are smart investments. The dollar has been on the decline for the past hundred years. Either buying or mining are smart investment moves. And it's debatable which is the best. I personally think buying BTC is the better option right now. Once the difficulty starts to pan out, consider purchasing some hardware.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:47:18 AM

At this point, consider just buying BTC rather than mining it. With $2,500, you could buy ~20 BTC. If you buy the hardware, wait for it to ship, then spend months (maybe a year+) mining you'll finally get that 20 BTC.

Whether it be tomorrow, or in another few years, Bitcoins are going to be worth even more than they are now. Whether you buy, or mine, both are smart investments. The dollar has been on the decline for the past hundred years. Either buying or mining are smart investment moves. And it's debatable which is the best. I personally think buying BTC is the better option right now. Once the difficulty starts to pan out, consider purchasing some hardware.

Not just the dollar but all of the fiat are inflating badly at  almost more than 7% annually. Also with your decision to sell it, its up to you but don't stop mining until you're about to ship it so you could squeeze few juice out of it.
berupter (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:51:49 AM

Not just the dollar but all of the fiat are inflating badly at  almost more than 7% annually. Also with your decision to sell it, its up to you but don't stop mining until you're about to ship it so you could squeeze few juice out of it.

Oh yeah, my miners are hard at work as I type this Grin It's hard to stop knowing that every hour counts. The thought of keeping the two miners along with the BFL unit crossed my mind but I need to offset my debt somehow.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:55:56 AM
Last edit: October 12, 2013, 06:09:05 AM by freedomno1

Don't buy the BFL unit  Wink
Try Knc or if you feel a bit less gamblish than BFL for the same price cointerra or bitgarden
Edit hmm BTCGarden offers
200 G/H got the price of a bfl 60 mumble

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
dhenson
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 06:03:14 AM

If you have cash on hand, buy btc and hold it.  There isn't a miner or pre-order that exists where you would make more btc for your USD. And this goes without saying, but never buy a miner with bitcoin... The days of that being profitable are over forever.

If you are using a credit card, I would suggest KNC as they are the only one to my knowledge that currently accepts CC, or wait a week or two, as Hashfast is about to add Credit cards to their payment options.  Most likely the USD you spend on a miner will make you money because of the BTC/USD exchange rate.  This isn't really a profit from mining, rather a profit from hedging the falling price of USD vs. BTC. (if it were possible to buy BTC with CC I would be telling you to do that instead of mining)

Don't buy anything with + 1W/GH power consumption, that means KNC, Hashfast, Bitfury or Cointerra are your only options (VMC is a joke).

Cointerra has missed their tape-out deadline so don't plan on those coming in on time.
berupter (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 06:07:10 AM

What's the problem with BFL? In my case I already paid for it so I will have it delivered in a couple of days (ebay auction).
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 06:10:05 AM

What's the problem with BFL? In my case I already paid for it so I will have it delivered in a couple of days (ebay auction).

Was about to say the damn things don't deliver but if you got one from ebay I guess that works
Still 200/GH for same price as a BFL 60/GH interesting

But agree with Dhenson on the points above to an extent (Nvm loss)

berupter (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 06:15:13 AM

Was about to say the damn things don't deliver but if you got one from ebay I guess that works

But agree with Dhenson on the points above to an extent the calculator shows profit though so interesting

Are the 200/GH units ready to ship or pre-orders? This sounds very intriguing...
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 06:17:55 AM

But agree with Dhenson on the points above to an extent the calculator shows profit though so interesting

Are the 200/GH units ready to ship or pre-orders? This sounds very intriguing...

Not quite sure looks soon btcgarden looks like they are shipping very soon unlike labcoin
It's a Chinese company though
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=264696.msg3298572#msg3298572

Anyways have fun with it

Cheers

PS: I edited it re-looked at difficulty was a negative by january

cowandtea

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 06:18:40 AM

Just buy Bitcoin instead will get your further, but since you already bought why not sell it while it still have values Smiley

CryptoBubbles

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 03:07:44 PM

Mine alts also  Cheesy

hermann1983

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 09:45:16 PM

Once the difficulty starts to pan out, consider purchasing some hardware.

Will be interesting how low the price per 1GH/s can go next year. I waiting where the difficulty stop before considering buying...
dragonkid

Activity: 84

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 10:01:05 PM

Don't buy BFL!! Haven't you read that everyone didn't get their BFL until 12 months later? Shocked

duravello

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 10:04:09 PM

Don't buy BFL!! Haven't you read that everyone didn't get their BFL until 12 months later? Shocked

Thats true, and while their products are shipping faster now, compettitors offer better deals in my opinion
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 10:26:17 PM

Alright, so the bitcoin frenzy caught me big time ... having spend about $2500 on mining hardware already.
My biggest fear is that once mining becomes unprofitable I won't even be able to sell the hardware for half the cost.

There are a lot of people in the same boat as you and you all deserve to be smacked. Just the fact that you have invested $2500 in mining equipment without any idea of how much bitcoin you might mine is solid evidence that you have made a huge mistake.

It's not clear from your posts what you got for your $2500, but I hope that you got at least 120 GH/s. That's how much you will need to break even on a $2500 investment if you start mining now. My prediction of the break-even price for 1 GH/s is about 0.18 BTC (before expenses).

Selling your used equipment won't work (in theory). The value of your equipment will fall slightly faster than the difficulty rises, and even more if you overpaid. In a month, your equipment will be worth less than half of what it is worth now.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Shallow

Activity: 938
Merit: 255

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 10:32:56 PM

Mining is only for group buys and people with enormous starting capital now Tongue

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
gooryheta

Activity: 167

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 10:39:16 PM

Mining is only for group buys and people with enormous starting capital now Tongue

Not if your courious and just want to try it a little as a hobby

__                 ☆☆☆ TrustedCar Flex │ Changing Car Ownership Forever ☆☆☆                  __
‗/l__l\__                                 Token Sale June up to 30% Bonus                               __/l__l\‗
╘Θ═╧═Θ.╛   WhitepaperLightpaperANN ThreadFacebookTwitterTelegram   ╘.Θ═╧═Θ╛
berupter (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 06:17:50 PM

Alright, so the bitcoin frenzy caught me big time ... having spend about $2500 on mining hardware already.

There are a lot of people in the same boat as you and you all deserve to be smacked. Just the fact that you have invested $2500 in mining equipment without any idea of how much bitcoin you might mine is solid evidence that you have made a huge mistake.

It's not clear from your posts what you got for your $2500, but I hope that you got at least 120 GH/s. That's how much you will need to break even on a $2500 investment if you start mining now. My prediction of the break-even price for 1 GH/s is about 0.18 BTC (before expenses).

Selling your used equipment won't work (in theory). The value of your equipment will fall slightly faster than the difficulty rises, and even more if you overpaid. In a month, your equipment will be worth less than half of what it is worth now.

One week of mining at 20GH/s will get me about $180 in a month considering I've made $46 in a week or $540/month with both blades and the BFL unit mining in parallel (considering no difficulty increase). At this rate I will brake even in 6 months but my goal was to hold onto my bit coins and pay off my investment with fiat money. It is a risk I was willing to take from the start, I've made much worse decisions before...
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 08:04:38 PM
Last edit: October 13, 2013, 08:31:38 PM by odolvlobo

One week of mining at 20GH/s will get me about $180 in a month considering I've made $46 in a week or $540/month with both blades and the BFL unit mining in parallel (considering no difficulty increase). At this rate I will brake even in 6 months but my goal was to hold onto my bit coins and pay off my investment with fiat money. It is a risk I was willing to take from the start, I've made much worse decisions before...

But, don't you know that the difficulty is increasing about 30% every 11 days? Do you understand what effect that will have on your earnings?

You say you currently make $540 per month, or roughly $18 per day. Over the next 11 days you will make $180, and then you will make 30% less, or $126, over the following 11 days,  and so on. Let's look at what you will make (rounded to the nearest dollar):

DaysIncomeTotal Income
11$180$180
22$126$306
33$ 88$394
44$ 62$456
55$ 43$499
66$ 30$529
77$ 21$551
88$ 15$565
99$ 10$576
110$ 7$583
121$ 5$588
132$ 4$592
143$ 2$594
154$ 2$596
165$ 1$597
176$ 1$598
187$ 1$599

After 6 months, you will have earned only $600, not $2500.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: